Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Any reviews of Tenergy batter packs?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Any reviews of Tenergy batter packs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reviews of Tenergy batter packs?

I was looking at a Tenergy batter pack for my next receiver battery purchase (6V 2300mAh NiMH RX Receiver Battery Pack). They are listed on eBay.

Does anyone have any experience with these batteries? Good or bad?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Any reviews of Tenergy batter packs?

If anyone needs a reference here is a link

http://www.tenergybattery.com/index....id=9&Itemid=27
Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I've used these... So far after 1 flight season they are still goiing strong. Nothing bad to say about them. I have also used some of their lipo packs for my electrics and find those to be of good quality as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I used one all summer long. Was able to fly for days without a recharge. I then got a Hobbico Hydrimax battery and noticed the Hydrimax seemed to have a lot more 'life' to it - faster, stronger responses. I put the T-energy battery in a plane with ONE digital servo, and the Voltwatch goes from highest green to lowest red with ANY stick input. This is on a plane with a brand new switch and no servo extensions (happens when wings are off, too, so only 3 servos operating). This leads me to believe that the batteries are NOT rated for high current draw. They might be OK for use with standard analog servos but I would NOT suggest them for anything else.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I used one all summer long. Was able to fly for days without a recharge. I then got a Hobbico Hydrimax battery and noticed the Hydrimax seemed to have a lot more 'life' to it - faster, stronger responses. I put the T-energy battery in a plane with ONE digital servo, and the Voltwatch goes from highest green to lowest red with ANY stick input. This is on a plane with a brand new switch and no servo extensions (happens when wings are off, too, so only 3 servos operating). This leads me to believe that the batteries are NOT rated for high current draw. They might be OK for use with standard analog servos but I would NOT suggest them for anything else.
How do your non-Tenergy batteries perform using the voltwatch, with a stick input?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Spitfire222

I've been using a 2000 mah 6.0 V NiMh pack in both my Twist 40 with standard analogs, and in my Showtime 90 with Hitec 5645 digitals. I've had both of these planes flying for over two years with hundreds of flights and no issues at all. I check the voltage before every flight, but that's a habit that I'd do no matter what kind of battery pack.

Btw, I purchased mine from www.all-battery.com/rcairplanebatteries.aspx
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: starfire73

How do your non-Tenergy batteries perform using the voltwatch, with a stick input?
Haha! I'm glad you asked. Just put my Hydrimax battery in the plane with the Voltwatch. Not even fully charged - it goes from lowest green to highest yellow with stick inputs. I will not buy another T-energy battery. The difference in the response of the servos is absolutely amazing. I thought my analog servos were just slow and weak, but with the Hydrimax battery they are totally lively.

Checking the voltage between flights would do absolutely nothing to identify this problem. The battery is at full voltage but does not release sufficient amount of energy on demand. This is VERY DANGEROUS for those of you flying with the receivers that 'reboot' with low voltage spikes. Maybe not such a problem with 6volt battery, but maybe it is if the voltage is dropping that much.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 AM
starfire73

I'm wondering... is there any way to measure a battery's capacity to supply power under load? Do batteries have a rating you can check to see how it efficient it is at supplying power when drawn?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
BountyHunter51

This is the load meter that I use. I like it much better than an expanded scale voltmeter.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN171
Cheers! BH
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey GaRCfield,
Are the Hydramax and Tenergy batteries the same size? Like 2/3A, or AA, or whatever? I am curious about this and would like to know what the composition of the pack s is (what are the cell types and model numbers). I think if we had the info on the cells, then impedance could be determined and then current capacity would be spelled out.
Thanks,
Curtis
P.S. How is school going?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: beau0090_99

Hey GaRCfield,
Are the Hydramax and Tenergy batteries the same size? Like 2/3A, or AA, or whatever? I am curious about this and would like to know what the composition of the pack s is (what are the cell types and model numbers). I think if we had the info on the cells, then impedance could be determined and then current capacity would be spelled out.
Thanks,
Curtis
P.S. How is school going?
Tenergy=4 cell AA "2300mah", Hydrimax=4cell AA "2000mah". Very similar/same in size and weight, both are NIMH. I'm using some wierd GUI on a random school PC so can't post links right now.

I was using the T-energy all summer with analog servos and didn't notice any problems, but when I got the Hydrimax and plugged it in, the servos seemed twice as fast and twice as strong, even when both batteries were fully charged. The difference is enough to make me clear my bench of my current project and grab my 'backup-backup' plane and rip the Tenergy out from under the fuel tank and stash it for benchtop use only. I am disgusted that I ever flew my new 2.4ghz system with that battery.

School is good; heat transfer is a bit tough but I like it. I liked fluids so much last semester that I decided I will apply for a master's degree here in Fluid Mechanics if I don't end up in Aerospace somewhere else. After all this battery talk (and speaker talk with my roommate) I'm now looking forward to my 2 EE classes and my electromagnetism class. Thanks for asking!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 PM
beau0090_99

That's cool.
Wow, I am surprised that there is that much difference between the packs. I wonder what the MFG specs on impedance are between the two types.

Glad school is going well, I had the opposite experience, I loved Heat Transfer and Thermo, but hated Fluids. To each, his own.
Thanks,
Curtis
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

There have been VAST discussions on the merits and pitfalls of Tenergy packs over on the car section of the forum. I have not used them myself, but have seen user feedback ranging from "susprisingly good for the money" to "run away quickly". IIRC, the higher capacity rated cells fell down when compared to other brands of similar capacity but the middle range sub-C (3500mah) packs were well-liked. To be honest, I haven't seen a lot about the 2/3A or AA ells. The 130mah lipo cells seem to be working out as a replacement for the parkzone and e-flite micros.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM
flaminheli

School is good; heat transfer is a bit tough but I like it. I liked fluids so much last semester that I decided I will apply for a master's degree here in Fluid Mechanics if I don't end up in Aerospace somewhere else. After all this battery talk (and speaker talk with my roommate) I'm now looking forward to my 2 EE classes and my electromagnetism class. Thanks for asking!
[/quote]

LOL, JK.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Jetdesign

*laughing
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought 32 of the AA 2300mah NiMh cells from All-Battery.com. I must tell you that these batteries are the worst I have ever owned. They show to take a full charge but go dead VERY quickly. No actual numbers but my Energizers of the same type last easily 3-4 times longer in whatever I am using them for.
VERY DISAPPOINTED. That goes for all 32 cells. Not one good one in the whole lot. Stay Away.