Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

The first three wives didn't deal with it well at all, strange girls, but my wife now of 14 years does ok with it.

Bob
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
shootnstarz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this thread I have to brag on my sweet wife. After a quick marriage and divorce to the devil's sister when I was nineteen, I went 27 years single. Once I met Thresa I dated her for two years before went got hitched, wanted to be sure.

She is the most selfless person I've ever met. Her hobby is doing for others and taking care of me. She likes my hobbies because they make me happy. Not only does she tolerate R/Cing, she puts up with my shooting, HO trains and astronomy hobbies. Tomorrow is our 8th anniversary and I'm going to a stargaze with her blessing. She doesn't care to join me in the hobbies, does her own thing and we meet back home.

Her stuff has been regulated to the master bedroom, kitchen and one spare closet. The other two bedrooms, the den and garage are all filled up with my crap. She NEVER EVER complains about anything. I go shooting, flying and stargazing at my leisure and never a word of discontent. I am only obligated (actually a pleasure) to go to her parents house for special events and holidays.

I am truly blessed to have met and married a Saint. I guess this was my reward for holding out so long and waiting to be 100% sure before I committed to another marriage.

Full scale pilot and author Gordon Baxter once answered a man's question about his wife not approving of his flying, Gordon replied "My first wife didn't either".

Rick
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM
BamaFlyBoy

I am one of the fortunate. While neither of the first two wives cared one way or the other about R/C, the current gf (soon to be wife 3), is actually the one that got me back into the hobby after an 18 years away from R/C. She bought me a Cub kit in February for my birthday this year. I followed that up with a Nextar for her birthday two months later. She goes with me to the field every weekend. We still use the buddy box when she flies her Nextar, but her skills are improving and I expect she will solo soon.

It's nice to have a hobby that we can enjoy together. I'm very lucky!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Do enjoy hearing great stories like the last couple posts! Been married three times and just got worse, my first wife and my devorce was all my fault I do have to take the full blame, I could not stand her boyfriend! My second is the one that bought me my first airplane but then always treatening to break it, and yes she is the one in earlier post threw a perked on the stove boiling pot of coffee on me because I did not hear her say something, knowing I am completely deaf in the right ear! I ended up raising my daughters four of them and when I met what I thought was a very nice lady and she was good to me and thought she was to my girls, Till one of them told me diffrent and I did not go where I said I was and snuck back and caught her slapping my second oldest in the face and we left that day! She was the only one that did not say anything negetive about my hobby, but I really did not do much with it then! So forward some years raised my girls by myself and as they got much older and started getting married and leaving I met a nice lady again I thought! She and I broke up monday we were together for over six years, I was restoring a 73 Pinto on her property and had a mustang for the motor swap and my boat at her property because the way my house and propery is I only have a driveway to park. Well she told me I had to get the cars and boat off there and last evening I watch the junk yard pull my almost restored 73 pinto and the Mustang to the junk yard the boat is home! I know why did I not sell them? Because she did not give me any time is why! Anyway I will be flying more, Got time to restore got time to build! Each time I spoiled these woman and each time I got burned some with hot coffee! I am truely done focused on the hobby and teaching my grand children to fly, love those Grand children!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM
richardgerardi

My wife does not know about it. Just kidding, she actually helps me build and measure because I stink at math. We actually built my first trainer 25 years ago which I still have. I just got into it again after 20 years and flew that 20 size midwest aerostar last year when I actually soloed.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is very supportive and helps me figure it out finacially. I am unemployed so we are watching our pennies and nickels very closely but even at that she never complains when i spend some money. She helps out at club functions too. What more could a fellow ask for.... ?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

hairy.. I do wish you well in whatever way you end up. It sounds like you've had a tough go of things.. but I really admire that you stick with your kids...and it sounds like you're fortunate yourself in alot of ways... I mean.. you could still be under a womans thumb and not be enjoying such a great hobby we have. It is tough to be in a relationship and not be able to enjoy anything.

In my first marriage, I was still fortunately able to enjoy the hobby somewhat(nothing like now, but..) I wasn't ever able to enjoy being with my spouse, as for whatever reason she was so emotionally unavailable.. all I had was my planes.. but she was actually doing me a favor by letting me get very good at the craft, because when we ended it.. I went straight into my hobby.. spent time at my club field..took my daughter flying.. spent more time with her.... got with old friends... made new ones.. did things that couldn't have ever happened when we were together...

I found out where "I" want my boundaries.. not where someone else would let me go. I've carried that into my relationship now.. and my wife and I have a very admirable and mutual respect... which works very well.. I love her to no end.. but shes an adult so I don't make her decisions.. and likewise.. and we know when we have to make decisions together which is very important.. She's got to trust that I won't go out flying when there's other higher priority obligaitons.. and I've got to trust that shes going to let me make my own priorities.. and we both know flying is way up there.. but there are a few higher... not many.. but a few... same goes for her sewing and projects.. these things are in a way.. our sanity
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you! I am going to focus more on me for a change and enjoy the gift of life that I was given! I have lived for others so long that I have neglected myself most the time, letting others dictate my life and being the master of it! The kids was and still are my top priority's well second to the grand kids now! But am looking forward to what I have to give to them while I am still here to teach them! But looking forward to my now freed up time to do with as I please instead of spending most of my free time fixing things for someone that did not show respect to me for it! I got a call a little while ago to see if I could flush her radiator in her van to get it ready for winter and said sorry I am spending time with an old friend that still some how respects me! And with that went back to work on my 60 sized Bird-dog! Bob