Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RCU Twilight Zone

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RCU Twilight Zone

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
mikegordon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCU Twilight Zone

Wow, is it just me or did something really strange happen to RCU yesterday?
Now, this morning, I drag my lazy but out of bed, log in and things are back to normal. Go figure! I was so pleased they had reconsidered.
The really funny part is there was no warning "they" were going to try to "re-invent the wheel".
And now the posts that were there yesterday saying what a bad idea it was have been pulled. There is no mention of their brain fart. And life goes on just like nothing happened.
Wouldn't it be just great to have that much control that you can, just like that "snap", - change history, leaving no tracks. Just like with "his most merciful" the "anointed one!"
Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
mclina

Default RE: RCU Twilight Zone

I was pretty freaked out last night when I got on. I am very glad to see things back to normal.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, don't get too comfortable. I'm sure the new site will be back as soon as they get a few bugs out of it
Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I for one didn't like what I saw, and it took forever to come up. Never could understand why they always try to fix something that is not broke. It is like your favorite store. For years you head down the isle to find whatever, and find out they have changed the location of everything. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I don't like change either, but if the bugs are out and things work properly (i.e. DO NOT DITCH the 'my forums' button!) maybe there will be some worthwhile improvements. The designers of the site did a good enough job last time to keep thousands of us loyal, so let's have some faith...
Old 03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Wow, is it just me or did something really strange happen to RCU yesterday?
Now, this morning, I drag my lazy but out of bed, log in and things are back to normal. Go figure! I was so pleased they had reconsidered.
The really funny part is there was no warning "they" were going to try to "re-invent the wheel".
And now the posts that were there yesterday saying what a bad idea it was have been pulled. There is no mention of their brain fart. And life goes on just like nothing happened.
Wouldn't it be just great to have that much control that you can, just like that "snap", - change history, leaving no tracks. Just like with "his most merciful" the "anointed one!"

I've worked with several organizations in my life and they all at one time or another have had computer glithes, software conversion nightmares, etc. My own ISP went down for about four hours for "system maintenance". I have to reboot my PC occasionally because response time gets rediculous. I think it's because of Internet Explorer and the fact that I will run several applications/web sites simutaineously. Stop and think about everything computers bring to our lives. We don't need a dictionary anymore or encyclopedias. I also have made some very enjoyable E-mail friends through RCU. Remember the old "dial-up" ISP days? There is no progress without change. No change - no progress. [sm=idea.gif]

Bill
Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well, don't get too comfortable. I'm sure the new site will be back as soon as they get a few bugs out of it
I know the bugs can be fixed but I honestly did not like the whole look and feel of the site. I'm open to change and willing to give things a chance but what I saw yesterday I doubt I could get used to.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The irony here is the statements above were echoed when we rolled out our classifieds as well as THIS forum. Now people want these when years ago they were scorned in the same way as being echoed above.

Remember...the horse and buggy was never broken but somebody invented a car. Your old non-HD tv set was not broken but today you have an HD set or will likely get one soon. If we don't push ahead we will someday be relegated to being the horse and buggy that wasn't broken. Think of how many companies had non broken products like Kodak and where they are today as others pushed ahead and innovated. You have to keep moving forward or you are moving backward and will someday not be relevant. That said it is important that one be mindful to move ahead properly. We don't want to be the next Windows Vista but we do want to be the next Mac OS X or Windows 7. Imagine if Apple never made the ipod because the sony walkman wasn't broken?

If you like RCU now all I can tell you is that I'm the guy that started it from day one and as an owner/user I have the same interests and experience here as everyone else. If we make changes and some things don't work we fix them. However we will keep pushing forward not for the sake of it but so that one day we all don't wake up and realize that RCU is a horse and buggy in a world full of automobiles.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I understand what everybody is saying here. But trust me, this is not change just to change. The current software that runs RCU is at it's limit and we can't upgrade it any longer. There are a lot of things that need to change wtih RCU, but many of them will never be seen by members because they are all on the operations side of RCU. Things that make RCU run need to be improved and we cannot do that without a major softward upgrade. However, with that being said, there are a lot of things the members will see that will be major improvements. The search engine is being fixed. Many say that they don't like the new look of RCU. If you look back to the last time RCU upgraded (to what we currently have) the same things were said, they didn't like the new look. It's just human nature to avoid changes. But trust me, Marc is listening to what is being said. He's considering whether to move forward with this or not.

Ken
Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

The irony here is the statements above were echoed when we rolled out our classifieds as well as THIS forum. Now people want these when years ago they were scorned in the same way as being echoed above.

Remember...the horse and buggy was never broken but somebody invented a car. Your old non-HD tv set was not broken but today you have an HD set or will likely get one soon. If we don't push ahead we will someday be relegated to being the horse and buggy that wasn't broken. Think of how many companies had non broken products like Kodak and where they are today as others pushed ahead and innovated. You have to keep moving forward or you are moving backward and will someday not be relevant. That said it is important that one be mindful to move ahead properly. We don't want to be the next Windows Vista but we do want to be the next Mac OS X or Windows 7. Imagine if Apple never made the ipod because the sony walkman wasn't broken?

If you like RCU now all I can tell you is that I'm the guy that started it from day one and as an owner/user I have the same interests and experience here as everyone else. If we make changes and some things don't work we fix them. However we will keep pushing forward not for the sake of it but so that one day we all don't wake up and realize that RCU is a horse and buggy in a world full of automobiles.

Actually RC what you are getting are a-lot of back handed complements. We've grown so dependant on this site we get a-little testy when it's acting up. I'm a relatively new member and wish I had signed on years ago. Keep up the good work and keep hammering on that downtime.

What are you doing in the Gawd awful state N.J.? I escaped after serving my 17 year sentence. Basking Ridge is OK though.

Bill
Old 03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
MinnFlyer

Yes, I remember when we went to this current format (the one you have been using for the past few years) from the old one. Many people hated it. I even had a few reservations, and it went up, had lots of bugs, and was taken down. But eventually the bugs got worked out and we have the great site we have today.

I too was a bit turned off when i saw the new site, but I have faith in Marc, Michael, Nathan, John, Ken, et.al. - they will give us a better place to play - it will just take a little getting used to.

One thing I DID notice that I liked was that you could upload pics without having to go to the "Post Reply" page
Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I can deal with the change. Would prefer you keep the same look and make it transparent. What I saw yesterday was a navigation problem, more like nightmare. Was not intuitive.
Edwin
Old 03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
mikegordon10

One of the problems I saw yesterday was that no matter how many times I logged in I was still "a guest"
Then even after I found the place to click, I never could get My Forums to display. Duh, I was still a guest! Go figure.
I guess it will be OK once you get all the bugs worked out. We have all come to depend on RCU and even if I've had some of my wittier post pulled by the post nazis it would still suck to do without it.
As far as your thinking that you have to move forward or be left behind, I'm not sure who it is that you think you've got to keep up with. You've got the market cornered.
I remember back in the 60's having a list of license plate #'s of cars that I just knew were following me. In reality the list contained the plate numbers of all the cars that had just happened to be behind me.
This is what's known as paranoia, brought about by a severe lack of sleep and too much meth. I do hope your not suffering from the same type of delusion.
It would be nice to get a little warning in advance of major changes.
I about had a hart attack when the new site first loaded. I knew right then I was in deep dew dew.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 PM
flaminheli

I remimber when I was always on a popular atv site when they decided to change things up. The entire site loaded slower for everyone and no ones complaints were answered so we all wandered over to another site. After a few days of very few posts and viewers the site we all left sent all of use emails saying that they went back to the old way and were inviting us back. But we had already started liking the site we wandered over to.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Edwin

Yeah, I doubt that would happen here. Mark is pretty responsive. I remember the first change over. And I admit I didnt like it at first but some changes were made and I eventually got comfortable with it. The big thing was getting rid of the pop-ups. I would have left if those stayed. They way it is now with the top portion of the page filled with the ad, I deal with it. After all, I dont pay. But I'm sure the number of hits helps determine ad rates. This system works for me.

Can I ask a favor? Can we have forum searchs that take you to the post you want to see, and spell checker! Just a suggestion.
Edwin
Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 PM
flaminheli

You can get rid of the ads that appear on the top of the page in your account settings. I did and it was alot better afterwards.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

One of the problems I saw yesterday was that no matter how many times I logged in I was still "a guest"
Then even after I found the place to click, I never could get My Forums to display. Duh, I was still a guest! Go figure.
This problem was caused by one small file that wasn't copied over. Nobody could log in because of this, myself included!!! [:'(]

Anyway, I spoke with Marc earlier this evening and for now the upgrade is on hold. Marc has some real concerns that the new forum will slow on less than top of the line computers. We're going to be doing some more testing on that. But Marc's word was that if the new forums are slower than what we have now it may never come back. It' something he's going to be taking a serious look at over the next couple of months. Everything is on hold for right now.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 PM
flaminheli

I have a dual core processor 800 gig hard drive with 4 gigs of RAM, Radeon gaming video card with a very good DSL connection. It loaded slow on my computer. I don't think my computer had anything to do with it loading slow.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Yeah, I doubt that would happen here. Mark is pretty responsive. I remember the first change over. And I admit I didnt like it at first but some changes were made and I eventually got comfortable with it. The big thing was getting rid of the pop-ups. I would have left if those stayed. They way it is now with the top portion of the page filled with the ad, I deal with it. After all, I dont pay. But I'm sure the number of hits helps determine ad rates. This system works for me.

Can I ask a favor? Can we have forum searchs that take you to the post you want to see, and spell checker! Just a suggestion.
Edwin
Edwin,

We actually have this and have had it for some time. On the search page there are some drop down options. On the one that says Search Only you want to select Topics and Replies (do NOT select the combine topics & replies option). This will bring you to the posts that have the keyword hits.

marc
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I understand what everybody is saying here. But trust me, this is not change just to change. The current software that runs RCU is at it's limit and we can't upgrade it any longer. There are a lot of things that need to change wtih RCU, but many of them will never be seen by members because they are all on the operations side of RCU. Things that make RCU run need to be improved and we cannot do that without a major softward upgrade. However, with that being said, there are a lot of things the members will see that will be major improvements. The search engine is being fixed. Many say that they don't like the new look of RCU. If you look back to the last time RCU upgraded (to what we currently have) the same things were said, they didn't like the new look. It's just human nature to avoid changes. But trust me, Marc is listening to what is being said. He's considering whether to move forward with this or not.

Ken

I would like to make a suggestion. When you need to pull the system down is there a way we could get advance notice. "We will be down on 03/10/2009 from 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM Eastern Standard Time." My ISP went down for system maintenance with no notice and I was not happy. I would ask the same of them. I might have had an absolute need to be on line and with advance notice might have been able to make other arrangements. Computers to people are as important as electric, gas and telephone service. If I had a choice of losing my refrigerator or my computer it would be the fridge.

Just a thought. If you are going to make a great thing better have at it.

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Edwin

Thanks Marc,
All this time it was right there. I understand the issues you're dealing with. Happens regularly at work.
Edwin
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a very old Gateway that has to take a gasp of air every now and then just to stay alive. Slower could be harmful to it's health!! Can we have spell check back???
Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Is there a search for just searching within one post. Some of the posts have 5000+ replies and a lot of good information in them, but when you try to search for that information, it is extremely difficult and time consuming to do so.

Greg
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Edwin

Old Rookie,
See post 19. I tried it, it works.
Edwin
Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

Is there a search for just searching within one post. Some of the posts have 5000+ replies and a lot of good information in them, but when you try to search for that information, it is extremely difficult and time consuming to do so.

Greg
You can also use your browser - Click Edit>Find and type in the word you're looking for. It will find it if the word is on that page.

You'll have to use it page-by-page, but it's still better than nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.