Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

GP Ultra Sport ARF, would you buy it?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
47.62%
No
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

GP Ultra Sport ARF, would you buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:38 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GP Ultra Sport ARF, would you buy it?

Just out of curiosity, how many people would be interested in a Modern ARF version of the GP Ultra Sport?

My US-60 kit is sitting on a shelf and who knows when it will get built. I'd personally love to buy a nice ARF version with all the modern bells & whistles if one were available.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 PM
XTOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Ultra Sport ARF, would you buy it?

Nope...

Mike Hammer
Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Never!!

Ken
Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 PM
ChuckW

If no, why not?

Since everyone talks about how well it flys, I just wonder if it would do well as an ARF?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to believe they would sell a decent amount of them. That being said i would'nt buy one. I still have a kit built UltraSport+ that i fly along with a UltraSport 40 and a 60 kit new in box.

I remember flying someones older style ultrasport ARF had a 46 OS something or other converted to diesel. Good flying plane. My big problem and i mean a really big problem with me buying any new airplane is i have way to many airplanes, Both built and unbuilt. But if i was low on airplanes i would most definately consider one.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

If the Ultra Sport Plus came in a .60-.90 size ARF I'd buy it. Not sure how that would turn into a vote, so I didn't.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
dignlivn

Hey Chuck,

I would, if it was the 60 size,

Bob
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I've flown both the Ultra Sport and the Ultra Sport + and the "+" does not fly as well as the original Ultra Sport. Just because the added a "plus" doesn't mean it's better. IMHO it's a marketing tool to sell an airplane. The Ultra Sport + was and has been on the market for years, and yet I spent the time campaigning Great Planes to bring back the Ultra Sport. There was a reason why I went through the effort to do that.

As for the ARF, it's just one of those things. I don't want an Ultra Sport ARF. I'm afraid that the process of converting the plane to an ARF production plane will just mess up the "magic" that makes the Ultra Sport such a great plane. Yes, they are a bit labor intensive to build with all the wood on the wing tips, cowl, and turlte deck. But I definitely DON'T want to see those piece replaced with cheap ABS plastic, which would surely happen in an ARF version. This among other changes that could happen could upset that balance that makes the Ultra Sport the plane this it is, which IMHO is the best flying sport plane ever built.

Ken
Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 PM
d_bodary

I am fully aware that the plus is not the same. couple quick differences alot larger rudder and elevators. not to mention it is a shorter coupled plane. They did this to cash in on the 3D craze. It is still a capable airplane and depending on what you are looking for it will do some things better and some things worse than the original.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Yes, I've owned a plus and it is a good flyer, but it doesn't fly the same as the Ultra Sport does. As you pointed out. IMHO, they are two different planes. Even though they share a name.

Ken
Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: RCKen
But I definitely DON'T want to see those piece replaced with cheap ABS plastic, which would surely happen in an ARF version. This among other changes that could happen could upset that balance that makes the Ultra Sport the plane this it is, which IMHO is the best flying sport plane ever built.
I definitely understand that point. Some of the GP ARF's (and those from other manufacturers) these days are downright amazing though. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if they could make a nice ARF using modern construction that would look and fly as well as a kit built version.

I saw in another post where someone mentioned an ARF and I wondered why there wasn't one. Is it just because there is no demand or is that nobody has decided to do it.

As for me, weather.com shows rain for most of the week and I am on vacation. I've vowed to start the US 60 kit.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I said the Plus model just 'cause I thought it looked better, and I guess I assumed it would fly better, too. I'm not terribly fond of the looks of many sport planes, but the Ultra Sport Plus is one of the ones I've had an eye on for the day I'm ready for a kit. I kind of like the idea that some planes are only available as a kit - kind of adds a mystique or something to the plane - it's only for those that really want it! Of course if you guys really want it to come out as an ARF, then I hope it does
Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 AM
r2champion

No! I will soon be getting the US 60 kit and I look forward to the build, seriously can't wait!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Ed Smith

ARFs you cannot be serious!

Here is my just finished Ultra Sport 60. I have had the kit on the shelf since about 1990. I got involved in other things (Pylon Racing).

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18457.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1093737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78481.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1093738  
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 AM
d_bodary

Nice covering job. I see by the wheels you have a paved runway. They look like pylon wheels.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'll go outside the norm and give it a "Yes" vote.

I think a lot of ARF fliers would jump at the chance also.

Most of the Ultra Sport lovers are builders, and they have a real passion for that airframe. But there have been so many times that an ARF-Only flier is asking about what plane to get next and I think to myself, "The Ulra Sport would be perfect for this guy" - but he doesn't build.

I think if the quality was there, it would fly off the shelves (No pun intended)
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

me personally i wouldnt buy it. i just bought my first US kit after have built the US plus. i like kits more than i do arf's not saying that arfs are bad just like building. i have flying planes right now so i can spend the next year building the US and it wont kill me.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 AM
XTOL

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

If no, why not?
All you have to do is find one of the discontinued US40 ARFs
and cut off the covering and take a look inside. Then you
will have your answer.

Mike Hammer
Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: XTOL

All you have to do is find one of the discontinued US40 ARFs
and cut off the covering and take a look inside. Then you
will have your answer.

Mike Hammer
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Do that with a GP Cherokee or a Revolver or a TF 60 size Mustang ARF though and it's a different story. A new Ultra sport ARF that is up to today's standards might be pretty nice.

It seems like most people familiar with this plane are die-hard kit builders and wouldn't have it any other way. nothing wrong with that at all.

With so many people praising a particular airframe though, you'd think it would be offered in various forms so more fliers could experience it.

My garage is getting cleaned up today and building will start tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Robotech

Yep. I had a US40 Arf as my second plane years ago. Foam backed sticky covering and ABS plastic. Piece of junk but it flew very well until it just started coming apart. Now if they offered it in a 60 size with todays better ARF standards..... maybe.