Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RADIO!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 PM
side oiler
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIO!!??

Can someone explain (simple and quik) why I need a spektrum 2.4 radio like the JR 9303 etc... what are the benefits put simply.

I'm a beginer, be gental.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: RADIO!!??

side oiler,

Welcome to the hobby!

Nobody needs 2.4 Ghz radio equipment.
It is just new technology that is nice to have, like anything else.

Normal radio equipment, which has been used for decades, communicates in several frequencies or channels that need to be shared by pilots.
The reason for that is that two models cannot fly on the same channel at the same time, due to radio interference.
RC airfields have had a board where pilots post their channel flag or pin, so everyone knows what channel is in use.

Spread spectrum technology allows many pilots to control their models sharing the same radio band (2.4 GHz), having very little chance to suffer radio interference.

For more information, refer to "Frequencies and sub-channels" at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-c...er_of_channels

Best regards!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically you do not need such a radio however if you beleave you will continue in this hobby It's worthwhile getting one of the 2.4 type radios. If you need explanation of why do some research on them. The one you mention is a great radio but you don't need one that fancy to have the benefits of 2.4 ghz.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

There are less expensive 2.4 radios than the JR 9303; that is a competition grade radio. Airtronics has a pretty nice one for about $160 on sale right now. As stated, 2.4g is not needed.

The main advantage to 2.4g radios: people can't 'shoot you down' when they inadvertently turn on their radios. With the older style (FM), you have to make sure anyone flying is not on your channel. If you are on the same channel and turn your radio on, they lose control of the plane. With 2.4, you can turn your radio on and off in the pits all you want without fear of causing someone else to crash.

Advantages of the fancier radios over the less expensive radios: besides the number of things you can control (channels) you get better programming. You can link servos together to do certain function (called mixing), you get more versatility over the options, can store a greater amount of programmed planes, etc.

My advice, based on my own experience, is start with something very inexpensive or used. Find out if you like the hobby. If you do, spend what you can on the best radio you can get; it should last you the life of the hobby. I bought a 'better' beginner radio, only to quickly outgrow it. In haste, I bought a 'better' intermediate radio, only to get myself involved in competitive flying. I've been flying RC planes for 2 summers and am looking to buy my 3rd radio. This is not the case with most, but hopefully at least someone will learn from my mistake.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:20 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: side oiler

Can someone explain (simple and quik) why I need a spektrum 2.4 radio like the JR 9303 etc.

Why to keep up with the Joneses. If you are just learning to fly any good 4 channel 72MHz system will most likely work for you and save you a ton of money.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 AM
side oiler
My Feedback: (24)

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE ADVISE.

DAVE
Old 11-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Side Oiler,

If I were you and you plan on staying in the hobby, go with a 2.4 radio. I would highly recommend the Spektrum DX6i (6 channels obviously) which is plenty for anything below 35% sized planes. An amazing radio and it will resale for nearly the price you paid if you ever need more channels. If you plan on getting big into heli's I'd grab a DX7 for the extra channel.

GL with you decision!