Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

beginer elecrtic setup ???s

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

beginer elecrtic setup ???s

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 PM
slickscustoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginer elecrtic setup ???s

i'm building a mini telemaster and have a few questions about the power system. i have a 2212 outrunner motor and im thinking of going with a 15A or 18A esc. my real question is about battery packs. i'm thinking of getting a couple of packs and have been looking at around 1000-1500 mah 3s packs. i understand the mah means cappacity and the 3s is cells in the battery. which c rating should i buy? 20c or 25c? i dont want to burn up anything. any info would help thans!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: beginer elecrtic setup ???s

That rating tells you how hard the motor can draw from the pack. The 25C will be able to give the motor more IF the motor needs it. However, a 20C is a very "giving" rate.

A MiniTelemaster is a trainer. If flown like a trainer with an adequate motor, it's not going to need even a 20C rated battery. NOW...........

They recommend an AXI 2208 for that model. I think a 2212 is a step up in power, and with electrics, if you use a bigger motor, it'll usually demand less from the battery.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Continuous and Surge are what you want to pay attention too. 25C is better as discharge rates goes. Surge or burst is what the maximum rating for that particular pack is in a given amount of time.

Its always better to get a little more ampere's out of a speed control, the motor will only take what ever its fed to its maximum. You dont want a 9 amp ESC on a motor that peaks/surges at 10. More is better in this case. The weight difference is not that noticeable on an 11oz plus foamy from a 9 to an 18 ( in my case as it did happen top me), so the 18A would be my bet, with the 25c as it will discharge a little more efficiently. My .02, I hope helps.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they spec both 2212 and 2208 motors as drawing 16A. It'll be a bit safer to use your 18A ESC.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm building my first electric right now too, a Little Gasser from the olden days!!! A little 1/2A plane. I just bought the 2212/09 and have bought the 18A ESC. There are several choices on battery packs so I haven't made up my mind yet. I do make up my own NIMH packs though and I'm all set up for keeping them charged so I'm leaning in that direction right now. That could change at any time though. The more I read about E the less I seem to know.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:43 AM
slickscustoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok that helps alot. i was guessing that a little over kill would be better than a too small esc. so i guess i will go with a 18A esc and a 20-25c battery pack. thanks guys!