Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

26 guage servo wire

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

26 guage servo wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM
tlrguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 guage servo wire

I am building a TF DC-3. I am going to use a 25 pin micro D connector to attach the 24 wires I have coming from the wing to the receiver in the fuse. The largest servos are DS821 along with a few HS55. Servo leads are 24guage, 29 strand copper wire.

Here's my question.

I was sampled a 25 pin micro D from GlenAir. Mil Spec # M83513/03-d01N and it's counterpart M83513/04-d01N along with a backplate with RF and Electromagnetic shielding Mil Spec # 500T010M25-H01. This combo has a purchase price of over $700 and is extremely high quality so I would like to use it. The connector has a max amp rating of 3. I was told the wire also is rated at 3 amps max, however I can't find anything on paper to prove this.

My delema is this; The connector is prewired with 26 guage silver plated 19 strand copper wire, Not the 24 guage the servos are wired with. Should I be worried about this? Is the 26 guage too small? My total length of the 26 guage will be only 18 inches, the rest will be standard servo lead.

Sorry if the question seems technical, any suggestions would be great as I am unsure whether to use it or not.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 26 guage servo wire

Technical is an understatement. What is this set up going to accomplish for you? I am confused to say the least. Thanks Dave
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Gauge, not guage.

There is such a small difference in current capacity at those gauges that I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. What are you doing on a TF DC-3 that you want to spend $700 bucks on a connector?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I think what he said was that he basicly got the connectors for free and would like to use them if he can. What I'd like to know is why there's 24 wires coming from the wing.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM
tlrguy

Thanks for the replies people. Sorry for the tech aspect of the question. I figured many in this hobby might know what I'm talking about. Thanks for correcting me Stang, and I think your right. I spoke with a few engineers and the verdict is the wire will work. My servos will not draw enough power to be a problem. The main concern in regards to a wires ability to flow current is the insulation. The M22759/11 wire attached to this connector has the ability to withstand temps up to 200 degrees C, more than enough. I did not pay for this connector, and I will not be doing business with this company as the price is so out there. I did not know this when I asked for the sample. It's no wonder our military aircraft cost so much hey. MY TF DC-3 has 7 servos and nav/ landing lights installed for a total of 24 wires coming out the wing. The receiver, batteries and other components are located in the nose as the plane builds very tail heavy as research had shown. Instead of 8 low quality plastic connectors to attach every day, why not one high quality micro D with no chance in hell of coming apart? Clean, simple and safe.

That's my thoughts

If anybody has any more input on this subject, please speak up.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I'd say do it. A number of years ago I used a db-9 connector on a 4 servo wing. It worked fine.
Paul
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Jester241

Hey,42etus........if it takes giving someone $20.00 to never see them again.......how much would it cost me to never see the people I work with,and could I maybe get a package deal?

lol,after reading that.......thats about all I got from this post,lol. Couldnt help myself