Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Circle Cutters for MonoKote/UltraKote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Circle Cutters for MonoKote/UltraKote

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circle Cutters for MonoKote/UltraKote

I want to cut some Roundels for a Warbird, has anyone used or what recommendations for a decent Circle Cutting Tool that works on MonoKote/UltraKote or other Heat Shrink Covering; I was looking at one made by 'Fiskars' pictured below.

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
aglaser

Default RE: Circle Cutters for MonoKote/UltraKote

Ive used an xacto knife in a compass before. Worked great for me!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Yes I thought of that, and tried it as well, the problem was that it leaves a hole in the center; not very big, but a hole all the same; I may go this route and save the expense of buying a fancy Circle cutting device; I was hoping to hear from others as to what they use, to give me some ideas, that's the beauty of RCU, you get some great ideas and feedback.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I use a LARGE compass I got from MicroMark with an x-acto blade. Workes fine for me.
As to the hole in the center here is what I did to fix that. Taped a small square of thin
ply to the monokote for the compass point. Puts the hole in the ply - not the monokote.

My .05 on this.

Dan
Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
aglaser

BRILLIANT!! You learn something new everyday! I always just ironed on a tiny patch of scrap covering over the little hole I had made.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Cutting a template out of some heavy cardboard or thin ply and tracing it with your Xacto knife is the method I have always used
Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
carrellh

The Hobbico Circle Cutter http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0230.html costs about 6 bucks. You still have the 'hole' to deal with but the suggestion of taping a piece of thin plywood in the center is a really good solution.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 AM
mclina

I have always just traced circles and then cut them out with scissors. This was with the peel and stick trim sheets, though, and not regular film.

And, yes, I probably spent more time decorating this plane than I ever spent flying it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65959.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	737.6 KB
ID:	1266962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36988.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	720.4 KB
ID:	1266963  
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I have always cut around coins, fender washers, spray cans, coffee cans... If I used a wood template I would end up cutting into it.

Name:	Ge94877.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1266996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91739.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	1266997  
Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what ironing "techniques" did you guys use to achieve a bubble-less application? I use Ultracote. How about Monokote over Ultracote? Ultracote over Monokote? Enquiring minds (usually get me in trouble) ...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
mclina

For Monokote over anything I use Windex. Just spray it on the surface, apply the Monokote to the wet surface, and smooth out all the bubbles. Let it dry overnight, and it's usually pretty solid. A little clear nail polish on the edges can help as well.

If you use a generic window cleaner, make sure it has ammonia in it. I once tried this method with "Glass Plus", and all my decals fell off the next day. The Monokote adhesive is activated by ammonia.

I've never trimmed with Ultracote. I prefer it for covering, but I always use Mono for any multi-layer designs, just because it can be applied with the Windex.

The plane I posted above was just self-adhesive Monokote trim sheets, so this didn't apply in that case.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
SeamusG

If your name was Cliff I would call you Cliff. [:@]

ORIGINAL: mclina

For Monokote over anything I useWindex. Just spray it on the surface, apply the Monokote to the wetsurface, and smooth out all the bubbles. Let it dry overnight, and it'susually pretty solid. A little clear nail polish on the edges can helpas well.

If you use a generic window cleaner, make sure it hasammonia in it. I once tried this method with "Glass Plus", and all mydecals fell off the next day. The Monokote adhesive is activated byammonia.

I've never trimmed with Ultracote. I prefer it forcovering, but I always use Mono for any multi-layer designs, justbecause it can be applied with the Windex.
Do you fully shrink the Ultracote before you apply the trim? I've noticed that when Ultracote is initially applied with a fairly slow iron the surface has a marbled texture. After applying a fast iron or heat gun the surface attains a mirror-like surface. I've gotta guess that you apply the trim after shrinking.

tia for sharing your experiences!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM
bullseye000

Beware of using ammonia based window cleaner to attach monokote to monokote. You have to seal the edges or activate the glue with low heat. Ammonia has no effect on monokotes adhesive. I ruined a covering job just using Windex. Lost graphics in flight and had to start over with an oily airframe. I have stored scraps of monokote for 2 years in a jar of Windex on my bench and it has no effect on the adhesive what so ever.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used monokote extensively for trim, and I wouldn't consider an alternative to Windex.

Here's a tip for sealing the edges so that you'll never have to worry about the trim coming loose. No less than 24 hours after applying the MonoKote trim with Windex, apply a thin film of Top Flite Trim Solvent along the edge of the trim with a small paint brush. The Trim Solvent dries clear without any visible residue. I did this on my GP Super Skybolt six years - and many many flights and some rough treatment - and the trim never came loose. Forget about fingernail polish; it leaves an ugly residue and it won't last.

If you really want to make a dazzling livery scheme, use thin strips of MonoKote of a color that contrasts between the two colors. On my Skybolt, I used 1/8" wide Insignia Blue strips at the edge of the trim, creating a border between the red and the white.

Mike

Name:	Wu60667.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1273344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95584.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1273345  
Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mirwin

I've used monokote extensively for trim, and I wouldn't consider an alternative to Windex.

Here's a tip for sealing the edges so that you'll never have to worry about the trim coming loose. No less than 24 hours after applying the MonoKote trim with Windex, apply a thin film of Top Flite Trim Solvent along the edge of the trim with a small paint brush. The Trim Solvent dries clear without any visible residue. I did this on my GP Super Skybolt six years - and many many flights and some rough treatment - and the trim never came loose. Forget about fingernail polish; it leaves an ugly residue and it won't last.

If you really want to make a dazzling livery scheme, use thin strips of MonoKote of a color that contrasts between the two colors. On my Skybolt, I used 1/8'' wide Insignia Blue strips at the edge of the trim, creating a border between the red and the white.

Mike

I forgot one other thing: paint those props! After balancing the prop, I use Rustoleum gray primer, fine steel wool to smooth it out, and then Rustoleum spray cans. Put a little glob of extra paint at the prop tip to rebalance if necessary after painting. use the same thin strips of contrasting colors between the colors that you apply to your prop.

Mike

Name:	Qo39564.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1273348  
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
SeamusG

mirwin - nice detail. I'm still at the stage that focuses on function. Tryin' to get it right so that it'll fly well. Initially I focused on form before I had a clue about function. You obviously have both. Thanks for sharing.