Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Name that Plane!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Name that Plane!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:01 AM
hanskaare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Name that Plane!

Well. It is quite a story behind how I know the plane actually.
I started off with this hobby in the late 80s. Only 10 years old I often sat and dreamed while studying my fathers model-catalogs. He is a boat-man himself, and never really understood my interest for these planes. "What are you going to do with them?" he often asked and started to tell how nice boats were and that a big boat could be used for fishing and other cool things.
As a year or so passed we one day went into a hobbyshop on a vacation, and I was offered a nice glider with about 100inch span, only rudder and elevator control. But a really nice beginners plane the seller told.
But somehow my dad convinced me to buy a boat....
The boat was cool enough but I continued dreaming about those "unusable" planes. And I remember like it was yesterday, the catalog called Norwegian Modellers. And in there was the Big Rainbow from Pilot Kits/OK Model.
At the time I didn't realize that Pilot Kits and OK Models was the same thing, so I thought that the kits from Pilot Kits was OK models.

After a while I finally got what I wanted. A plane. Simple glider. 2 meters span, rudder and elevator. The Blue Phoenix!
But as I didn't know any rc airplane modellers in the area I operated alone. And it of course didn't always work to well.
But I continued repairing and trying the glider for many years.
The story continues with getting the hand of a Scorpio Savannah 35, and the first time I was gonna test it, well, that was the time I realized that crashing and repairing and testing had paid off somehow. Because I could fly this thing! It was a blast!!!

The only problem with this was that now I had the feel for this hobby, and aerobatics were really cool. So Cubs and other boring planes was not my thing until the late 90s. I think it was in 98 I got my first Cub.
However this was sold after a year of flying it.
Last year I got a crazy thought of trying to get the hands of all the planes I wanted as a kid, after getting my hands on a Pilot Kits Cub 20, almost completed, nicely built. In this process I searched all the internet for plans/kits for the Big Rainbow, Pilot Cessna 152, Pilot Lake Buccaneer, and other stuff. But I had no luck on the Big Rainbow front. But I wanted a big plane, so somehow I got the idea of getting a Precedent T240 body, to my almost finished Senior Telemaster wings and bought a 17cc gasser to fit into it when the body arrived. So I placed an ad in the local Rc online marked. "Plans for a Precedent T240 or body wanted".
3 days after a nice guy calls. "Hi! I don't have a T240, but I have a Big Rainbow, interested?"

I got one of the greatest smiles on my face. The one you get when becoming a father, getting married, or getting your licence for planes.

So over 20 years after my somewhat bumpy entrance to this hobby I own many "legends". Some of them:

Altech Super Stearman, SIG Skybolt, Pilot Big Rainbow, Pilot Cub 20, Kyosho Gee-Bee Z, Kyosho Cessna Cardinal M36, Ace Puddle Master, Global Raven, 2 Blue Phoenixs (like the one I started off with).

Kinda strange how life turns out. My father really wanted me to like boats, but here I am, plane crazy as few people are, working as an aircraft mechanic, licenced pilot and rc enthusiast.

If you got some videos or more pictures of your Big Rainbow I would LOVE to see them.