Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Capability of DYNATRON starters?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Capability of DYNATRON starters?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capability of DYNATRON starters?

This summer I'll be flying a couple of big planes. They're equipped with a 3000 Supertigre and a Saito 180. Even with a fully charged battery my regular Sullivan starter does not have enough oomph to kick these over. I see Sullivan Dynatron starters come up used once in a while on the FSW forums for around $40 and was giving them some thought.

Anyone have any real-life experience with Dynatrons and are they capable of starting these engines with a 12v battery? Sullivan web site says they'll start up to a 40cc but I really don't believe manufacturer's claims since I had a Hobbico 180 starter that had a hard time with 91s.
Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM
frugalflyer

Default RE: Capability of DYNATRON starters?

The problem is most likely your battery not being able to provide enough amps. Power is watts, IE volt x amps.
I can start my Saito and magnum 180's with a trusty 30 yrs old Sulivan starter. A model shop gell cell is insufficient. I use a yard tractor battery or hook to my car via jumper cables. Wind the prop back to compression before applying the starter.
Another trick is to close the throttle completely, spin it up then open to low.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:48 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have their 60 dollar heavy duty model, easily starts 25 cc weedwackers on a 12 volt lawnmower battery, and when its hooked up to 24 volts (2 batteries) it easily starts my 46cc motors...
Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine will turn over, & start a G-38.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
jetmech05

the Sullivan Dynatron is a good starter..rated at 12 to 24 volts at 100 Amps max......I was using a car jump start battery and my dnyatron would start my OS 1.60...unless it was cold...I went wih a Makita drill battery at 18 volts..now it spins my 160 with gusto
Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a guy on here with one that he started his B29 ZDZ 80's with but it had a Miller speed reducer on it and he was running 24 V
Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 PM
expo

That setup looks like a few hundred $ along with two men and a dog helping!!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM
w8ye

It's a one handed affair and I think all total it is around 275 including the Dynatron starter

He's a quote from Mac Hodges the owner
The Miller Dynatron unit does not have to be a two hand affair. I have one that I put together that I have been using for over 10 years and it is a one hand operation that is easy to use and will start anything from a 20cc to over 150cc engine.
First, I join two 12 volt 7 amp. gell cell batteries with a couple of strips of thin double sided tape. Then using double sided tape, I mount two 2 1/2" muffler clamps on top of the batteries. I slit fuel tubing and put over the edges of the clamps to protect the starter. I then strap the starter to the batteries with a couple of large plastic tie wraps. But before mounting the starter, I remove the strip switch and add wire to connect to the added switch and bracket. This places the push button switch conveniently under your thumb for easy one hand use. And then wire in series for 24 volts. I sell the switch and bracket for $20. The Miller reduction unit is $125. I sell the complete starter for $275.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 PM
expo

Now I see the thumb starter button.........I used to have one of those on my 38 Dodge.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
expo

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I have their 60 dollar heavy duty model, easily starts 25 cc weedwackers on a 12 volt lawnmower battery, and when its hooked up to 24 volts (2 batteries) it easily starts my 46cc motors...
I tried my hi-tork hd Sullivan with a car battery and it still wouldn't turn over the ST3000

I just gotta get the Dynatron.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
w8ye

I have a friend with a couple Hi-Torks and he got a 40cc gas engine. Hooked up 24 volts to a HiTork. It started the 40cc engine but the contacts in the starter switch welded themselves shut and the starter wouldn't shut off.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

that is true on the starter switch contacts.ine have stuck a few times.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We use the Dynatron with two 12 volt lawn mower batteries hook in series and it will zing A G-45 with ease. It does tend to get hot if your engine doesn't fire up after a couple of tries though. Due to the weight of the two batteries we installed them in the bottom part of a plastic rolling tool box. I use one of these boxes for my flight box set up for glow planes. The easy answer would be to buy a starter with the gear system or make a starter yourself. I used one made from a Toyota Truck starter with a small 12 volt battery for starting my G-62s all the way up to a Fox 100 twin. It was cheap to make but heavy. There are several ways to start the bigger engines, I went back to the spring starter on the G-62 I have now, with only one big engine I can't see myself spending the money or hauling a heavy starter around.