Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Alitmeter

Old 03-24-2002, 05:39 AM
DougX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alitmeter

I'm looking for a small altimeter I could put in my 40 size plane (or park flyer if they make them that small). I'd like to be able to take off fly high and get a reading when I return to earth. I know they put altimeters in wrist watches so it can be done. I also wonder if the air rushing over the model would effect the reading.

I await you wisdom.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:48 AM
glalderman
My Feedback: (9)

Default Alitmeter

Doug, go to this site http://www.emsjomar.com/ and click on Data Logging Systems

Greg
Old 03-24-2002, 06:05 PM
DougX

Default Cool

That is a neat system and would certainly do what I want. I wonder if it can be done a little cheaper than $125?
Old 03-24-2002, 11:21 PM
glalderman
My Feedback: (9)

Default Alitmeter

Doug, I bought a Casio Altimeter watch but it ran close to 125.00 also? I think the telemetry stuff is pretty cool!
Old 03-24-2002, 11:28 PM
DougX

Default Alitmeter

I agree it would be fun. I'm just thinking there has to be a cheaper way. Maybe not. I guess a laser range finder would be out of the ball park expensive although very accurate. On second thought the plane would have to be straight overhead or there would be some trig involved heh heh.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:22 PM
StarskiPZ

Default Altimeter

Hi guys! still around?

that website pretty good, anyone used the stuff?

I know some glider pilots ( model & full size ) use GPS systems which can not only show max altitude, but can give you a plot of you flight plan. This is down-loadable to PC for easy display.

The cheapest options I saw were: Motorola GPS card ( basic circuit-board with RS232 output), plus antenae, plus 9v battery, thats it. You then download to PC after the flight via the RS232 connector.

At the moment I'm looking for suppliers of component cards only, as there are loads of complete GPS handheld retailers....
Old 01-16-2003, 12:25 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Default Altimeter

For info on GPS boards, check the RC-CAM website-lot of info. I bought 2 different GPS OEM boards from BG Micro electronics( they have a website). For most boards, you need to build a PC interface circuit. I bought a Casio altimeter watch from Sears on sale for $80 for the purpose, but have gone to GPS,video and VDO.