Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Vent line in tank

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Vent line in tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 AM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent line in tank

Does the brass tube that is used as a vent line in a typical tank have to be bent to 90 degrees? Ibent mine to about 60 degrees andit stopsjust short of the top of thetankwhich is what it is supposed to do, but someone told me the tube has to go straight up and hence has to be at a 90 degree angle.

The tank is already installed in a 4* Sixty that Iamfinishing and it would be some work to take it out.Is it necessary to do so, or is the current set up going to work?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
DSTIEBS

Default RE: Vent line in tank

Mine is set at about 60 deg also. If it is up to the top of the tank than that iswhere it sould be. There is no need to bend it to 90.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

I am no perfectionist and if memory serves me correctly, NONE of my planes, or helis, have a 90 degree bend in the vent line!

I bend the vent line to the greatest angle possible, which will allow inatallation of the completed stopper assembly AND which locates the vent tube at the top of the tank.

Deburr all the brass tubes inside and outside then clean thoroughly. Lube the rubber stopper a bit, and you shoud be good to go.

IF...you must do a 90 degree bend, take a round (jewler's) file and make a profound groove on the vent tube's inner tank end, to prevent severing tank venting via a flat end of the tubing making contact with the tank.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

No need for 90*
The bend is to allow air into the tank without bubbling through fuel, at least part of the time, so it just needs to reach the top of the tank.
A 90* bend risks kinking the tube and restricting flow which you don't want.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
ppkk

Thanks everyone, that's what Ithought, but iwanted to double check to be sure.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM
jetmech05

you could have the vent tube stuck straight out if you wanted...but then you'd only get a 1/2 of a tank of fuel.....near the top so you get a full tank..no need for 90 deg

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I stopped using tanks with brass tubes and stoppers years ago, have gone strictly to Hayes tanks, very easy to asemble and never leak. No stopper toget brittle no tues to crack. Rarely use tanks that come withARF's, withmodify plane to make the Hayes fit first.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another trick to use on the vent, keep is short then add a short length of fuel line to the end to extend it to the top of the tank.  Cut a small V shape in the upper end so that it can not be restricted by touching the top of the tank.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Another trick to use on the vent, keep is short then add a short length of fuel line to the end to extend it to the top of the tank. Cut a small V shape in the upper end so that it can not be restricted by touching the top of the tank.
I do this too, it also keeps the brass tube from wearing a hole in the tank from vibration. I thought this little trick was shown on the instructions?? Iknow I didn't come up with it!!