Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RX battery cell size?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RX battery cell size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
tryan02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX battery cell size?

I have purchased a seagull extra 260 180 gonna put a g26 zenoah on it for just a good sport flyer. It will have 6 HS485HB's and the RX I have 2 2300mah nimh AA cell packs twice the capacity of the recommended 1100mah I want to use.

So the big question is when do you switch to the c cell packs?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RX battery cell size?

good question... can anyone answer that for me too? What is the difference between a AA, A, C, etc assuming same mah and volts at 1.2 each. Personally.. I have gone with the smaller sizes due to less weight and essier to fit in 40-60 size planes since they have the same capacity and have not had any problems.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM
redfox435cat

most the gaser guys around here with large aircraft get these[link=http://www.desertaircraft.com/page.php?Page=EmcotecDPSI]Desert aircraft[/link] and run lipo batteries.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM
tryan02

I run a 2100mah 3S lipo on a castle creations 10 BEC (battery eliminator circuit) I have it programmed for 6V cause the lipo is 11.1 in my Raptor 30 heli. But I am going backwards in technology I just want to tie down and forget about it and plug it in through the charge jack overnight and go fly no removing or anything to balance charge a lipo.

Not to mention like I said I have two 2300mah 6v pack gathering dust if they are too small I will parallel them they will still be 6V 2300mah parallel but will give twice the discharge capabilities which is what the bigger cells do for you.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Bigger cells can supply more current. If you're dropping voltage when testing with flight loads, then you need either bigger cells or to switch to a lithium technology battery.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM
jetmech05

Just remember voltage is the issue....you can have a 10,000mAh battery with no problems as long as the voltage is un regulated 4.8 or 6 volt.....go with a 600mAh battery at 11 volts and your gonna see the magic smoke......unless of course you run a voltage regulator.....
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started using Sub-C for my giant scale bipes some years ago for added weight in the nose and discovered how much more flight time I was getting with them. Today I run them in all my big planes. I use the 6 volt 4500mah packs. I would be running the Lipo but due to cost and the need for different chargers I haven't gone over to them yet.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
tryan02

Thanks Gray beard anyone draw the line when to use the biggger cells? I understand electronics fairly well due to my job I was just curious if anyone had any real data of the voltage drop on a pack with a servo load of six standard servos non digital vs nimh pack sizing. I have searched the internet as best I can and nowhere have I found data that strictly says use this size pack for these size and number of servos. I am getting somewhat frustrated not being able to find at what exact point do you move to the bigger cells. []

I am looking for something like this surely a battery, servo or kit manufacturer one would have this kind of data or are they all expecting us to use the little 600mah packs that come with our radios.

Only an example not true!

3 microservos 2amp max load 700mah AAcell or larger
4 microservos 3amp max load 1000mah AAcell or larger
3 standard servos 3.5 amp max load 1100mah AAcell or larger
5 standard servos 4 amp max load 1600mah AAcell or larger
6 standard servos 5 amp max load 1600mah AAcell or larger