Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Apples & Oranges

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Apples & Oranges

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
jcb883

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apples & Oranges

Futaba 10c or JR 9303 2.4...........buying one of them today.. one shot deal don't want to be unhappy.....
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Apples & Oranges

It's the old Ford vs Chevy thing They are both good. Take your pick.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Birman

I can't speak for the Futaba 10c, but I can for the JR X9303. I have one and it is a excellant radio. One of the things that I really like about the JR system is the very short antenna wires on the receivers. I think but I won't swear to it, the the receiver antenna wires are quite a bit longer and seem like they wouldn't be as easy to route as the JR system. I haven't headr any thing bad about the Futaba. It's kinda like Ford and Chevy. You pays ur money and take ur choice. Good luck.

Birman
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the 10C and it's fabulous. Routing the antennas is a piece of cake, just keep them 90 degrees from each other.

I usually glue two short pushrod tubes near the Rx and slip the antennas in them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75702.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1120875  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba has no need for supplemental RX's with their system, of course that's me talking as I've been a Futaba user for over 25 years.

Both are very good, however what will make or break your aircraft's success is how/where you install the RX... with ANY radio's RX.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

10C
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best servos available are Futaba. Unfortunately they know that and price accordingly. They also have the best 2.4 system with the frequency hopping. Jusat to let you know, I generally fly JR/Hitec because I'm too cheap to go out and buy new stuff....
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
jetmech05

the 9303 throttle trims are not digital...if you have a 9c now you can change the module on the back and use the 10c as a 72mHz radio...10C for me
Old 01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Smacka

One thing's for sure, either one of these radio's quality/capabilities far and again exceed my abilities to tell any difference. It's kind of like asking me, "How is the accuracy of your 7mm deer rifle?" I have to answer, "Well, all I know is that the rifle is a f**k of a lot more accurate than me".

Later Dudes & Dudettes [8D]
Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have only gotten to program one plane so far with the Futaba 10 and three with the 9303, I really like them both?? Wish I had the same choice you have!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

They also have the best 2.4 system with the frequency hopping. Jusat to let you know, I generally fly JR/Hitec because I'm too cheap to go out and buy new stuff....
Define "best" ?

Futaba... Lightning fast system speed, module based so its backwards compatable with 72mhz stuff if you have or wish to purchase a module. Switch assignability and timers are more flexable. The recievers are expensive and the switches are kind of close together so if you have big hands it might feel weird and the books from Futaba typically are harder to make sense of than the radios (I havent seen the 10c manual but its so much like everything else they have that I didn't need one)

JR x9303....Model Match (never fly with the wrong model selected), cheaper and better range of receivers available (its compatable with all jr and spektrum 2.4 receivers), nice switch location. Specific programming for twin engine aircraft is good stuff. Much better book. No throttle activated time and no module capabilit.

If you get the JR get the helicopter version, it does away with that useless pushbutton and replaces it with a toggle switch.

They are both great radios.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
FILE IFR

Andy,
I know JR has "Model Match" for a feature saying "you'll never fly with the wrong model set in your TX".... How is that any different from Futaba's system on 2.4?

You'll never be able to operate an RX with the 'wrong' model on a Futaba TX either.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I really like the throttle trim and the high-low kill switch that Futaba has. I still like them both and wouldn't kick if someone bought or gave me either one. The RXs do cost more on Futaba but not all that much to make it a deciding factor. I think if pushed I would go with the Futaba but it's still a hard choice, apples to apples.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: jcb883
Futaba 10c or JR 9303 2.4...........buying one of them today.. one shot deal don't want to be unhappy.....
So, which one did you buy?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Andy,
I know JR has "Model Match" for a feature saying "you'll never fly with the wrong model set in your TX".... How is that any different from Futaba's system on 2.4?

You'll never be able to operate an RX with the 'wrong' model on a Futaba TX either.
Explain that?

Futaba is module based and model match is patented by JR/Spektrum

With Model Match the model memory number is sent as part of the binding process, after that a model wont link up unless the transmitter has the correct model memory selected. Futaba has nothing compatable that I'm aware of, but I would be pleasantly surprised to stand corrected.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Smacka

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Andy,

Explain that?

Futaba is module based and model match is patented by JR/Spektrum

With Model Match the model memory number is sent as part of the binding process, after that a model wont link up unless the transmitter has the correct model memory selected. Futaba has nothing compatable that I'm aware of, but I would be pleasantly surprised to stand corrected.

FUTABA does NOT have model match, and neither does the JR XP9303, which is the converted radio from the old 72 MHz to a 2.4 GHz radio using a 2.4 GHz module. If you have multiple planes on the same FUTABA radio, and you fire up the radio and pick a plane that is different than the one current in use on the radio, the radio WILL operate the plane. It will not operate it correctly BUT the servos will actuate and you could have a runaway condition. The exact same thing happens if you have a "pretend" 2.4 GHZ JR XP303. Not so with the JR X9303 (model without the "P"). This radio DOES have true model match.

And, yes...model match is a feature proprietary to JR/Specktrum.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the difference between JR ans Futaba...

With Futaba, a Tx will operate ALL of the Receivers it's binded to

With JR/Spektrum, you're lucky if it works ONE of the Receivers
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
FILE IFR

Andy and Smacka,

Now you're saying if I were to call up a model on my 14MZ 2.4 TX and turn on a model plane (not linked to the plane on the screen) that I DON'T have called up on the screen... It will work?

.... Not a chance!

EDIT: Just so we're on the same page here, I'm talking 2.4, not 72 Mhz .... We all know 72 megs work on ANY model w/the same crystal.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
FILE IFR

Here's my take on the 'Model Match" thing/feature.

Both brands will not operate an RX it's not linked/bound to, it's simple AND great.

JR/Specktrum calls this feature (it's not really a feature) "Model Match" and says you'll never fly the 'wrong' model again with this technology. They are preying on the fears of new flyers and it's a great selling ad for them, but BOTH brands have "Model Match" AFAIK.

It's like a garage door opener's manufacurer saying they have "Door Match" integrated in their openers.

"... Car drivers will NEVER open the wrong door with our "Door Match" technology" .... sounds like a nice feature huh?

Edit: Andy, Model Match is a trademark. Not a patent to JR/Spektrum.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Good Lord. How did any of you make it with the 72MHZ equipment? I fly with a 9C Super and model match. I look at the name on the xmitter and if it is the same as the plane I'm about to start then .... it's a match! Dang, I feel smart.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
BarracudaHockey

Andy and Smacka,

Now you're saying if I were to call up a model on my 14MZ 2.4 TX and turn on a model plane (not linked to the plane on the screen) that I DON'T have called up on the screen... It will work?

.... Not a chance!

EDIT: Just so we're on the same page here, I'm talking 2.4, not 72 Mhz .... We all know 72 megs work on ANY model w/the same crystal.
I don't know about the 14mz but none of the other Futaba radios have a system that links the model memory number to the binding process. I'd bet the 14 doesn't either but not having one in front of me I can't say definitively. Yes I am talking about 2.4

I'm not an intelectual property lawyer but as I understand it, JR/Spektrum patented the process of binding a model memory to the receiver and called it Model Match.

As for its use, well I try to do a thorough pre-flight but I've seen an alwful lot of hot started nitro helis because of reversed throttles, and airplanes that plowed up a gulley because of reversed ailerons or elevators so if it saves one "senior moment" I'm all for it.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
FILE IFR

I also have a 10 C in 2.4, and it works the very same way as the 14.

Each brand's equipment links/binds differently and in the end they give us the same thing we look for... not to fly the 'wrong' model.

JR may use the word 'Model Memory Number' and Futaba may use the word 'Code', but you now realize it's the same thing... An RX must only listen to the "program" on the TX made for the RX.

If you were to ask Bax about it (can a Futaba TX fly a 'wrong' model in 2.4) he'll tell you the same thing... "No, it can't."
Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
FILE IFR

... From the website (copied and pasted here)

jcb883, I'm sorry we stepped all over your thread.[]

-

Futaba 2.4GHz FASST system transmitters leave the factory with a unique and permanent ID code. Once linked to the receiver, the code ensures that the receiver will recognize and respond ONLY to that transmitter. The linking process is simple...just push a button on the receiver.

Custom-Developed IC Chips

Futaba uses custom IC chips that have been designed specifically for radio-control – ensuring quality, reliability, and safety. This is why Futaba FASST systems are faster and more reliable than the competition.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:53 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a 10 C in 2.4, and it works the very same way as the 14.

Each brand's equipment links/binds differently and in the end they give us the same thing we look for... not to fly the 'wrong' model.

JR may use the word 'Model Memory Number' and Futaba may use the word 'Code', but you now realize it's the same thing... An RX must only listen to the "program" on the TX made for the RX.

If you were to ask Bax about it (can a Futaba TX fly a 'wrong' model in 2.4) he'll tell you the same thing... "No, it can't."

Futaba does not have a model match feature like JR with Fatuba any
receiver that has been previously bound to your xmter will operate
no matter which model # you have selected.

With JR if you have a previously bound receiver it will not operate if
your model selection does not match what was previously set up for
that receiver.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
BarracudaHockey

... From the website (copied and pasted here)

jcb883, I'm sorry we stepped all over your thread.[]

-

Futaba 2.4GHz FASST system transmitters leave the factory with a unique and permanent ID code. Once linked to the receiver, the code ensures that the receiver will recognize and respond ONLY to that transmitter. The linking process is simple...just push a button on the receiver.

Custom-Developed IC Chips

Futaba uses custom IC chips that have been designed specifically for radio-control – ensuring quality, reliability, and safety. This is why Futaba FASST systems are faster and more reliable than the competition.

You are just digging yourself a hole.

Futaba recievers are bound to the transmitter. Once bound, they will operate no matter which model memory is selected.

JR/Spektrum native systems (not module based systems) bind to the transmitter AND model memory.

If you power up a JR/Sp transmitter, and then a plane or heli, if the transmitter isn't set to the correct model memory, the reciever will ignore it as if its another transmitter until you select the correct model memory for that plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.