Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What do you think caused this crash???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What do you think caused this crash???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think caused this crash???

A friend of mine has....had a u-can-do with a G90 Supertigre. He has had it for only a few weeks, and has flown it 6 or 8 times with no problems. The other day, he was doing a slow fly-by, and lost contact with the plane for a few seconds. He regained contact only long enough to keep it from crashing....only to lose it again, and it went down about 100 yards away in a field. He had no control at all when it went in. He went to retrieve it, and I stayed behind with the radio, still turned on. When he got to the plane, I moved the controls....nothing. He left the plane switched on, and brought it back to the table. I also left the radio on. When he got back, I tried the controls again...nothing. He sat the plane on the table, still turned on, and was looking it over and talking to another pilot. After several minutes, just out of curiousity, I tried the sticks again...this time I had complete control...everything worked. Now, the entire time, the plane, or the radio were never turned off. He checked the battery, and it was at a little over 5 volts (4.8v battery). Any ideas on why he would lose contact for close to 10 minutes, and suddenly regain it? The radio showed 10.1 volts (channel 44), and the receiver was brand new. He's not sure what to do. He doesn't know what caused the accident, and is afraid to use any of the equipment again...radio, receiver, or battery. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: What do you think caused this crash???

Was this a Clubs field ? Someone else on his Freq. ?

I would not use that Rx again IMO. Also was the Rx antenna
exposed ?

Bob
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 AM
ScottMcM

There are only three of us in our "club", and none are on the same frequency. The antenna wire was routed inside the fuse...I think. I'll ask the guy to be sure.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Jester241

Bad switch? I've had a reciever go bad once and it would go wacky,but only for a second. Ishould have seen the hints it gave me like sometimes when I'd turn the plane on....it did nothing until Iturned it off and on a couple times. But it never affected the plane once it was on until that day it glitched on me while landing. We thought at first it was just the switch,but after swapping out the rx.....it was definetly the rx. I almost lost a plane while landing because of it. Still might be the reciever though even though its new.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM
danny03

You may want to send the Transmitter and receiver in to the Mfg, or an authorized Repair Shop. They can examine both and check for any defects and make any necessary repairs. It may cost a little but then you should have a peace of mind about those two components.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would test the wire harness first.  I use an old style orbital sander (transformer type) obviously with no sand paper on it, just the foam pad.  I use a led volt meter plugged into a spare receiver socket.  Charge the battery, turn on the receiver and vibrate the hell out of the fuse close to where the switch harness is.  If the leds bounce around then you have a bad switch.  Other than that, its hard to figure why you loose it for 10 minutes or so then get it back.  Definately look for an potential RF generators like metal to metal contact.  It may be only intermittant.  I've had really weird failures in batteries but that generally is in the older ones, over 2 years or so.  I had a 4 year battery cycle good at 95% capacity and month later died in flight.  Lost a 1/5 cub in that one.   I would send it to Radio South.  The complete flight pack, battery and all. 

Edwin

Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a situation like that send everthing tx,rx,servos,bat and switch to radio south along with description of what happened ,they should be able to find/repair and give the equipment a clean bill of  health.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM
ScottMcM

I'm pretty sure that's what he'll do. I believe there is still some warranty left on his radio, and the rx is new. He went on a shopping trip yesterday and returned with a brand new Futaba 2.4 setup. I imagine he'll still use the "old" system on some of his planes, though. I'm sticking to 72 mhz...it would cost me a fortune to convert over to 2.4.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:11 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose connection somewhere would do it.

Could be a loose connection in the RX.  or the TX.  or the antenna to the RX.  or.................

Send the RX and TX to be checked.  Explain the intermittent loss of signal. 

If the model was just sitting there and it regained signal, there is a very slight suggestion that the thing being moved (the TX) might have a loose connection, but anything is just a guess.  Don't guess, have someone with decent test equipment check it out.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
ScottMcM

I spoke with him a little while ago. He gonig to send it all in, and have it checked.