Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Battery Charger Choice

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Battery Charger Choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery Charger Choice

Hello, I was wanting to see some of your opinions on peak chargers/battery chargers. What I want to use it for is to simply discharge my Nimh 1500 battery packs and recharge them to full capacity quickly. Also I want to use it on my 9.6 transmitter battery. I was looking at the hobbico chargers but I'm not really sure which is the best for my needs. It would be nice to have the batteries always ready to fly at a moments notice, and a quick recharge at the field. Which charger do you recommend???
Old 02-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Battery Charger Choice

I can highly recommend this Multiplex charger. It will do all of what you want and a lot more. I have been using two of these for the last 2 years. They have a really user friendly interface.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKSY1&P=SM
Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
bigdarylg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been using the turnigy accucell 6 from hobbyking.com. like everything about it. charges all batteries and cycles too, great price also
Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have looked at both chargers and read the reviews. Both look like good products, but with the turnigy I am wondering if the low price is to good to be true. In your opinion do you think it is a quality product that will last a long time, or is it cheap and going to be prone to breaking? I am assuming that both batteries plug onto a car battery and do not plug into a home outlet.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: spitfire66

Hello, I was wanting to see some of your opinions on peak chargers/battery chargers. What I want to use it for is to simply discharge my Nimh 1500 battery packs and recharge them to full capacity quickly. Also I want to use it on my 9.6 transmitter battery. I was looking at the hobbico chargers but I'm not really sure which is the best for my needs. It would be nice to have the batteries always ready to fly at a moments notice, and a quick recharge at the field. Which charger do you recommend???

I was referred to this website by a friend who is very knowledgeable about batteries.

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/chargers.htm

Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
bigdarylg

bought this charger in the fall last year,have probably charged at least 75 times with no problems so far ,cooling fan is a little noisy
but other than that no problems. doesn't look or seem cheaply made
Old 02-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Smacka

Bantum BC8. You will need to buy a power supply, as well (I have a 30-amp PS). If you do a google search, you will find it. This is not a cheap item. When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for.

I run only Fromeco LiLo batteries in my gassers. With those I use Fromeco's 5-channel Green Ion Cube. It is a fantastic charger...but I digress. You need a charger for a different battery.

Have fun!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
ktreadway

I just got a Accu Cycler Elite and it works great
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Hobbico Accucycle Elite for a couple years and have been very pleased with it. I use it at the field sometimes also.

With NiMh batteries it is not necessary to discharge them on a regular basis. They do not have memories like NiCds.

I do cycle my NiMh batteries on occasion to see if their capacity is still up to snuff.

I tend to use NiMh batteries exclusively

I also have the Hobbico MK II field charger but it does not discharge batteries and doesn't come with a power supply.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUAB7&P=ML

I have this one (Venom) and I like it a lot; it does EVERYTHING! And it comes with the temperature probe, lots of attachments, etc. I often recommend the Multiplex charger mentioned above, but I'm not sure that it balances lipos. I know lipos were not mentioned in the original post, but it seems that most of us do end up with at least one lipo for a foamie or something. I ended up using regulated lipos for my Rx batteries, so I'm thankful I got the Venom charger which can do everything I need it to do, except maybe give me a back rub at the end of a long flying day. Of course I probably could use it for some electro-therapy...[&:]