Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobby Shop Simulators

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby Shop Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM
waynerr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Shop Simulators

Hello Everyone,

I got some advice the other day that said to look for a shop having a simulator customers can use to get experience with sims..

I have next to no real stick time and feel more at ease, but a more expensive time, than I do with sims.. The adviser suggested I might get some help from a shop using their simulator

I live in the Washington DC area. More precisely in Prince George's County MD. If anyone knows a shop in the Washingtion area that has a Simulator for this purpose and would be willing to share, I would be Forever Grateful.

Thank You So Much,

Wayne
Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Hobby Shop Simulators

Go to hobbylobby.com, buy a "Winged Dragon" electric for $100.00 with which you will get a cool flight simulator. Then you can go out and bust-up the airplane like I did.

Bill
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy one-Great Planes makes a good one for the money
Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The simulator teaches you left from right in that it puts you in the plane whether it is coming towards you or away, you move the controls correctly.

In using the simulator every day your responses become automatic and you no longer have to think about which way to move the stick

Many years ago I got Real Flight I and when Real Flight II came out I got that too.

I used them for years and I think they were invaluable to me as far as model flying goes.

A gave them to my son
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
carrellh

All of the hobby shops around my area have RealFlight or FS-One set up so customers can tinker around and decide if they want to buy. Some have both so you can compare and choose. They would not allow someone to come in day after day and use them to avoid spending the money.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:57 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real flight is the best for learning and keeping the thumbs tuned up I fly 30 min. before work every morning, Ihave improved my flying and tons more confidence with aerobatics.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

There are so many sims now on the market. its hard to pick just one. I started out on real flight g2 lite and moved to Aerofly pro deluxe. they both serve the purpose.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM
waynerr

Thank You Everyone for the replies,

To you Carrell,

That is what I had in mind, A place like that. I am just looking for some basic instruction with it.

I have tried FS. No joy. I have Clear View now. I am doing better, but not well.

What I am trying to say is, I May, or May Not be ther to buy a Simulator. If not, I would make it worth it to the shop, and a place like that sounds like they would be a place I would like to be a long time customer of.

I am just looking for a place in my area.

I am rambling.

Thank You Everyone,

Wayne
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
jetmech05

Man you just brought back some memories for me.....I was on the Navy side at for the Commandant of the Marine Corps aviation unit (MASD) at Andrews from 77 to 79..man 30 years ago....then at National and Dulles from 97 to 06...all the hobby shops I knew of then are gone...unless you want to go all the way around the beltway by Dulles..Hobby Hangar is still open of off 50.
I remember there used to be a nice field way back when by Cheltinham some where.
As far as using a sim..the hobby shop would soon tire of seeing you every day...there is no sub for real stick time...get a trainer, find an instructor and learn to fly the correct way...
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Spitfire222

Hi Wayne,

The Hobbytown USA here in Frederick, MD has both Hangar 9's FS One and Great Planes' Realflight set up on 2 stations right next to each other for customer use. Sometimes, I spend more time on the simulators than looking around buying things, and no one has said a word yet.

Depending on where you are in PG county, it might be quite a drive though just for simulator use. Nevertheless, look up the address of the Frederick Hobbytown store on their website if you're interested.

There's also another Hobbytown somewhere in Maryland, though I'm unsure if they have the simulator set-ups as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
waynerr

OK Vincent,

Thanks a lot!

I don't think I would need that much use of one, maybe so, , but that is the thing I am looking for.

Thanks Again.

Thanks to Everyone, you all have been Great,

Wayne