Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Charging and cycling with regulator

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Charging and cycling with regulator

Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM
p38mike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging and cycling with regulator

Hi,

For the first time with my new KMP Bearcat I am going with a 6 volt system and a regulator that takes it down to 5.2 volts. The regulator just has two leads, one in and one out. I have this hooked up to a typical charging jack which reads 5.2 volts. Should I charge this as a 6 or 4.8 volt battery? Anything to worry about charging/discharging with a regulator in the middle? I tried to discharge with a 6 volt batter program and it just started charging.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
jimmyjames213

Default RE: Charging and cycling with regulator

what radio/servo's/ignition/ect are you useing? most of them will handle 6v so you shouldnt need a regulator
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have my battery plugged into the input lead on my switch, which also has a charge jack built in. The output goes into my regulator, which then goes to the receiver. This setup allows the charger to bypass the regulator when charging the battery.

You want to charge your battery as 6 volts and I don't believe you want to charge through the regulator.

Not sure why you have a regulator in the first place - I don't see much of a benefit (I have lipos which are a different story).
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM
p38mike

It is all standard radio gear: Futaba, S9202s, S3010s, S3001 and FPR-148DP PCM receiver. I also have electric worm gear retracts (ADO/Sierra). I guess the reason is if a cell goes bad I would still have 5.2 volts. I also understand that 6 volts wears out the servos faster. So I should just skip the regulator and run straight 6 volts?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Your reason is flawed. If you have a cell go bad, you're pack will drop to 4.8V at best. A regulator can't increase the voltage. Think regulator on a air tank. If the main tank has 50psi, but you set the regulator on your air hose to 100psi, you'll still only get 50 psi out. If your gear will run at the native voltage for your battery, don't run a regulator. It is just one more single point of failure. As for servo's wearing out, we're splitting hairs at 5.2V vs. 6V. I put up hundreds of flights a year on the same plane, 6V non regulated packs, high stress conditions, I've never actually wore a servo out. Some of my servos have over 1000 flights on them. Maybe a gear set, but that is it.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

I agree if your going to charge your battery I would either disconnect the regulator or remove the battery and charge outside the plane.
I prefer to charge my batteries outside the plane either way.