Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Will a muffler burn a cowling?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Will a muffler burn a cowling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:52 PM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a muffler burn a cowling?

I have a U CAN DO 46, and I just installed a Magnum XL-70, 4 stroke.

This is my first airplane with a cowling, and the muffler (not the muffler pipe, but the actual expansion chamber part of the muffler) slightly touches part of the cowling. Will it burn, scorch, brown, or otherwise mar the finish of the cowling? Will it hurt the fiberglass of the cowling?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-22-2009, 05:19 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Will a muffler burn a cowling?

I've had them rub the cowling and slightly discolor it at the point of contact but that's about it. You can always open the cowl a little more so it doesn't touch if you are concerned about it.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will a muffler burn a cowling?

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I've had them rub the cowling and slightly discolor it at the point of contact but that's about it. You can always open the cowl a little more so it doesn't touch if you are concerned about it.
I would like to open it up more, but I can't. If I open it up any further, I'll be exposing the cowling mounting blocks. As long as there's only a small rub spot (which I anticipated anyways), and some slight, very localized discoloring, then I'm ok with it.