Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting real bad aileron Flutter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting real bad aileron Flutter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
JThuntsalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting real bad aileron Flutter

I have a problem I am having trouble figuring out. I got a stick .40 from a guy for free. It had never been flown or anything put on it. I don't think it was a ARF because it had no push rods or anything pre installed in it. It had no instructions or anything. Any way I got everything installed put a GMS .47 on it. It had duel aileron servos which mounted to the hatch. Took it out today for its madien flight take off was a breeze very small trimming required. When I went to full throttle and the plane would speed up the ailerons started fluttering so bad that I could see the whole plane shaking from them brought it in and it had fluttered so bad that it bent one pushrod on one side and the other it broke the servo out of the hatch mounts. What could cause this. Too much motor and speed or the ailerons not trimmed right. I sub trimmed them with them centered with the center of the wing. Thanks for any help on this. I think I am going to take the hatch mounts out and make servo trays for them anyhow.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting real bad aileron Flutter

JThuntsalot,

First make sure that the servos that you are using have enough torque and second make sure the control rods are strong enough. You may need 4-40 rods. Seal the hinge gap as well. If the ailerons are big barn door type it probably wont be able to be flown at full throttle.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

4-40 rods are always a good idea. Any standard servo should be OK on that plane. Fluter is always a hard one to figure out but like Zip said, if you seal the gap that could also help. You can also cut off about one inch of the ailerons at the tip and glue the cut off part to the TE. Tight controls without any slop is usually a good place to start the search.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
JThuntsalot

Here is a pic of it. I think it is a stick .40 but not sure.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
JThuntsalot

Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a stick with a big set of ailerons. You may want to look up Ed Moorman and hit him with a PM, Ed is a stick super Guru and a super duper guy, ask ED!! Ask Ed, maybe that could be a title for his next artical if he starts writing again. Just thinking!!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
JThuntsalot

Thanks for the info Gray beard. I thought about taking the wing from a crashed tango and bolting it on. HAHAHAHA . That would be one trick stick.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Jeremy, I answered you by PM & e-mail.

First, I am writing and RC Report is now on line at www.rcreport.net.

Check it out.

As I recall, that is a Stick from Cedar Hobbies that was designed for 3D or quasi-3D flying. The controls are very wide. 3D planes just can not be flown fast. The wide controls flutter in a heartbeat. I did give you some solutions for flutter in the PM.

Your best bet if you want to fly full power is to replace the ailerons with 1 1/2"-2" aileron stock and use 4-40 rods. Fixing the last 3" out by the tip also helps as flutter starts at the wing tip. I am attaching a couple of pictures of 2 of my Sticks showing the fixed part out at the wing tip.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96704.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1183671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30531.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1183672  
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Jeremy, I answered you by PM & e-mail.

First, I am writing and RC Report is now on line at www.rcreport.net.

Check it out.

As I recall, that is a Stick from Cedar Hobbies that was designed for 3D or quasi-3D flying. The controls are very wide. 3D planes just can not be flown fast. The wide controls flutter in a heartbeat. I did give you some solutions for flutter in the PM.

Your best bet if you want to fly full power is to replace the ailerons with 1 1/2"-2" aileron stock and use 4-40 rods. Fixing the last 3" out by the tip also helps as flutter starts at the wing tip. I am attaching a couple of pictures of 2 of my Sticks showing the fixed part out at the wing tip.

May I also suggest propping that thing for torque, not speed. Go with a big diameter, low pitch prop.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

You could also try longer horns and longer servo arms plus stiffer control rods to reduce the slop. USE the outer holes!

Mass balancing the ailerons can help too.

BUT if you fly that thing at high speed it may still flutter. Over the years I have had a bunch of models with a VNE [ Velocity Never to Exceed ] and am currently flying one. Just keep it slow and it will be fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

You could also try longer horns and longer servo arms plus stiffer control rods to reduce the slop. USE the outer holes!

Mass balancing the ailerons can help too.

BUT if you fly that thing at high speed it may still flutter. Over the years I have had a bunch of models with a VNE [ Velocity Never to Exceed ] and am currently flying one. Just keep it slow and it will be fine.

That is so true! I've seen enough Jets and racers on video kiss the dirt because they tried to hit Mach. You know something is wrong when your plane actually waives at you when you do a low high speed pass. That CAN only mean one thing... Flutter, and we all know that's not good.

Everyone has great advice here, love that GP Stick Ed!