Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hobbycity.com

Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
matus777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbycity.com

Just a headsup for anyone ordering from this outfit. Once you place an order and cancel for ANY reason the best you can hope for is a store credit....even if they can't delver the product. Be aware also that if you attempt to pay with a CC and you are Pay Pal registered it goes thru Pay Pal (so you can't cancel for credit)......Their store policies are no where to be found on their site!

http://www.hobbycity.com......use with caution......that's all!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: hobbycity.com

I have ordered over $750 of stuff from them in 5-6 orders in the last several months and never had a problem. Had a couple defective servos and sent them back. they were replaced with the same quick shipping. Just make sure when you are ordering stuff they have an inventory counter and to make sure that they have it in stock. One order i had there was one item on backorder. I had to wait an extra week before it came into stock but the order was shipped out quickly after that.

Geoff
Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Jester241

I just ordered some stuff on while it was on backorder which they said they usually get in with like a week or two,but as long as a month. They got there shipment in about a week after I ordered and shipped it the next day and I got it in reasonable time considering it came from hong konk or something. I was leary of the order,but they came through. Although I did have some issues when I tried to pay with my card.....it kept saying I didnt give them info,but I typed it in over and over and it just wouldnt take. Finally I did the paypal thing and it worked fine. What REALLY shocked me about them was the email notification. Every step was confirmed with an email to let me know exactly what was going on. Not even the best internet sites do that too well. Plus, I love the fact that they had instant updating on their inventory which you can see anytime. That was cool too....thats how I knew it was on backorder before I ordered it.

I would suggest making sure you sure about your order before paying,because I'd hate to have any issues with a place from hong kong like matus did.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
ppkk

I recently placed an order with them and received my items - all of them - within a week. Excellent service, including step-by-step emails.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never had a good experience with any outfit that far away when there was trouble, like for instance, the part was broken. You may as well throw it away and order somewhere else.

As long as everything works as it is supposed to, the experience is great and you will be well pleased.

Hobby City is in Shatin, Hong Kong.

Logistics and and distance eats up any profits if there is trouble. So if there is something that doesn't work out correctly, it is a write off for both sides.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 AM
The Ghost

I have been using them for over a year and spent several thousand dollars and never had a problem with delivery or products. Always check for stock before ordering and only order what they have in stock.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 AM
KW_Counter

Matus,
When you place an order and the company runs your credit card they are charged for the transaction. The cost can be anywhere from 2.5% to 4.5%. This is based on my experience here in the USA. I don't know what the fees are there, probably the same or higher since they are handled by the same clearing house here.
When you cancel the order and they run the credit card they are charged a second time.

Why do you expect them to shell out all of that money for nothing?
The stores that do that are uping their prices accross the board to cover these costs.
Their credit card policy is one of the ways they keep their costs so low.

Give 'em a break,
KW_Counter
Old 01-03-2009, 02:58 PM
The Ghost

Orignal Matus

Their store policies are no where to be found on their site!
Did not look to far. Half way down page for returns/refunds, bottom of page for rest. Found here on [link=http://Their store policies are no where to be found on their site!]Support[/link] page.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This link seems to work for support

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/FAQ.asp
Old 01-03-2009, 06:55 PM
matus777

Thanks guys i read all the FAQ's and support pages but fail to see anything addressing how a canceled order is dealt with....that's why i was providing a heads up on store credit...it's that simple.

I since have discovered that PayPal (although an option) is also the CC processor and that proved to be confusing in trying to sort things out. Fortunately (this is not really a big deal in the scheme of things) my CC company is going to credit my account even if the shop does not provide a refund to them.....it's just nice to be aware of policy when doing business and their policy is not visible to potential customers that's all.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
The Ghost

Thanks guys i read all the FAQ's and support pages but fail to see anything addressing how a canceled order is dealt with
Never ever canceled an order after making it, as I only order what I need. The questionshould be is why you had to cancel the order after making it in the first place.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Ram Jet

Sig Manufacturing will ship the order less the back ordered item and then subsequenty ship the backorder when it arrives. Proper business practise but it costs them more in shipping.

Bill
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
matus777

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Thanks guys i read all the FAQ's and support pages but fail to see anything addressing how a canceled order is dealt with
Never ever canceled an order after making it, as I only order what I need. The questionshould be is why you had to cancel the order after making it in the first place.

Cheers
"Just a headsup for anyone ordering from this outfit. Once you place an order and cancel for ANY reason the best you can hope for is a store credit....even if they can't deliver the product. Be aware also that if you attempt to pay with a CC and you are Pay Pal registered it goes thru Pay Pal (so you can't cancel for credit)......Their store policies are no where to be found on their site!"

http://www.hobbycity.com......use with caution......that's all!

Perhaps you need to read more carefully and then ask the question??????

Anyway to be fair there was an apparent misunderstanding in language terms and all has been corrected to my satisfaction according to an e-mail received this morning. After they explained their side i can see how things went bad.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
matus777

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Orignal Matus

Their store policies are no where to be found on their site!
Did not look to far. Half way down page for returns/refunds, bottom of page for rest. Found here on [link=http://Their store policies are no where to be found on their site!]Support[/link] page.

Cheers

Ghost the matter is closed but perhaps your ability to read is better than mine.....can you point out the policy about order cancellations....thanks? Even better how about doing a copy & paste pointing out store credits and how they are applied?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Matus 777, You better be aware of more than just their "return policy"! Take the time to look at what is going on with the Turnigy AerodriveXP motor from this operation on one of the threads under RC Universe Electric Pattern. Unfortunately I purchased this piece of GARBAGE & the rest is history! If you are not careful, they will try to "get you" with 2-3
different prices for the same unit! Also, there is absolutely no way to "track" your order after it's shipped. As time goes by, I can only hope more & more people WORLDWIDE will
become aware of how they really operate & not do business with them. I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to take any more chances with either my credit card or pay-pal!
Also, I wrote a an honest review of this motor on their website & they pulled it after 2 hours because evidently they could not handle the truth about their second rate products &
operation. We RC flyers need to take a stand & let operations like this know that they will be held accountable if they do not operate in an appropriate manner. Too many times some of us consumers will just "rollover & take it" rather than take operations like this to task! I really wish they were here in the U.S. I would like nothing more than to confront
them in person. I know Mama San needs to work & I feed her family but, she & her employer in this case are not going to do it at my expense! Anytime in the future I see their
name on a thread ANYWHERE, I will go out of my way to expose them for what they really are!______________________________________________ ____________TNWalker