Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Do people actually buy these?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Do people actually buy these?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do people actually buy these?

Hi all,

From time to time, I see high priced planes for the asking on RCU market. I am talking about 6K to 20K and even up. I really wonder if there are some who actually flop down the cash to buy these? DP
Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
WCB

Default RE: Do people actually buy these?

I don't, but I know some people who do. So the answer is yes.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I built a couple of 42% scale Extra 300's back in the 1990's for a Mexican business man. Each one cost him $10,000.00. So, yes people do buy them!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, why not? As long as the airplane is worth it. I personally cannot justify something like that right now but this hobby is addictive. I have far more airplanes and much more expensive airplanes than I ever thought I would a few years ago when starting out so it isn't inconceivable that there might be a $15,000 jet in the garage someday. Of course, price is only one issue, I'd have to get good enough to fly it too.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont' know, if I tried to bring a 15K plane home, I'd be the one in the garage! Not sure that at this point in my economical and/or experience level life, I'd want one anyway. I sure would hate to think of having to tell the better half why I didn't bring it home with me...........
Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

At our club field outside of Tampa, there are usually 10 -12 giant IMAC and scale planes worth $3 to $8k each almost everytime i go out there. I guess they can afford them, but i would rather have my Corvette and Sea Ray -
Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Sure, why not? As long as the airplane is worth it. I personally cannot justify something like that right now but this hobby is addictive. I have far more airplanes and much more expensive airplanes than I ever thought I would a few years ago when starting out so it isn't inconceivable that there might be a $15,000 jet in the garage someday. Of course, price is only one issue, I'd have to get good enough to fly it too.

Wow, $15,000.00![X(] I saw a You Tube video of a $7,000.00 jet's first and last flight. I thought 7K was a-lot. I love this hobby but I can think of a few motorcycles I would buy first.

Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

I dont' know, if I tried to bring a 15K plane home, I'd be the one in the garage! Not sure that at this point in my economical and/or experience level life, I'd want one anyway. I sure would hate to think of having to tell the better half why I didn't bring it home with me...........

What would you tell yourself if a faulty battery turned you 15K jewel into a post hole digger?[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

What would you tell yourself if a faulty battery turned you 15K jewel into a post hole digger?[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Bill
I'd tell myself not to buy myself deeper into any hobby than I could afford to lose.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Bill
I'd tell myself not to buy myself deeper into any hobby than I could afford to lose.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Well, I'm on a Gullows rubber band airplane budget. Cox .049 anybody?

Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Villa

If a fellow has 100 million dollars what kind of R/C plane might he fly? Cost would have little input.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Tommygun

ORIGINAL: Villa

If a fellow has 100 million dollars what kind of R/C plane might he fly? Cost would have little input.
Very true. Those SHOULD be the only people buying such planes, but I have a feeling this isn't always the case. It would not surprise me if there were people who went in debt to obtain such a model.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
asmithnc

Honestly with that kind of money...... I see this as a model. http://www.gulfstream.com/products/g150/
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Ram Jet

I wouldn't fly RC airplanes because I would be too busy flying my full scale Tiger Moth or a Stearman PT-17. If I had Tom Cruise's money a North American P-51 or a Super Marine Spitfire. Probsbly the Spitfire.

Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the jet { gas turbine } world these prices are quite normal for a turnkey model.

BVM have a nice scale F-86F with the reduced price of $18000.

There is a middle eastern gentleman who has paid much more than that for a single model and he has many 10s of operational models.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

In the jet { gas turbine } world these prices are quite normal for a turnkey model.

BVM have a nice scale F-86F with the reduced price of $18000.

There is a middle eastern gentleman who has paid much more than that for a single model and he has many 10s of operational models.

Yeah, and the SOB is paying for it with our oil money. Lucky jerk. Burn castor, screw the Middle East. Unless you're talkin' Indiana.

Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I saw a U tube video of an Rc mig 29 hovering doing about 300mph and I did a little research. Just the turbines in that plane were $8k each. If I ever spend more than $1k on a single plane its going to be one I'm inside of!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Go to You Tube and do a search for r/c airplane crash videos. You'll see a bunch of them. You have to decide as to how much money you are willing to lose in a split second if something goes wrong. Remember the anguish of the guy who lost the A-10 when another ill fated r/c jet crashed into him after sliding off the runway? How about the utter break down of the guy who lost his F-16? That BIG B-52 made a HUGE smoke cloud. The big B-25 was rubble after it hit terra firma. The F4U Corsair and the Zero weren't pretty after their mid-air.

I have lots of nice scale planes, but I have accumulated them over the years. I have lost planes due to my mistakes. I have tried to learn by those mistakes. Preventive Maintenance is the key to aircraft longevity. I check my aircraft before going to the field. I don't fly if something is not right or if I am tired.

I see nothing wrong with expensive models. However, I probably won't be buying them.

When an aircraft is presented as scale, but really isn't, I feel frustration. When there is an exuberant price tag attached, I am glad I'm not the one buying it.

Remember, "Take off is optional" "Landing is mandatory"!

I hope everyone here on RCU has a great year of flying and fun!

Best Regards,
Flak
Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I wouldn't pay 2-3 grand on a R/C Plane. With that kind of money I could make a down payment on a used, full size one... or a new car. I guess some have that kind of money to squander... must be nice.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

I wouldn't pay 2-3 grand on a R/C Plane. With that kind of money I could make a down payment on a used, full size one... or a new car. I guess some have that kind of money to squander... must be nice.

Hey Luft, I agree. I have had friends who bought a 17' foot boat then a 22', then a 25' then a 30'. They probably had more fun with the 17 footer. Myself, I had a little 12' skiff with a 20 CI Japaneese Yamato racing engine on it. It would scare the dodo out of you. Then I graduated to a 20' Rayson Craft SK class ski boat with a big block Chevy in it. Today I would have to admit that I had more fun with the 12 footer. "It's not the size of the wand that pulls the rabbit from the hat, it's the magic of the magichian."

Bill
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
WCB

Some guys have the big expensive planes and can fly the wings off them. They are good flyers and really enjoy the big planes. They can afford to put $3500-$5000 in a plane. I have no problem with that and I like to watch them fly.
and....
I've seen guys who have to have "status symbol" planes. They just want to show up at the field with the biggest and most expensive plane there. It's not about how much enjoyment they recieve flying them it's more about bragging rights. They drag the 33% out and put it together and it sits there looking pretty while they fly a 60 size stick or a Four Star. They really can't afford the plane and scared to fly it...but they can tell everybody "I have a 33% with a DA and ....."
then...
There's the guy that shows up and drags out a 33% and as soon as (or if) he gets it in the air you can tell he can't fly. It's all over the place. When he tears it all to pieces it's ok because he's got more money than sense and next week he will have a new plane.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: WCB

Some guys have the big expensive planes and can fly the wings off them. They are good flyers and really enjoy the big planes. They can afford to put $3500-$5000 in a plane. I have no problem with that and I like to watch them fly.
and....
I've seen guys who have to have "status symbol" planes. They just want to show up at the field with the biggest and most expensive plane there. It's not about how much enjoyment they recieve flying them it's more about bragging rights. They drag the 33% out and put it together and it sits there looking pretty while they fly a 60 size stick or a Four Star. They really can't afford the plane and scared to fly it...but they can tell everybody "I have a 33% with a DA and ....."
then...
There's the guy that shows up and drags out a 33% and as soon as (or if) he gets it in the air you can tell he can't fly. It's all over the place. When he tears it all to pieces it's ok because he's got more money than sense and next week he will have a new plane.
So.........
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I guess I'm rich because I have a 30% Extra 300L that cost me somewhere between $3000-$3500 to build it. Hardly. I work a regular job like the rest of you. I'm not self-empoyed and i'm not rich. I'm not even upper middle class. I just have different goals and desires in this hobby than some.

But this is my ONLY hobby. I don't collect guns, boats or cars. I don't take expensive vacations. I don't gamble or drink. I don't have a mistress. All of those are expensive.

Whats the difference if a guy has 2 airplanes worth $5000 each OR 20 airplanes worth $500 each? Same investment in the hobby.

I guess you could make the argument that the guy with 20 airplanes can crash more and still have airplanes to fly. My answer to that would be guys who fly $5000 airplanes don't usually crash as often. Most guys with any thumbs and sense don't wreck those kinds of planes very often.

There are some guys who have more money than sense or thumbs and they wreck expensive airplanes all the time. It's not up to me to say they shouldn't be flying them. It's his money.

I like big airplanes. The biggest thing I have is a 30% Extra with a 90" wingspan. Thats a teeny little TOY compared to a 40% or 42% plane. But 30% is the biggest thing I can afford right now, so it's what I fly. The bigger planes just fly SO much better. If you've never flown anything over 25% or 120 size, then you have NO IDEA why guys like big planes. You just don't understand it until you fly one. It's a completely different airplane.

I say:
If the guy can afford it and he wants to build it then stand next to him and encourage him instead of putting him down because his priorities are in a different place than yours. [8D]
Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me tell you, I've seen people spend... and loose a lot of money on models.
It doesn't last forever. They eventually throw in he towel and get back to basics.
Everyone (well us normal guys) has a limit. Maybe it's our savings account or maybe it's our shattered ego's, but eventually that limited is reached and you end up facing your own reality.
It's it all really worth it? Have I become a better pilot? Am I more successful? And the REAL question: Am I happier?
The answer is, of course not!
If money is the answer to everything, then 99.9% of us are skrewed baby!
Bigger flys better, no question, but it doesn't make YOU fly better.
Bigger makes your ego feel better while on the strip... but inside, the cost of stroking that ego, can be seriously eating you, and your/families bank account away.
Not to mention, if you don't have TOC skills... you look kinda dumb when airborn. Is that so cool?

Remember the real deal:
There is NOTHING more impressive than a quiet guy turning up at a strip with a old, small simple model and blowing people away with perfectly presented and brilliantly tuned flying skills.
And there is nothing, repeat nothing more PATHETIC than seeing the strip-millioners, demonstrating the total lack of theirs!

The people that can fly and take flying seriously understand that... SO well!
The people that just own, never will.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

That's your personal preference and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

Some people however make different choices.

One thing I notice in this thread is that people who spend a lot of money on a large, high performance airplane seem to be being looked down upon? Yes, there are guys with more money than brains or flying skills then there are also guys who are VERY serious about this hobby and they have top-notch equipment and unbelievable piloting skills. What if someone is involved in some sort of high level aerobatic competition? Is he a fool for spending big bucks? What about the guy with the unbelievably detailed warbird or jet? Is he someone to point at and ridicule?

Take other hobbies.... the almost priceless collector car or street rod, the custom-built Harley, the garage full of dirt bikes. Heck, I even know a guy who probably has $10,000 in an aquarium. Does anyone point to them and wonder what's wrong with them?

This is a free country and we all can choose to pursue our hobby the way we wish. That goes for the guy with the 50% aerobatic plane or the guy who chooses to stick with foamie park flyers. It is all fun, it is all valid.

Obviously spending beyond your means for a hobby is foolish but if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happy.

Myself, the most I have invested in one airplane is around $1500. I never thought I would do that but this hobby has a way expanding your horizons. I don't plan on anything more expensive than that at this point in time but I'm not going to rule it our either. As long as I have a good job, and I have soem disposable income left over after funding all the more important stuff, I will enjoy this hobby or whatever else I choose to pursue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.