Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Garage sales - do they work??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Garage sales - do they work??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM
yak11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage sales - do they work??

I've recently decided to leave r/c after 46+ years. Naturally, I have accumulated MUCH "stuff". I would lke to sell all at once as a single sale. Is a garage sale worthwhile? Does anyone out there have an experience in doing this? If so was your sale successful??
Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Garage sales - do they work??

Get ready to lose your tail. When you buy a new car and drive it off the lot you would be surprised how much you lose if you sell it back in a very short time, the hobby is worse.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: yak11

I've recently decided to leave r/c after 46+ years. Naturally, I have accumulated MUCH "stuff". I would lke to sell all at once as a single sale. Is a garage sale worthwhile? Does anyone out there have an experience in doing this? If so was your sale successful??

I love garage sales. I usually don't see a-lot of guys there. Guys are in the cat bird seat. Women will get there 1/2 hour before the posted opening and beg the seller to open early. Guys can sleep in and go at 1:00PM and still find the tools and stuff because the ladies could care less. If I were you I would put your stuff in the RCU classifieds of that Auctionland site. You will have a more focused crowd and it will for much more money. PM me with an advanced sale listing please. Keep one flyin' rig in case you get the itch down the road.

Bill
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: WALKERS210-RCU

Get ready to lose your tail. When you buy a new car and drive it off the lot you would be surprised how much you lose if you sell it back in a very short time, the hobby is worse.

Absolutely right. Target your market.

Bill
Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It wouldn't be fast but you would get MUCH more out the more valuable stuff if you put it up on e-bay. Write good ads and include a good pix or two.
I cleaned out (well, there still is a lot in there...) my garage a couple years back and netted over 4K.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
cowboydfk

got a local hobbyshop?mabe they can sell your stuff on comission,mine does,always used planes hanging from the ceilling.I wish when I drive my wife to garage sales I would see planes for sale but no such luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
yak11

Thanks to all who replied. The hassle of trying to ship multiple sales to many buyers is really a potential PIA to me. I think maybe I'll send flyers to the central Fl area clubs to see if someone, or perhaps a group of guys might buy it all. I only have one a/c flying now. A 105" Aeroworks Edge 540 w/ 3w100 power. 95% complete is a Fibreclassics Kangaroo w/ JetCat 120. They would present big problems to ship safely. A Balsa USA Neuport 28 that is all framed, but not covered would probably arrive as toothpicks. Thanks again for all the input. ( sure wish I hadn't crashed my Fibreclassics Yak11, I feel sure I could have sold it for a fair price. Still looked and flew great after 13+ years of campaigning)

Ron
Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CHeck the clubs in your area and see if one or more of them has a yearly auction. Then just bring it all there
Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

CHeck the clubs in your area and see if one or more of them has a yearly auction. Then just bring it all there

Good idea or post an ad in your local flying club's newletter. I think that in this economy if you garage sale your stuff you might as well give it away. If that's OK with you, PM me and I'll give you my mailing address. I'll pay the shipping - even have UPS box it up for you.

Bill

Bill
Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: yak11

Thanks to all who replied. The hassle of trying to ship multiple sales to many buyers is really a potential PIA to me. I think maybe I'll send flyers to the central Fl area clubs to see if someone, or perhaps a group of guys might buy it all. I only have one a/c flying now. A 105" Aeroworks Edge 540 w/ 3w100 power. 95% complete is a Fibreclassics Kangaroo w/ JetCat 120. They would present big problems to ship safely. A Balsa USA Neuport 28 that is all framed, but not covered would probably arrive as toothpicks. Thanks again for all the input. ( sure wish I hadn't crashed my Fibreclassics Yak11, I feel sure I could have sold it for a fair price. Still looked and flew great after 13+ years of campaigning)

Ron

Brother, I wish I lived in Florida, I'd drive over to buy that Nieuport.

Bill
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to a club sale Saturday and prices were low.

I bought a ARF electric Telemaster 72 1/2" from the local dealer that was at the sale for $100

I plan on cutting out the electric junk with a Dremel and running a Saito 56.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I went to a club sale Saturday and prices were low.

I bought a ARF electric Telemaster 72 1/2" from the local dealer that was at the sale for $100

I plan on cutting out the electric junk with a Dremel and running a Saito 56.
Sweet airplane. Enjoy!

Bill
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Post here on the RCU marketplace and say local pickup.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

Post here on the RCU marketplace and say local pickup.
This is often done especially with built models
Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Garage sales are a waste of time. You get a bunch of people looking to get stuff for $0.25 - $1. Most people coming to your garage sale will see your stuff as "toy planes". Best bet is to advertise at the local clubs and/or take it to local RC aircraft swap meets. Smaller stuff that you can ship can be sold on RCU or eBay.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had a club auction every year, that's where I always got my kits. Every year we hald a big IMAA event and one year a fellow from our club brought his trailer with every thing in his shop there for sale. It all sold. As mentioned, be prepared to loose your mule!!! I paid $10.00 for a GIANT Royal F4U kit with cowl, 10 bucks for a Mid West Hots kit, 10 bucks for a CG Extra kit, 10 bucks for a GP Aeromaster kit. Anyway, you get the picture, no one wil pay you for anything. In my case I was the only builder left in two clubs so I got a lot of kits for almost nothing.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
TFF

What is the chance someone coming to the garage sale will know what a jet model is and who has the cash to buy? Most garage sale buyers wince at $100; try to explain $4000. I new a guy who told me he sold all his plane for $50 total; about 15 if I remember; with radios. It was before I knew him as I would have given $51. You will have to be patient and flexible to get anything out of them.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
yak11

When I used the term "garage sale", Iused it to mean a group sale here on this website, not a general public garage sale. Sorry for the mix-up.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM
chopper man

Just curious. why are you getting out of the hobby?

chopper
Old 03-10-2009, 04:52 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

By and large, I concur with the other guys.

Here's an idea...it might be a bit crazy, though. What about asking one of your flying buddies to catalogue and sell your gear via eBay, or whatever. You'd have to offer him a percentage on the deal, but you could still find yourself quids in.

I did a slightly similar task for a mate of mine, in that he asked me tidy up his workshop. You see, he didn't have the heart to do it himself. Took me 3 days! And I shifted 9 trailer-loads of junk to the tip; coulda shifted several more, but he wouldn't part with those tatty airframes. (It was a freebie, btw, I couldn't make a charge for the service.) Now, he can actually use his workshop.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

By and large, I concur with the other guys.

Here's an idea...it might be a bit crazy, though. What about asking one of your flying buddies to catalogue and sell your gear via eBay, or whatever. You'd have to offer him a percentage on the deal, but you could still find yourself quids in.

I did a slightly similar task for a mate of mine, in that he asked me tidy up his workshop. You see, he didn't have the heart to do it himself. Took me 3 days! And I shifted 9 trailer-loads of junk to the tip; coulda shifted several more, but he wouldn't part with those tatty airframes. (It was a freebie, btw, I couldn't make a charge for the service.) Now, he can actually use his workshop.

I've always felt a kinship with you "Limey" blokes. Nice guy.

Bill
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Mahu
My Feedback: (4)

Yak11, I live in FL and my Grandfather flew a Neuport 28 back in 1918. Been looking for a good one to build and cover with his colors. Where in FL do you live maybe I can come to your " Garage Sale" :-)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
mvigod
Banned

Post individually in the RCU Classifieds or put all in one "garage Sale" listing on RCU's classifieds. Free to list either way. You can specify local pickup only or if you want to ship you can tell buyers where. With the biggest RC marketplace of buyers/sellers here you are likely to get the best pric.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Mahu

Yak11, I live in FL and my Grandfather flew a Neuport 28 back in 1918. Been looking for a good one to build and cover with his colors. Where in FL do you live maybe I can come to your " Garage Sale" :-)

My great, great uncle was Billy Bishop. He flew a 17.

Bill
Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
yak11

Sorry for the delay, but was away from home to watch the shuttle launch on Wed. It did not launch, and won't before Sun pm. I live in Lake Wales, which is between Tampa and Orlando, about 20 miles south of I4. If you know where Cypress Gardens is, I live about a 5 minute drive from there. I am not having a garage sale like you see all over Fl. I used that term to mean a sell-out of all my gear, hopefully to one person, or one group. If you have a definite interest in the Nieuport, I would be happy to sell it, with the engine, wheels, pilot, & covering as a separate group. If interested, call me for info 863-969-4417

Ron Buran