Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DX6i with Alkalines

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spektrum DX6i with Alkalines

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6i with Alkalines

Here's a question for any DX6i owner that uses AA alkaline batteries:

How low do you do you let the battery voltage get before you replace the batteries? You let it get down to 4.8 (low battery alarm level), or swap them out sooner (5V?).

I'm only interested in your comments if you use alkalines, NOT NiMH or NiCd batteries.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Sandmann_AU

Default RE: Spektrum DX6i with Alkalines

I don't have a suggestion for you (as I use a Dx7 with NiMH), but I know of a young kid just about to buy a DX6i system so I thought I'd ask - why use alkalines instead of nicd/nimh?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing with regular batteries is dont fly when it is cold. The cold slows down the chemical reaction and you will crash; done it. I started flying with a 2 channel with dry cells a long time ago and to stay safe then after 6-8 weekends I chunked the batterys; I dont know the draw on a computer radio but I would not get close to any low setting. That is a crash waiting to happen. After buying about 5 sets of batterys you can have the nicads.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
captjckirk

What do you do in cold weather about reciever batteries?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Sandman asked the same question I would have asked. Why use alkaline? My 6i uses AA, but they are Nimh. Recharge and go. Since they sell for about 13 bucks @ Horizon, why not use them. You'll spend a lot more buying alkaline.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Why use alkalines? Because I can.

A set of four AA alkalines cost me $0.80 in bulk, have an extremely long run time in the DX6i, and a very long shelf life (no recharging after months of sitting on the shelf). My DX6i came with a set of NiMH that were crap, wouldn't hold a charge. I put a set of alkalines in it last October, had at least a dozen flights with it, as well as some on time for programming a couple of plane setups in it, and the batts are still at about 5.8V. Contrast that with my Spektrum DX7 and Futaba 9CH NiMH packs that were about dead after sitting for a couple months unused this winter.

My DX7 and 9CH are setup to fly my nitro planes and helis. For those, I need to charge up receiver packs the night before, and pack up all my fuel and field gear anyway, so charging up the TX batts the night before is not a big deal in comparison.

My DX6i is set up to fly my "throw & go" electric planes. I keep the LiPo packs for the planes charged (long shelf life on LiPos), and if I get a chance to fly for an hour or so, I can throw them and the DX6i in the car and not worry about having to recharge anything. An extra set of alkaline AAs in my radio case ensures that I'm good to go even if the existing batts are running low.

If the DX6i is your primary radio, then NiMH batts may make sense for you. For me, it's all about convenience, and alkalines are a cheap and convenient alternative for me in my situation.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
TFF

Nicads and NiMH have high internal resistance, so they discharge by themselves; they do require maint. when not being used. I will say too that I have had the springs weaken some in dry cell holders in my old 1/2a planes and tx and not hold contact and cause intermittent connections but it was in an older radio, new should be ok for a while.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: -pkh-
My DX6i is set up to fly my "throw & go" electric planes. I keep the LiPo packs for the planes charged (long shelf life on LiPos), and if I get a chance to fly for an hour or so, I can throw them and the DX6i in the car and not worry about having to recharge anything. An extra set of alkaline AAs in my radio case ensures that I'm good to go even if the existing batts are running low.

If the DX6i is your primary radio, then NiMH batts may make sense for you. For me, it's all about convenience, and alkalines are a cheap and convenient alternative for me in my situation.
That makes sense. I was assuming your DX6i was your main/only transmitter. For your situation alkalines are the best solution, short of leaving the transmitter permanantly on chanrge (which you can't do in your car).