Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nelson Hobbies Clear cure time??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nelson Hobbies Clear cure time??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Krener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Hobbies Clear cure time??

Hi all.
I'd use the search function but it doesn't seem to be working atm.

My question is, does the Nelsons clear have a curing time before you can put your plane into full service??
I know there is a drying time for it to be touch dry etc for handling purposes, but being polyurethane based I assume there is a period of time (days) till it has reached it's fully cured state.

I use 10% nitro so the crosslinker is in.
I'm having a dog of a time trying to spray this stuff, my mixture is fine I beleive, but it's just coming into winter here, so humidity is low & reaking havoc with the water based paints.
Gonna have to boil a pot of water in the workshop so I can at least brush the clear on with a foam brush

I'm also painting this over metallic spray paints, and as you can't sand metallic paints I'm hoping the Nelsons will stick enough to fuel proof, and I'll have to handle the plane a little mroe gently.

Any advise would be appreciated

Cheers
Old 05-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Dzlstunter

Default RE: Nelson Hobbies Clear cure time??

It's been a year or so since Ilast used the Nelson clear coat with crosslinker, but I just followed the instructions which came with it and had NO problems with either one of the two planes I used it on. Both were Worldtex covered and one of them had a section of latex paint trim and a spray painted cowling. No problem. I used the foam brush method of application after reading about the good luck others had had with it, and can't tell the difference between it and a sprayed finish. (I can get runs in both!!!) Loved the stuff! Good luck, Dzl
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Krener

Thats good news.

I did brush some pieces last night, and it flowed out well.

Not sure how soon I can put it into service though.

This Ultrasport has been on hold for a while waiting for the clear, so I'm getting kinda antsy to get her in the air.

Guess I'll drop some fuel on it tomorrow and see how she holds up.

I'd phone Nelsons & ask them, but there is a 15 hour time differance, and around $100 bucks for an international call[]

Suck it and see I guess

Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Dzlstunter

If you have put a couple of coats of crosslinked Nelson clear on your model, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try it. Remember that raw fuel will eat almost any finish if left on very long, though. If you are really worried about it, runenough fuel through the engine to leave some residue and clean it off. See what happens. I wouldn't make that call either!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, Dzl.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I am glad to hear you guys got good results brushing it on.  I hate spraying.  I have a plane that I plan to add the clear to and will plan on brushing it on.

Have you tried brushing on the colors over primed glass?  Did I mention that I hate spraying?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Krener

I haven't tried the colours yet, but I will when I complete my P 47

Just a note on the primer, I would strongly advise using Nelsons primer to save the possible headache of incompatibility between primer & paint.

May not be the most cost effective route, but factor in the time it will take to remove damaged paint due to dodgy primer messing it up & the cost differance becomes irrelevant.

BTW, the trick to brushing it on lies in the thinning.

A few passes on a test piece & watching it with decent light will give you an excellent indicator of whats going on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers