Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help with Painting Koverall

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help with Painting Koverall

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Painting Koverall

I ordered Brodak Paints the other day and i wanted to clarify the correct process for using them in combination with Koverall.
Ive read that there is Taughting and NonTaughting Clears? I however didnt see any difference nor did it specify which it was on Brodak Website. They do sell Nitrate clear, and Butyrate Clear. I purchased Butyrate clear, and Butyrate colors.

So ive got my primer, clear, and colors. I understand the process somewhat on applying the Koverall i have Stixit adhesive for that. But i want to get the most lusterous shine to my airplane as possible and im confused on the best steps to apply these items.

Do i just clear to seal the fabric, and them prime and paint, clearing again at the very end? or is there another way to go about this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help with Painting Koverall

I hope that some one else chimes in, but here goes :

It's my understanding that you want to seal the koverall with nitrate dope. No primer should be necessary, just go to your color. You can put the butyrate clear over the color coats.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first 2 coats I do are nitrate. Most modelers use non taunting dope as taunting continues to shrink for the rest of its life and can crush an airframe down the road. If you are using a primer it goes on next. Prime and sand until you get the smoothness you want, but dont cut into the fabric with the sand paper. Put the color on in coats and smooth it with sand paper too until it is like you want, and then do the same with the clear. You want to use wet/dry sandpaper 600 grit and finer and spritz the plane with water while you sand. Makes a mess but it can make the prettiest paint jobs.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Trax540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do i know if the Butyrate Clear i purchased is Taughting or non. it doesnt state that info on the can. is it standard that Nitrate is or isnt. and also Butyrate is or isnt. Or do both versions Nitrate and Butyrate come in both kinds?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as I know, nitrate is non taughtening and the Butyrate is what shrinks. This is how the dope is that aircraft spruce sells. Also the Randolph's dope that Aircraft spruce sells, from what I understand is where everyone gets their dope. (Sig,Brodak etc.) I think you should just ask Brodak if this nitrate shrinks or not.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The nitrate that i used on a recent project clearly states that it is non-tautening. There is also nitrate available that is of the tautening variety. It is best to be sure what you have before applying it to your plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40516.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1145359  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kverall applied with Nitrate, then a couple coast and then prime and fill followed by butyrate is how i do it.

i haven't tried stix-it, but my buddy swears by it, and his models look great.

i go the nitrate to stick it as i have always done covering with dope.

one thing you can do if you have tautening dope (nitrate or butyrate) is to buy some "flex-all" from Dave Brown products. i just bought some for 5 bucks.
works great and won't affect anything and keeps the covering pliable for years.
we have 20 year old free flight models covered with Japanese tissue that would have become brittle by now if we had not use the flex-all in the doping process. still good as new.