Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Minimum Operating Temp for RC Equipment?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Minimum Operating Temp for RC Equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
orbsah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimum Operating Temp for RC Equipment?

Hi- It was a gorgeous day last Saturday. . . . Not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of wind. Only problem was the temp here was about 12-deg F. What do I need to be concerned about w/ my radio system? Any problems w/ the batteries, etc.? I have both electric and glow planes. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Minimum Operating Temp for RC Equipment?

They would work a lot better to keep them warm in the car until right before you use them. I don't like flying them when it gets below the high 20's
Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
mclina

We had a fun fly this past Saturday. It was about 15 degrees. It was a real pain getting our engines running when it was our turn to fly. It got to the point where whoever could start their plane got to go next.

The cold will reduce the number of flights you get out of a battery. You really have to check your RX battery after every flight. Once you get your engine started, they perform really well.

The cold affects the pilot more than the plane. Especially when you have to adjust your needle valve in the prop blast.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Things like WD40 and Zippo lighter fluid do wonders for starting in cold weather but it just take a small amount or you'll catch your plane on fire
Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Bill Teller

Yeah got to watch that fire stuff.. Rember flying C/L way back, the only sign of a fire was the noise & the paint turning black
you couldnt see it.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Spitfire222

Like mclina mentioned, for me, the question is minimum operating temperature of the pilot! [sm=confused_smile.gif] I went flying a few weekends ago for the first time in months, and it was just too cold to be fun. I put in one full flight, then landed early on the 2nd because my fingers were becoming numb and I didn't trust my ability to control the plane anymore.

I know for some people flying in around freezing temp is bearable, but not for me. [sm=shades_smile.gif]