Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what is-A123 battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what is-A123 battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is-A123 battery?

This is probably a stupid question. I'm in a small club, but fly a lot by myself so I don't hear about new stuff much. I've been reading in RCU about the A123 battery. I've never heard of it. What's the deal? I don't have a problem with my 4.8 batteries, but if there is a " better mouse trap" out there that will give me longer, safer flights. I'm very interested. Thanks in advance for any replies guys.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: what is-A123 battery?

Search Lithium Ion here on the electric
forums. Their new and still pricey but safer
than Lithium Polymer.

Bob
Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i think the more exact deal with A123 is its a particular manufacturer of Lithium Ion batteries. Theses are the same cells in the Lithium Ion rechargable battery packs that dewalt and acouple of others use in thier battery powered tools. A123 Systems is the company that manufacturers them.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

A123 Systems is a company. The batteries they make of which we use are a Lithium Ion type. If I remember corectly, I think the chemisty is LiFePO4, just google that for more info. As for longer and safer, depends upon what you are comparing too. A 1000Mah battery is 1000Mah reguardless of chemistry, but A123 have a pretty high energy density so they are fairly light for thier capacity, but not as light as a Li-poly. The A123 chemistry is safer than other Li-Ion types, but still probably not as safe as say a Ni-Cd. The main advantage of A123s in my opinion is not longer or safer as the OP put it, but instead the ability to withstand very rapid charges and heavy discharges without an overly large weight penalty.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 AM
outdoorhunting

Thanks everybody for the info. And also, thanks for not calling me an idiot for asking the question! It sounds like for my type flying ( just simple play around sport flying) I don't need to worry much about throwing away all my 4.8s & go buy the" new stuff" I think with all the money I'll save not buying new batteries,I can go buy another kit !! Wa-hoo!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

For sport flying, a nice 2000mah NIMH will last you pretty much all day - at least a dozen flights:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNRH6&P=0
Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Thanks everybody for the info. And also, thanks for not calling me an idiot for asking the question! It sounds like for my type flying ( just simple play around sport flying) I don't need to worry much about throwing away all my 4.8s & go buy the" new stuff" I think with all the money I'll save not buying new batteries,I can go buy another kit !! Wa-hoo!!!
there's a lot of us out here that don't understand the 123's. I am working on the MiMH ones right now, might look at the 123's later.

The only bad question is the one , not asked.

sticks
Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I am having a really good experience with Lithium-Ion (camera battery type). I got an inexpensive, lightweight 2600mah battery, and a full day of flying at the field so far has only used 550mah. It stays in my plane for charging, although I make sure I'm around when it's being charged, which only takes about 30 minutes at that amount.