Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nose heavy Ultra Stick 60

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nose heavy Ultra Stick 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
indgroove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose heavy Ultra Stick 60

Hello, I have an nose heavy Ultra Stick 60. I put a 2700 mAh battery in the rear behind the servo tray as far back as I could get it. I tried modifications but with the 4 stroke 100, I am nose heavy. Any reccomendations on where to put the lead weights. How did you balance yours? Thanks, Ind
Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM
jay2000dakota

Default RE: Nose heavy Ultra Stick 60

I don't own an ultra stick but I can offer advise. If there is open space in the fuse rear of the servo compartment, cut the covering and mount it as far back as needed. If all else fails add lead weights as far back on the fuse as possible.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
aa2dd

on mine, I put servos in the rear. then I built the battery compartment far enought to the rear to balance, which ended up being behind the rear edge of the wing. on bottom of fuse. with Saito 100, was able to balance with no extra weights

Bruce
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up with both servos in the rear of mine. I generally assemble the ARF without the elevator or rudder servos and check the CG. If it is nose heavy, I try one rubber banded to the back, then both. On some planes, I have had to cut a hatch and move the battery back to the rear. I like the pull-pull on rudder, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54785.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1146371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93754.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1146372  
Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 PM
TedMo

Just curious. I don't have an ultra stick 60 and am wondering why this particular plane seems to be so nose heavy? from the pix it seems about same as most in respect to nose and tail moments. I know if it were mine I would do same as you and not have to add weight. Hey you must be an old fart like me, a 3 digit AMA no. HAA.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I am looking at one I may buy, and I noticed the Fusalage and firewall area is pretty sturdy compared to other .60 sized planes I've looked at, could be the reason.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
rickiecronin

Maybe its just me..... but all my planes are nose heavy.... and they all fly just fine thank you. I think to many people spend to much time on balencing there planes... this is not to say you should't get them close.... but exact..no need. I know guys that go as far as sticking commond pins in the tail to get it to balance just right. NO NEED. If mine are a little nose heavy.....its fine with me
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

I would say there are a couple of reasons that many planes come out nose heavy.

First, it's safer for the general modeler than a tail heavy plane.

Second, they are designed to balance with the lightest engine. For the US 60, this might be a Saito .72 or an OS .65LA. These engines weigh, as I recall, less than 20 ounces, whereas a ball bearing .61/.75/.91 weighs in the 26-28 ounce range.

I have used an SK .91 and an Evo 1.00 on mine so I expected the plane to be nose heavy and moved the servos to the rear. And I don't go to any big process to check CG. I do have one of the CG machines, but I normally just pick it up on the main spar. It flies fine there.