Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Smoke system oil mixed with fuel...is it OK?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoke system oil mixed with fuel...is it OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoke system oil mixed with fuel...is it OK?

I am always fascinated by our glow powered airplanes....not because of the buzzy engine noise(except for my old 1980 vintage Super Tiger .60 that has a nice throaty sound that reminds me of a Mack truck revving up...of course an exaggeration but it really sounds like a Mack truck to me)....but because of the nice smoke trail it leaves. I was wondering if the "Super Dri" smoke oil can be added to the glow fuel mix to create a heavier smoke trail....or is that going to wreck the silicon fuel lines? ......perhaps carbon fouling in the piston crown and combustion chamber? ...or maybe a happy engine with a happier smoke trail with a happier Smoky the Bandit RC pilot?
Thanks for your valuable reply.
larry
Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smoke system oil mixed with fuel...is it OK?

Smoke oil is intended to be injected into the exhaust. NEVER mix it with your fuel. You will ruin the fuel, and probably foul your engine.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your happy Engine will no longer be happy It might not even run[:@]
Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all, with all the gizmos out there, we have to check and double check with the forums otherwise an innocent alteration can spell disaster. Smokey the Bandit will not be using "Super Dri" smoke oil in the combustion chamber, thanks........ Well, how about a small dosage of trans. fluid mixed with the fuel? You see I am changing my fuel lines and my fuel tank rubber stoppers to universal compatibility(glow, gasoline, diesel all compatible). Is trans. fluid OK? Did you ever try it? If so...howzzit?
Thanks again for your valuable reply.
larry
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry, in all honesty, anything you add to the fuel is going to hinder performance. And nothing you can add to the fuel will give you the smoke you need. Smoke is awesome, but the only way to achieve it is with a pump and a seperate smoke oil tank. Minnflyer posted a tutorial on the subject. It is worth the read [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=455]Got smoke?[/link]

EDIT: There is also the alternative of using smoke sticks. Try a google search, I know I've seen them before.