Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS 46LA quitting

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS 46LA quitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM
matoran629

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46LA quitting

Hey guys. I have a Top-Flite Elder 40, and I was flying this morning when my engine quit. I deadsticked back down onto the runway, and brought it in and checked for the problem. I couldn't find any. So I took it up again, with a full tank of fuel, and flew for about 3 minutes before it quit again. I barely made it down to the runway. I really would like some help with the matter, because I really wouldn't enjoy destroying this beautiful plane. Please give any reccomendations you think necessary

matoran629
Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
redfox435cat

Default RE: OS 46LA quitting

sounds like it's time to tear down the motor, clean it and put it bak together. I seem to have to do this about every 2-3 gallons of fuel. At least pull the carb , clean it out and put it back on. I suggest putting a dab of red rtv were the carb and crancase come together, as well as the motor backplate since the la's use plastic backplates. A little around the muffler attach point doesn't hurt either. Cheack the fuel tank and fuel line for pin ho;e leaks as well.

What usually happens is some junk or sand ends up in the airbleed port throwing off the mixture
Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

How old is the engine?

I have been working with a couple of guys with the same engine. I have found that a tachometer really helps for tuning with this engine - one click seems to make a substantial difference (with the tach, not necessarily by ear) in tuning  the high end, and we have  been tuning the mixture (air bleed) by setting throttle to idle and watching RPM on a tachometer. Make sure when you drop to idle (2300rpm or so) it stays there for 10-15 seconds. If the RPM decreases over 15 seconds the mixture is rich and needs to be leaned out (counter clockwise); if the RPM increases it is lean and needs to be richer (clockwise).
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
jetmech05

sounds like the high end is too lean......
Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
matoran629

I have the mix adjusted right, and the engine has had only   7-8 flights on it. Maybe I should inspect the engine?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Don41

Just a thought. The timing for the problem to appear is off but have you inspected the fuel line connections? A bad exhaust connection?Is the third line (if you have one)leaking a little?

Don
ORIGINAL: matoran629

Hey guys. I have a Top-Flite Elder 40, and I was flying this morning when my engine quit. I deadsticked back down onto the runway, and brought it in and checked for the problem. I couldn't find any. So I took it up again, with a full tank of fuel, and flew for about 3 minutes before it quit again. I barely made it down to the runway. I really would like some help with the matter, because I really wouldn't enjoy destroying this beautiful plane. Please give any reccomendations you think necessary

matoran629
Old 06-22-2009, 01:24 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the mix adjusted right, and the engine has had only 7-8 flights on it. Maybe I should inspect the engine?

So there is a good probability the engine isn't completely broken in and that the low-speed needle hasn't been tuned.

You don't say if the engine was running flat out when it quit, or that it might have been idling along when you gave the throttle a push. What you were doing with the throttle at the time of a shutdown matters. Also, how well broken in the engine is has an effect.

If the low-speed is either too rich or too lean there's a fair chance for sudden shutdowns. The airbleed carbs are sensitive to that.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
jetmech05

I think your trying to tune the engine to max when it still needs a bit of break in.....tune to max on the high end and richen a 1/3 of a turn....until you have about 15 flights on her...inspect the fuel lines......and look for air bubbles in the fuel line to the carb...good luck
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Lnewqban

I have the mix adjusted right, and the engine has had only 7-8 flights on it. Maybe I should inspect the engine?
I see no needs of opening such a new engine, at least not until simple things get checked.

I don’t know about your experience with engines, but there is all good advice above.

Re-tight the crankcase and head bolts.

Fill the tank just a little, and test it ON THE GROUND, in different positions and throttle settings.

Check the glow plug for little particles of metal, and try a new one, just in case.

Do not allow any bubble to appear in the fuel lines.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
matoran629

All right guys. I got my engine fixed by adjusting the idle needle, but the guy I bought the plane from had well broken in this engine. The fuel-air mixture was VERY lean, my brother was messing with the plane. Thanks