Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Long wires on servos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Long wires on servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM
lazaras

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long wires on servos

I built the Seawind from Great Planes. I followed the recommendations for the length of the extensions to use on the servos. They are way too long. Rather than pull the servos and install shorter extensions, is it possible to tie up the excess or will this cause radio problems? I am rolling them up and banding them. They are about 12 to 18 inches too long. Is there a better way? I like my airplanes neat and am willing to go through the work of replacing the extensions if necessary.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Long wires on servos

I tie up the extensions all the time. The thing with pre-made extensions is they only come in a few sizes so you often have to settle for one that is slightly too long. The only way to avoid it is to make your own custom-length servo leads.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Something is wrong with this picture if you have to start rolling up sevo leads like, well like a transformer. More involved than just neatness like maybe added impedence of an excessive wire run, worse more plugs. A little reasonable slack perhaps for wing removal if those are the leads in question but 18 inchs extra on that airplane, not on any of mine.

I do not use extensions at all. The only extra plugs I use are for wing removal and nowhere else. I cut new servo's leads in half and solder in the length of wire (in most cases a heavier duty wire because of adding length) that is the exact length needed.

If you already have an extension burried somewhere my solution would be to shortened the lead where accessable to a reasonable length and solder back together. Its a simple six wire joints to add length and only three joints to remove length.

If you don,t have the right type of soldering tools then get them and learn how to use them if you are going to stay and expand in the hobby/sport.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I have to add an extension to a servo wire, I twist all the wire from the radio to the servo to try to keep RF from following the wire.

In my models with spark ignition, I twist all the radio wires anyway.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

If I have to add an extension to a servo wire, I twist all the wire from the radio to the servo to try to keep RF from following the wire.

In my models with spark ignition, I twist all the radio wires anyway.

Yes dittos[8D] Here is one way of doing it in this case its a two conductor flat wire for a night lighting system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10472.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1144263