Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ignition

Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
cloudwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition

Hi guys, I need some advice please. I have a model with a zenoha 20cc up front and to get the ballance right without adding weight, I need to put the flight battery on top of the ignition battery which is right up the front. The instrucions on the zen say to keep the servos and reciever and the flight battery as far away from the ignition unit AND the ignition batt as possible. Now it makes sense about the ignition, but the ignition battery, dont know about that. That is where you guys come in. Thanks in advance. Bill.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ignition

The idea is to keep anything that is attached to the engine as far away from anything that attaches to the RX as you can. Rule of thumb is 12 inches or more. More is better. The throttle servo is somethimes a problem so you mount that away from the engine and use non conducting rod for the throttle push rod. Sitting a RX battery on top of the ignition battery is asking for an RF problem. This is from someone that has been breaking all the rules for years without having any RF problems and figured the rules didn't apply to him, until a couple months ago, I got hit with RF from my incorrect set up and it could have gotten real ugly very fast. I saved the plane but I learned my lesson, follow the rules!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in my 2.4gh setups, I separate the ignition module and the ignition battery from the rest of the electronics. No short cuts for me.
Edwin
Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use lead up front to balance the plane
Old 04-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi cloudwalker,

I can only echo what you have already been advised by Gray Beard. I hate adding weight to balance a model and would suggest that you look at a combination of moving the servos and going for a lighter battery (Lipo) to balance.

Don't forget a full throttle range check!

Good luck,

Colin