Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Changing Radio Frequencies - Tower Hobbie Support says no

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Changing Radio Frequencies - Tower Hobbie Support says no

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
jab2of3
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing Radio Frequencies - Tower Hobbie Support says no

Hi,

I have been told by Tower Hobbies suppoort that under no circunstances should one change a tx or rx crystal to a different frequency. I do not get this since they sell recievers without crystels and indicate one is required and the consumer can buy any crystal for any frequency for it. They also sell a matching crystels for transmitter and reciever which can be sold on any frequency. I have already changed a RF168 crystel from chanell 15 to 24 which I use with a different channel 24 transmitter and it works fine.

I need to buy a reciever for a new plane and was hoping to use the old channel 15 transmitter (4FY) which had glitches. I wanted to get a 72 mHz crystel set for a channnel other than 15 for the transmitter and reciever. THEY ARE SAYING NOT TO. I have tested this in the past and it seems to work fine.

Can anyone help or give me a reason why? I just don't get why they sell rx's without a crystel but still tell you to never change a crystel to another frequency as long as it is used with the same frequency on the transmitter.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Changing Radio Frequencies - Tower Hobbie Support says no

I'm not sure why they told you that you can't change the receiver crystal. But their info here is wrong. You can change the crystal in the receiver with no problems.

However, they are right on the money about the transmitter. It is against the law to change the crystal in the transmitter yourself. It must be done by a licensed shop.

If you are interested in the full text of the regulations concerning this matter they can be found at:

[link=http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/47cfr95_04.html]FCC Title 47, Part 95 - Personal Radio Services[/link]

Copied from Futaba's website
How do I change the frequency of my transmitter?
For a unit with crystals: We CANNOT recommend changing crystals to a different frequency. Changing the crystal on your transmitter is illegal unless you have the proper license. The FCC has established guidelines for the modeler's safety and for the safety of spectators. For safety and FCC reasons we must request that both TX and RX be sent to the service center to ensure proper crystal change and retuning to the new frequency. Crystal based radios cannot be converted to another band without parts replacement, and may not be able to be converted at all. Certain radios can be converted, for example, from 72 to 75MHz. Please contact the service center for any other conversions.
The applicable Federal Regulation is as follows:
TITLE 47—TELECOMMUNICATION COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95—PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES

Subpart E—Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when
manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter
enclosure.
(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency
determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency
determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
considered modules and must not be accessible to the user.

Copied from FCC regulations concerning this issue

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[Revised as of October 1, 2004]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.221]
[Page 539]
TITLE 47TELECOMMUNICATION CHAPTER IFEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95_PERSONAL RADIO SERVICESTable of Contents
Subpart C_Radio Control (R/C) Radio Service
Sec. 95.221 (R/C Rule 21) How do I have my R/C transmitter serviced?
(a) You may adjust an antenna to your R/C transmitter and you may make radio checks. (A radio check means a one-way transmission for a short time in order to test the transmitter.)
(b) You are responsible for the proper operation of the station at all times and are expected to provide for observations, servicing and maintenance as often as may be necessary to ensure proper operation. Each internal repair and each internal adjustment to an FCC certificated R/C transmitter (see R/C Rule 9) must be made in accord with the Technical Regulations (see subpart E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph
(d) of this section, each internal repair and each internal adjustment of an R/C transmitter in which signals are transmitted must be made using a nonradiating (``dummy'') antenna. (d) Brief test signals (signals not longer than one minute during any five minute period) using a radiating antenna may be transmitted in order to:
(1) Adjust a transmitter to an antenna;
(2) Detect or measure radiation of energy other than the intended signal; or
(3) Tune a receiver to your R/C transmitter.

(Secs. 4(i) and 303(r), Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. 154(i) and 303(r), and sec. 553 of the Administrative Procedures Act, 5 U.S.C. 553) [48 FR 24890, June 3, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 20673, May 16, 1984; 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]

[Title 47, Volume 5]
[CITE: 47CFR95.222]
[Page 539-540]
TITLE 47TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER IFEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
Subpart C_Radio Control (R/C) Radio Service
Sec. 95.222 (R/C Rule 22) May I make any changes to my R/C station transmitter?

(a) You must not make or have anyone else make an internal modification to your R/C transmitter.
(b) Internal modification does not include:
(1) Repair or servicing of an R/C station transmitter (see R/C Rule 21, Sec. 95.221); or
(2) Changing plug-in modules which were certificated as part of your R/C transmitter.
(c) You must not operate an R/C transmitter which has been modified by anyone in any way, including modification to operate on unauthorized frequencies or with illegal power. (See R/C Rules 9 and 10, Sec. Sec. 95.209 and 95.210.)
[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]

[Title 47, Volume 5]
[CITE: 47CFR95.645]
[Page 561]
TITLE 47TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER IFEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
Subpart E_Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter enclosure.
(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
considered modules and must not be accessible to the user.
[53 FR 36789, Sept. 22, 1988. Redesignated at 61 FR 28769, June 6, 1996, and further redesignated at 61 FR 46567, Sept. 4, 1996; 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can change the RX...it is against FCC rules to change the TX (unless it is a module)
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
jab2of3
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats what I thought. I thinks they started to spass out about using the incorrect band or something.

Okay thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You never know who you might get on the other end of the line at Tower?