Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

great planes extra 300 .40 size question (pre-build)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

great planes extra 300 .40 size question (pre-build)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default great planes extra 300 .40 size question (pre-build)

Hello,

I was wondering what some of your opinions are on the great planes extra 300. .40 size. Tips on building and/or flying appreciated. I have decided I need to build an airplane from a kit for the first time some I can fully appreciate the hobby. I have read fomer posts about this airplane, but mostly just about the building portion of the airplane. I have owned the phoenix extra and it was okay, but you can tell it was a cheap airplane. The first thing I can already tell about this airplane is that I will be installing seperate aileron servos instead of just 1 in the center section. I appreciate your comments. Thanks

Shannon
Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
jay2000dakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: great planes extra 300 .40 size question (pre-build)

I built the Gordberg 60 size and it files like a dream. Do your best to keep it as lite as possible, run dual elevator servos if possible and cable pull-pull rudder . Put the biggest motor you can on the front, Id say a 60 to 80 4 stroke. its better to have too much power then not enough. My extra has I Saito 150s on it and I rearly fly over 3/4 throttle
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: jay2000dakota

I built the Gordberg 60 size and it files like a dream. Do your best to keep it as lite as possible, run dual elevator servos if possible and cable pull-pull rudder . Put the biggest motor you can on the front, Id say a 60 to 80 4 stroke. its better to have too much power then not enough. My extra has I Saito 150s on it and I rearly fly over 3/4 throttle
Wait...immm...hold on! You're telling us you have a saito 150 on a .40 size extra? Are you serious!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I've built 2 of the .40 size GP's Extra's. Still have one after many years of enjoyment. The build is as straightforward as you can get.. barring any mods you make. The only mods I made was about an inch more elev.. and about 1 1/2"'s on the rudd.. Also.. as I built the second Extra.. I installed hard-points into my hor/vert stabs, to incorporate a "flying wire" system... as the first Extra was lost due to flutter of the hor.stab.

Now... I believe the reason for the flutter was my engine of choice.. which was a Magnum .91 4-stroke.. a very fresh/new one.. and I neglected to install anything on the rear stabs on the first one.. also I don't think extending the surfaces helped either..... hence the flutter.. turned it into a lawn-dart.

Better news on the second Extra though.... built identically as the first one.. using same engine..with the flying wires securely installed and attached.. that plane is still with me today.. and its been 8yrs, and literally hundreds of flights since.. and its still great.

The plane tracks very well.. IMO its a much better pattern plane then 3D.. and it will perform any scale aerobatic manuever you can muster.. spins are nice, although I'd like them a bit flatter.. it lands very nicely, not a floater, but just a good "flyer inner" you might say.. and the .91 has more power then it needs... but I couldn't imagine it with less either.. as you can literally take off vertically and keep on to the moon if you want.

I would say the most important mod I did was the flying wires though.. oh.. I do remember the LG popped off, and I retroed some structure in that area... oh too.... I remember one day I actually crashed it out in the field after getting crossed up in a manuever(this was a long time ago).. it came down from a hundred feet or so with some damage, but I was very surprised to see how sturdy they really are.... all in all.. I'd recomend these to anyone interested with the above items noted. Have Fun!

PS... it is the plane pictured in my avatar.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go into the kit building forum there is a GP 40 build going on right now. And Jay said he had that engine in the Goldburg 60 size Extra, not the GP 40 size. I have the YS 1.20NC in mine {CG} and I built one with the YS 1.40. Nothing odd about these engine choices at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54801.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1281414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55804.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1281415  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:52 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

I built a GP 300 and threw in a ST 51. Flies very well! Additionally, I modified the center section of the wing belly pan to accomodate two nylon screws rather than just the one that the plans called for. I wasn't too crazy about only having one.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I am planning on doing the two bolts for the wing center section as I am uncomfortable with 1. I am wanting to use 2 aileron servos out on the respective wing. And for power, I have a super tigre .45 2 stroke that I love. I know most of you have recommended more power, but I am wanting to keep it cheap for now as my wife would not like me to spend more money than I have too. I can always upgrade I guess. Your extra's look sweet by the way. That is why I am excited to do my own. I will have my own scheme. I'll post pics in the future. Thanks guys!