Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fz Ys63 engine need help!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fz Ys63 engine need help!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
flyyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fz Ys63 engine need help!

I was hoping that I might be able to ask someone about getting this engine fired. I recently finished a build on a Tracer .40 scale and installed the Ys 63 in it. After installation of the engine I couldnt keep it from detonating in my first three attempts of engine fire and am concerned that I may have damaged the motor. Although the glo-plugs tiny wire is still intact could I have burnt it? Now my engine wont even fire. It seems to be extremely fussy this engine can you help me to trouble shoot this problem? Thanx
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: fz Ys63 engine need help!

Remove the glow plug and attach the battery to it. If it doesn't glow, either the plug or your battery is dead
Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these and it fired right up when new and has run beautifully ever since.

First off, make sure you have your fuel system plumbed right with the check valve oriented correctly, no leaks, etc.

Put your high speed needle at the setting shown in the instructions. This will be pretty rich but it will at least start. There should be no need to touch the low speed needle until the engine has been run, then you can decide if it needs any adjustment.

To start mine, I generally open the throttle and turn it over by hand (no power to the glow plug yet) 10 times or so to pressurize the tank. Then back the throttle down to just above idle, power up the glow plug and hit it with the electric starter. It has never let me down yet. On cooler mornings I may have to open the high speed needle 1/4 turn or so then put it back once the engine has some heat in it.

Once it is running and warmed up, close the high speed needle until it peaks then back it off a few clicks until the RPM drops slightly.

If it is set up right it should be no more difficult than any other engine.

How does the compression feel?

If the glow plug is suspect, change it. OS type-F has worked well for me. Haven't had to change it yet.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

May I assume that you are aware that the adjustment of the low end needle is just the opposite of every other make of engine? Turning it in richens the low end. Turning it out leans the low end.

One of the worst things is to start fiddling with the regulator adjustment. It should already be correct when you receive a new engine. The regulator adjustment should be flush with the engine case as a general rule of thumb.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just thought I might add that this engine loves nitro. It runs best on 20% to 30% nitro.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins

May I assume that you are aware that the adjustment of the low end needle is just the opposite of every other make of engine? Turning it in richens the low end. Turning it out leans the low end.
Learn something every day. Mine idles and transitions really well so I never gave it any more thought. Just looked at the instructions though and you are absolutely correct.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:31 PM
flyyby

I sure would like to thank you guys for the reply. I've tried the suggestions and know have some new problems. The plug for one does not glow red or any other color for that matter but does get hot. should I phsically see the glow of the plug? Next when I pressurize the system fuell leaks continually from the carb area.and i have noticed that when i turn the prop and hold it when it is compressed the pressure seems to bleed off which doesnt seem normal to me. should it hold its pressure?and this fuel regulator has been tampered with can i eliminate it?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
ChuckW

Yes, the glow plug should glow red and be so hot that it burns your fingers. If not, replace it. The OS type-F works well.

You can't eliminate the fuel regulator. If it has been messed with, you need to make it right. I completely rebuilt a YS-110 not too long ago and setting everything up correctly isn't too hard. If you aren't too sure about it, you can always send it to YS Parts & Service for repair.

Trust me, once you get this thing running correctly you'll love it.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
flyyby

Thanx so much for the reply. I know your right this engine gets me pumped just looking at it.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
superflea

if the plug is not glowing bright red then make sure your glow plug battery is charged/fresh. a weak battery will not get the plug hot enough.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: superflea

if the plug is not glowing bright red then make sure your glow plug battery is charged/fresh. a weak battery will not get the plug hot enough.
Good point, it sounds like a no-brainer but we've probably all forgotten at some point.