Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

glow plug connectors

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

glow plug connectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 02:25 PM
frugalflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plug connectors

I am fitting an on board glow system to an OS twin. I need connectors to the plugs.
OS has ones for their 5 cyl radial but one has to buy the set of five. Another problem with these is that they will only fit the OS plugs and they project quite abit above the head making cowling difficult.
I need something that will fit down inside a 4 stroke head. Most home made and commercial ones will not fit inside the cooling fins of a four stroke. I know that there is at least one commercial lead available but I can't remmeber who makes it.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:18 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sullivan "Head Lock" is one, and I think Great Planes just introduced one as well (check Tower). The Sullivan is available in two lengths. There is another brand as well, but the name escapes me- maybe Sonic or something like that.

FP
Old 07-04-2003, 11:36 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

I erred, it isn't Great Planes, it was Du-Bro that just released

one:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD693&P=K

Also see Model Products brand.

FP
Old 07-05-2003, 01:07 PM
murphy
My Feedback: (19)

Grugal,
What I did on my CG Ultimate is take a wheel collar that just fits over the electrode of the glow plug, sand off some of the cheome covering of the collar opposite of the allen, and solder a wire onto it, just do the same for the other cylinder, bug them together, and go to your remote with that,,,,should work nicely,,

John
aka "Murphy"
Old 07-05-2003, 01:17 PM
frugalflyer

Thanks y'all. The headlock was the thing I was looking for.
Murphy - Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately while the wheel collar type work fine on 2 str they can't be used for 4str. The plug is recessed too far into the head to get to the allen screw.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:23 PM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

frugalflyer,

if you enjoy "tinkering" here's another approach to the connector problem. Use a medium size electrical wire nut. The gizmo that's used to make connections in household wiring. It's been a few years since I made one up so I'll try to get this right. If memory serves, the medium- size nut worked best. Break away the plastic covering, fit the wire winding onto the plug. It ought to snap on at the very end of the winding. Now, snip off the surplus winding and solder a lead to the tip of the "connector". Some plugs tips are more compatible than others with the spring winding, so a little experimenting is necessary. Like I said, if you enjoy tinkering it might work for you.

ddubya
Old 07-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Murphys method all the time on 4 strokes. I do put a small piece of fuel line between the engine and the wheelcollar though to be sure to keep it insulated from the head. Just be sure you use a brass wheelcollar--some are aluminum and you can not solder the wire to them.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

I'm with murphy & Rodney, The only thing that gave me clearance on my OS 120 twin in a Super Cub cowl is the wheel collars .I use two 4000 mah D size batteries wired in series (3 volts) hooked up through a micro switch on the throttle servo with a LED that shows when power is to the plugs, Glow power for two days. MAX H.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:00 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

RAM also makes a dual glow igniter setup.

Stock Number: RAM 43
"Dual Igniter" For two cylinder engines. Uses a 2500 MA Sanyo cell and dual DuBro plug connectors. 1 1/4" X 2" x 2", 5 ounces.

They list it in their catalog for $59.95

www.ramrcandramtrack.com

Dennis-