Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting..... and compatibility

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting..... and compatibility

Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting..... and compatibility

I FINALLY (after waiting about 6 months) got my three cans of the new H9 Ultracote matching paint. It would figure that H9 would take something so agreeable as the old epoxy based ultra paint and change it. The new stuff is acrylic enamel based. Now, I need to figure out what I can use (OTS at a local parts store if possible) as a primer. I was using some autobody primer in a can (Plasticote), the scratch filling stuff, but I worry that compatibility will be an issue.
Anyone out there have ideas??
Old 06-06-2003, 01:34 AM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

If my memory serves me correctly, all one-part auto type primers are lacquer based. This means you can use any lacquer, enamel, or epoxy type paint over them. I have used most of the primers on the market, both aerosol cans and spray gun, and I prefer Rustoleum gray auto primer. It has the best coverage and sanding characteristics. If your going to use a spray gun, rely on the paint store expert's directions. I've used all types of paint over Rustoleum primer and never had a problem. The only time I've ever had any problem with a primer was UltraKote and it was my own fault. I got in a big hurry and did not let the primer cure well and then used a lacquer based paint over it. Big mistake!

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:12 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

PMW, it sure does. It sounds like I should be ok with the Plasticote primer then.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:51 AM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Nik,

Yes, Pastikote will work fine under any type of paint. The only thing I've found about Plastikote is that it's a little harder to sand. It seems to clog the paper a little more than Rusoleum or Duplicolor. But I've used it many times with no compatibility problems.

Good luck.