Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Best RC hobby store in Chicago area?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best RC hobby store in Chicago area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
EastcoastJJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best RC hobby store in Chicago area?

Did a search, found a bunch, but if you guys could help me narrow it down to like 2 or 3.

Anything within an hour of downtown Chicago. Preferably looking for a store with good selection of RC stuff and fair prices.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Best RC hobby store in Chicago area?

Is Al's in Elmhurst still in business? I've heard that is/was the best hobby shop in that area.

Jerry
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 PM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Is Al's in Elmhurst still in business? I've heard that is/was the best hobby shop in that area.

Jerry
still has a website up. Prob try to check it out tomorrow..

Any others?

thnks
Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

What exactly are you looking for?
I live in the chicago area and ive been to alot of the local shops. Als, Lombard, Gentle Jungle, Ed's Hobby, Lagrange.
Some carry more of 1 not another ect... Some have small selections of everything. Just lemme know if theres anything specific you want.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
EastcoastJJ

ORIGINAL: Trax540

What exactly are you looking for?
I live in the chicago area and ive been to alot of the local shops. Als, Lombard, Gentle Jungle, Ed's Hobby, Lagrange.
Some carry more of 1 not another ect... Some have small selections of everything. Just lemme know if theres anything specific you want.
mostly Heli's, and cars...

thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 AM
sedrick

Al's has the best selection and is the nearest to downtown Chicago. Open at Noon on Mondays, and AM on the remaining weekdays.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Strictly RC in Harwood heights IL might be worth a look .... they have an ok selection but can order you almost anything your heart desires lead times are usually pretty good too , within a couple of days at the most , but I would have to say Als' hobby shop has the largest selection of RC anything that I have seen , great staff as well
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These three are my favorites. None of them is exactly around the corner for me so I usually hit them up for big purchases like planes, engines and radio equipment. Stuff to finish up projects are from local shops.

Al's Hobby Shop, 121-123 Addison St., Elmhurst, (630) 832 4908
Venture Hobbies, 23 Huntington Lane, Wheeling, (847) 537 8669
Leisure Hours Hobbies, 2712 Plainfield Rd. (Rte. 30 at I-55), Joliet

Venture Hobbies has a [link=http://www.venturehobbies.com/]site [/link]that's pretty good.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
quiljw01

I see the last post on this topic is form 2009 - I moved to Chicagoland recently and i'm looking to get back into r/c. All i can find on google maps is Hobbytown USA. Does anyone know of other hobby shops in the Chicagoland area? Or has everyone converted to ordering online ?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 PM
chris77
My Feedback: (1)

Al's and venture hobby are closed. Leisure hobby is about the best for airplanes, but they're mostly rc cars as is hobbytown in st Charles, if anyone knows of a shop with rc airplanes I would like to know also. Seems like you have to go online for all rc airplane needs.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hobby Town in Rockford is about the best in the northern part of the state right now. Large selection and people who actually know what they are talking about. The Hobby Town in St. Charles is under new management. The new owner was one of the managers at the Rockford store. He's a huge improvement over the previous owners. He is slowly building stock and hopefully he'll have the place running like the Rockford store. Sad about Al's, been going there for 30 years. Miss Al and will miss the shop as well.

Last edited by bullseye000; 07-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.