Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Who builds high quality ARFs

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Who builds high quality ARFs

Old 10-11-2009, 02:53 PM
MAX MERC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who builds high quality ARFs

Ones that are well built and don't fall apart on the way to the field.... Ones that have hard mount points or even threaded inserts...Please advise[&o]
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who builds high quality ARFs

-Great Planes/Top-Flite
-Hangar-9
-World Models
-Aeroworks
-World Models
-Sig
-OMP
-Extreme Flight
-Many others

Even some of the "no name", low-cost ARF's are built very well but you'll have to give up a a little in hardware, instructions and support.

What types of airplanes are you looking for?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 PM
airbusdrvr

Hangar 9 and Top Flite. SIG DOES NOT. I just had to completely reglue and recover a SIG Four Star 120! It would have fallen apart on the first flight or two if it had not been repaired.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
AH1G

GP would not be on my list. I had to recover the wings and tail; the fiberglass fusalage structure was weak and the seaming stripped off when lifted with a finger nail.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Hangar 9 and Top Flite. SIG DOES NOT. I just had to completely reglue and recover a SIG Four Star 120! It would have fallen apart on the first flight or two if it had not been repaired.
Probably depends on what day and who built it. My Four Star 120 has held up well. What was aggravating however was finding out that the plane is covered in material meant for small light weight airplanes. I never met an ARF that didn't have covering issues of some sort.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Archie League

I just built an Aeroworks Edge540 46/61 size. I was blown away by the quality. I understand their larger models are also great.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Archie League

I just built an Aeroworks Edge540 46/61 size. I was blown away by the quality. I understand their larger models are also great.
I haven't tried assembling any of the small AWs but there big planes are pretty good. The other good one is Wild Hare. GP is pretty good and H9 so far has been a bit better. There are still things that need doing on any of the ARFs no mater who makes them. You can usually tell the better ones just by the price, but not always!! My own planes are built either from plans, scratch or kits and they have never had a issue with falling apart. If you want a good one then either learn to build or have someone build for you, it's cheaper in the long run. I assemble ARFs for people and make the changes but they still aren't as strong as a good kit build.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
There are still things that need doing on any of the ARFs no mater who makes them.
Very true. There are obvious quality issues with some stuff such as holes that don't line up, poor materials and other things. Ultimately though, the quality of any ARF comes down to how it is assembled. If a firewall looks weak, strengthen it. If a piece of hardware just seems cheesy, replace it. I've seen some lousy assembly jobs and planes losses that could have been easily prevented.

ARF quality does just seem to keep getting better though. I assembled a GP Cap-580 not too long ago. The firewall was pinned with dowels right out of the box, it had sheeted foam-core wings and excellent hardware. Every joint was well-glued and each piece fit together perfectly with all the screw holes lining up just like they should. I didn't have to change or fix a thing. The only thing not exactly perfect is the covering but it is still pretty good.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

I had major issue with the SeaGull stuff. First flight on my extra 300, the wing bolt block broke loose in flight and had it not been for a doubler on the wing saddle, it was a crash in the making. My son has a Great Planes Matt Chapman Splat ARF that has been clocked on a speed gun at 103 MPH and he has not had any issues with it at all and he fly's the wings off the plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been building and flying since 1953. The first ARF I tried was a Lanier in 1976. It had heavy foam wings, a fragile plastic body, and flew poorly. Then around 1990 I tried two Eazy ARFs. The Telestar 40 pattern plane and a Piper Cherokee. They had built up wings and fusalage. The fusalage was covered with foam sheet with a printed plastic surface. The were both good flying planes but the fusalages were difficult to repair. Then a couple of years ago I tried the new generation of ARFs and have been generally very impressed with them. They provide an easy to assemble plane that is good looking, good flying, and easy to repair. In the last 2 years I have assembled the following ARF's:

Hobbico NextStar
MegaTech Capitol Flyer
H9 Pulse XT 60
GP Piper Cherokee
BH Trojan T28
GP Escapade
H9 Piper Pawnee
GP RV-4
Sig Kadet Senior

The NextStar was my least favorite of the bunch. The problem was in its flying. It was sensitive to wind, floated on landing, and would swing right immediately upon leaving the ground. It is the only one I have crashed when I put it into the trees on a cross wind landing approach.

The MegaTech was a surprise. MegaTech products do not have a good reputation. The Capitol Flyer can be assembled very quickly and when built with the wing dihedral option is an average 40 trainer. But it can also be built with the no dihedral option and with its semisymetrical wing is a great rugged sport plane. The one problem with it is the shelf paper covering. I had to replace the wing covering after 11 flights. The covering on the fusalage is holding up (35 flights).

The Pulse XT 60, Piper Pawnee, and Piper Cherokee are just great overall airplanes. No problems assembling or flying.

The Escapade is my favorite plane of the bunch. It is inexpensive ($99), specially with the $47 dollar Magnum .46 XLS motor on sale from Hobby People. I did have to glue in the connector rod for the elevator halves and fix one of the wing hold down tabs but otherwise it went together very well. I love flying that plane and the landings are great.

The Trojan T28 is a good kit but I had a little trouble aligning the tail. In the end it came out well and flies fine.

The Kadet Senior was a fun build and is a great flying plane. Some people complain about the covering, but I like it. Where it will "dent" when being punched, other coverings rip. All it takes is a quick pass with the heat gun and the "dent" is gone. I did replace the nose gear with a Fultz nose gear for more strength.

The RV-4 I just finished yesterday. It was the nicest building plane of the bunch and I am looking forward to maidening it when the rain stops here in Atlanta.

With all of the ARF's I fuel proof the fire wall and fuel sections. I am glad I did this with the Escapade because I forgot to tighten the screw on the fuel tank bung and after the maiden landing I found fuel dripping out of the wing saddle. Also, depending on the plane I will reinforce the firewall and landing gear attachment points. To date I have never had a landing gear or firewall problem on these planes.

Overall, I think the ARFs are generally high quality and getting better. Most people end up with a better plane than they could produce by building from a kit. I still build from kits but those are winter projects.

Bruce

Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
eagledancer

i didnt know there was a high quality arf!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: eagledancer

i didnt know there was a high quality arf!
Think of it more in relative terms; quality vs. other ARF's

Some of them really are getting good though.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Gray Beard

Some are better then others but one thing you don't seem to see a lot of is an old ARF. About the second season of hard flying and they are really showing the signs of wear and old age. An air frame needs some wood and ARFs are all a bit light in that area. One of the guys I fly with does have a H-9 stick he has been flying for almost two years and it's looking good as new? I figure it flys hard about 12 times a week, maybe more? He is also running a gasser in it, the CRRC 26cc. Maybe H-9 has it figured out with that plane? As Chuck mentioned, hardware. Some of the hardware has gotten a lot better. When I mentioned the Wild Hare ARF as being one of the better ones I didn't even think about the hardware. The plane comes without any. They give you the choice of using your own or buying there hardware package. There package is all Dubro as I recall, the price was either $50. or $75. bucks so I always thought it was a bit over priced?? Good stuff but I thought I could find the same items cheaper?? The one I assembled had the hardware package so I'm not sure about that?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Mode One

It's likely the ones most agree on are good, someone will always have had a lemon from. I've had great luck with Hanger 9, Seagull, Great Planes and SIG. My Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster was not very well designed.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 PM
bhady

My experience with ARF's has been with Sig (LT40), Great Planes (Easy Sport) and Tower (KAOS 40) I have had no prolbems, though here in the forums it seems other have. My experience has been excellent, maybe I've just been lucky? (or they got an acccasional lemon).

bhady
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Gray Beard

Seems the ARF trainers are for the most part OK, not great but the prices are right. I haven't assembled the Easy Sport so don't know anything about it. The Kaos was designed by Joe Bridi and was a tower kit for a long time. I assembled one of the first ARFs when they came out and found it very well built. A lot of that was the original design too, not even being made in china could hurt that. Not as strong as a kit built but still a tough little nut. Great flying little plane too!!! Hard to ever go wrong with a Kaos!! Guess it shows, I really like all of the Kaos line and sizes!! Even in a ARF!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Insanemoondoggie

For the price , ARFs are hard to beat. I can not build a kit as cheap as a new ARF of the same plane. After having several ARFs , I,ve found , that no matter who makes it, it well need some kind of repair/reinforcement to make it air worthy. But forwhat they cost and the people that build them , one should expect to find a few weak spots
Bought a new Bass boat last winter and a snowmobile, so I ended up flying a lot of ARFs this year ,as my building came to a stop . I spent more time fixing problems with the ARF,s than flying . Like Greybeard pointed out , a ARF tends to wear out fast . Kit builts seem to last a very long time and fly better but can take a long time to build.

Greatplanes ,Sig ,Hobbico, Hanger 9 and E-Flight have been pretty good . SeaGull hit and miss . The Tower Trainer .40 is a good plane at a great price. The decals are,nt the greatest but for 79 bucks , what tha heck ?lol
Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

It all depends on the model more than a brand. I've had one bad Seagull ARF, and I bought a different Seagull ARF ( Different Plane ) and it was one of the best builds I've ever had. Everything was well glued, the trim was even, the cowl was a perfect fit and the ARF went together very nice.

Same thing with Hanger 9, I've bought one Piper Cub .40 that was real bad, glue was poor, covering was wrinkled and didn't have much overlap in the covering etc. but I bought another and it was perfect.

Great Planes, I bought the Gee Bee and what a nightmare, I had to recover my elevator and ailerons, the belly pan didn't fit and the paint kept chiping off the fuse. Now I know if I bought another one it would most likely be better, who knows.

I used to be the first one to blame one plane and say the whole company sucks. I don't do that anymore because I know if you get a " Fridays Model " the quality will be different than a "Mondays Model."

Also everyone has a different build level, what might be a pleasent build for one might not be a pleasent build for another.

I've seen good Sig and bad, I've seen bad Hanger 9 and good, and I've seen good and bad for Goldberg which is now Great Planes.

To me I guess they are all good depending on you building skill level and how much money and time you are willing to spend to get your ARF looking good and flying right. JMHO and JMHE.

Hope I helped.

Pete
Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with the idea that it's very hard to say that company X builds good ARFs or bad ARFs. So much depends on which ARF it is. Best to do a lot of reading about any given model before purchasing it. So long as you know what you're getting into, you'll rarely be disappointed.

I'm taking a short break from building a World Models Fun World 3D. It's been great to work on so far! The manual is adequate, but that's largely because I'm experienced enough to sort things out on my own. All I really need is the CG location. One of the very best things about the Internet is that you can almost always look over a model's manual before you purchase it. You'll know what kind of effort will be required on your part along with an impression on the model and the hardware it comes with.

There isn't any perfect ARF. My Great Planes Super Skybolt is a good example. Almost everyone who has one raves about it. I've really enjoyed mine. Its got its fair share of problems, though. The bottom covering is cheap stuff that isn't Monokote and behaves poorly. The firewall is weak, weak, weakI had some time to think about that as I was wandering around looking for my engine a few weeks ago... but it's a really fun ARF.

In short, do your homework. No manufacturer is universally good. Take the time to download the manuals before purchasing.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM
hyflyer9

Try KMP See link
http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?osCsid=7...bc291e10a97785
Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
MAX MERC

[quote]ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

Try KMP See link
http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?osCsid=7...bc291e10a97785
[/quotThats the last one I built ,Not well designed. (kmp husky) I taxied the plane then noticed both struts had pulled loose and the cowl was broken. I would pay for top shelf but who builds it ????
Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I have two ARFs in my hanger - a Fliton Edge 540 Freestyle and a new Pilot RC 30% Yak 54.

From a quality standpoint, both planes are well constructed, although the Fliton took some reinforcing around the engine mount to handle a glow engine. In the long term I've been dissappointed with the covering. It looked great out of the box, but has proven somewhat fragile. The fiber glass landing gear are a real weak spot in this plane, and started delaminating after only a few flights. I love the plane - its very light, and flies extremely well.

The Pilot RC Yak hasn't flown yet, but putting it together has been impressive. Its built for a 50CC gasser. Every bolt hole lined up well, the structure of the engine box and landing gear are strong. The instructions left a lot to be desired, but new instructions were recently published and downloaded. This plane is also built light, with a lot of 1/8" lite-ply, but I'm very optimistic of the flight characteristics based on other reports.

Bottom line, if you're looking for quality ARFs, don't discount Fliton or Pilot RC. I purchased the Yak from Troy Built Models, and I think they have a pretty good line of quality ARFs.

Remember, you get what you pay for. You either pay someone else well, or you spend a lot of elbow grease.

Brad
Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 PM
chopper man

I just finished putting together a second TH Kaos. The first one was great. This one was definately put together on a late Friday afternoon. Hardware that didn't fit and on and on. Trying to finish up a VQ Dago Red. That wasn't much better. I've had the best luck with Top Flite and Great Planes.

chopper
Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Kange, My Kange Waco is one of the best flying Bipes I have ever flown and is very well put together. It came with quality hardware, ultracote covering, FG cowl and sturdy but lightweight constuction. Two seasons on it now with no problems.