Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

gyro on a plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

gyro on a plane

Old 07-18-2009, 02:51 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gyro on a plane

just got a 401 gyro from a guy, (free), what would happen if it was put on a plane and where would it go rudder ? maybe......and if so what would it do as to flying the plane
Old 07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: gyro on a plane

Sell it to a helicopter pal, they average 90 bucks used. You can use them on a rudder, and there's a couple of good threads on here but unless you need it (scale plane thats hard to take off) or something, then its just unneeded complication
Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rudder.A gyro will help on a twin or conventional gear design and even a heavy warbird type as it will help to slow any snap roll or ground looping.not really needed on a sport or trainer type plane
Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used one on a Fleet Bipe on rudder with very bad ground handling problems, it was fine for take off but tended to fight for control in the air. Ended up putting it into ch 5 so it could be turned off after take off. Don't bother with one unless you really need it, I just got used to the plane and made my life easier.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM
tryan02

Some use it on the ailerons for flying in heavy winds to keep the plane level kind of a self righting thing. Oh and they are going for $75shipped on the heli websites. But if you dont know how to set one up properly it will do more damage to you than good. I use the cheaper futaba gy240's on my heli's they are simpler but I can see little advantage of using one on a plane the tail on a plane doesn't have any huge counter rotation forces to deal with like the other guy said you are better off just learning to fly the plane or maybe feed in some expo or half rates depending on the problem.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

edited
Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
BarracudaHockey

If you find a 401 for 75 bucks shipped buy it.

Also for ailerons they do not "self right" anything, they dampen movement, thats it. If you want to "self right" you need an autopilot.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
tryan02

OK Barracuda maybe self righting was the wrong terminology it will help hold a position and dumb down the sensitivity relative to how much gain is set on the device. Better?

As for the gyro cost here is a link http://www.runryder.com/search.htm?d...ortby=lastpost But be quick they are sold all the time for $75 one went for seventy.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 AM
BarracudaHockey

Sorry I thought you were talking about new. Yea I suppose since the 520 has come out the price of the used 401's has come down.