Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Removing Robart point hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Removing Robart point hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Robart point hinges

Anyone got a method for removing Robart hinges? I had one break when my TF Corsair when in hard after a deadstick (see crash forum to read more[]).

I was thinking of trying to use a piece of heated wire to melt the start of a hole down the axis of the hinge and then carefully drill out using the pilot hole created but would appreciate hearing other ideas.

If all else fails I can install new hinges next to the old ones, but would prefer to avoid if possible.

Terry
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Removing Robart point hinges

I think cutting them off flush on both ends would be easiest, and install new ones next to them....I think you run the risk of causing more damage by trying to remove them
Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Krener

Hey Terry.
Drilling them sounds ok but the issue is removing the glue that was holding it in place.
You need some raw wood around the hinge barb for your glue to bite into, unless you drill it out and make a LARGER hole (not advisable)

Cut it flush & make a new one next to it providing you have enough wood to drill into. If not open up the surface & put some hinge blocks in.

Any idea why she dead sticked in the first place??
Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This works very good, get a 3/16 ID brass tude and sharpen one end, on the other end slide a dowl about one inch inside, leave some of the dowl hanging out so you can remove it to get the hinges out that get stuck inside as you remove them.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13807.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1242497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58623.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1242498  
Old 07-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

This works very good, get a 3/16 ID brass tude and sharpen one end, on the other end slide a dowl about one inch inside, leave some of the dowl hanging out so you can remove it to get the hinges out that get stuck inside as you remove them.

Bob
Now that is one great idea!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Redback

Yep, I like it too - will give it a go for sure, can always default to new hinges if I dont like the results.

Hi Sean,

Haven't got into any cause analysis yet. Motor was out of my previous Corsair, had enough run time but was not old either and had always been faultless. Tank and plumbing were all new also. Before it cut the motor hesitated then picked up enough that I thought I might get round for a landing, but it cut on the downwind leg and I had to bring it back from over the trees. Will definitely need to give it a good going over before flying again.

Once I get the stab back on may put to one side for a while and finish the Ultra Sport.

Terry
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Bob
Now that is one great idea!!!!!!!!
I got to second that great idea.

I just finished removing hinge points from the flaps on my TF P-40 refurb project I am doing,check the kit building section for the P-40 build thread, I fed a small drill bit down the center point of the hinge after cutting the pivot point off, then fed a 1/8 drill bit down that pilot hole.

the hole it leaves behind works perfect for installing the replacement hinge, with little dammage to the surounding area, the glue did a good job of holding the surrounding area together.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Krener

ORIGINAL: Redback

Yep, I like it too - will give it a go for sure, can always default to new hinges if I dont like the results.

Hi Sean,

Haven't got into any cause analysis yet. Motor was out of my previous Corsair, had enough run time but was not old either and had always been faultless. Tank and plumbing were all new also. Before it cut the motor hesitated then picked up enough that I thought I might get round for a landing, but it cut on the downwind leg and I had to bring it back from over the trees. Will definitely need to give it a good going over before flying again.

Once I get the stab back on may put to one side for a while and finish the Ultra Sport.

Terry
Yeah, the Ultrasport would be nice.
Gonna get another one soon.

Love the idea of the brass tube!!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bob
I didn't have time to finish the post last night, so here it is.

After I remove all the hinges, I take 1/4" X 1/4" balsa sticks cut about 1.0" long and place them in a bowl of water, next I use a Q tip and Gorilla glue and swab the inside of the holes, about 5 or six at a time, and slide the dampended sticks into them; the moisture will cause the Gorilla glut to foam, When all are finished; I allow to sit overnight, then block sand everything flush and re-drill right down the centers of the end grain balsa. This makes for a very tough hardpoint for the installation of new hinges. Hers are a couple more pictures, in a couple of them you can see the drill blocks that I made for drilling new and reinstall of hinges.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86603.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1242652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84356.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1242653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99390.jpg
Views:	36