Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

WHICH RADIO TO BUY????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WHICH RADIO TO BUY????

Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 PM
OILCANJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH RADIO TO BUY????

THIS IS MY FIRST POST ANYWHERE.
PRETTY GOOD FOR 66 YOUNG. WAS ACTIVE FOR YEARS IN RC, BEEN OUT FOR 10 OR SO YRS. AM TEACHING A 73 YR OLD FRIEND AND HE NEEDS A RADIO..HE HAS OLD UNSTECKERED WIDEBAND..I'M USING A 6000RD AIRT. WITH 8 MOD. MEM. I'D LIKE TO GET HIM A MULTI RECEIVER RADIO , BUT I'M LOST WITH THE NEW GHZ RADIOS?? WE'RE INTO SPORTS, SAILS, AND LITE HELIES. I'VE READ WHERE THE NEW 2.4GH 'S CAN ACQUIRE RECEIVERS,, ??? I'M LOST.. HELP....
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: WHICH RADIO TO BUY????

Depending on how serious you are with this stuff, the new Airtronics SD10G ($500 with 2 receivers) is really hard to beat, especially for guys who like to fly sail planes. It has more sailplane capability than virtually anything ever before. I have the pleasure of living a few miles from Northeast Sailplanes which many of you know about - Sal (the proprietor) is completely bonkers over this radio, and Sal likes nice stuff!

Some of the capability it has involves Crow - if you set up the plane with crow, the radio still has the ability to proportionally control all the surfaces for no loss in control. Apparently the other radios lose some control/capability when crow is deployed.

It also has the longest range of any radio on the market, which came specifically at the request of the sail plane community.

I fly in pattern contests and really like this radio a lot. I've been talking to the pattern community and everyone who has held one really likes it, a lot.

If you want to spend less money, the RDS8000 is a decent radio - a lot of bang for the buck. I had one but it was missing a few features that I really wanted for contest flying. I think you can get one for $150 right now, and it has some good heli features as well.

Spektrum DX-7 is possibly the most popular radio on the market - it's really nice; you pay a few extra bucks, but the quality is there. Our local heli-pro is flying one. He flies in contests too, so he's looking to upgrade, but it has held in there this far...

2.4ghz is just the frequency that the radio operates on. However the new radios that operate on 2.4ghz all have a rapid channel selection system in which they are constantly changing frequency (very rapidly) so that other radios can't interfere with the signal. There is no more worry of being 'shot down' or shooting someone else down - it is really nice. Other than that, the radios are pretty similar to the FM radios - there are nice computer radios and there are inexpensive, minimal radios.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Why not encourage him to get an RDS8000? It'll program very similarly to the RD6000 you have. Makes things easier on everybody when you can help each other out.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

The no brainer choice is on sale for a no brainer price. RDS8000. I have one and love it. It just works. No compaints what so ever.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too say RDS8000. I have (2) RD6000 and I upgraded to RDS8000's. Same programming and more channels. Price is right too. $150.00 for the RDS8000, really hard to beat.

The only thing you need to watch is the antennas, they need to be 90 degrees from each other. that is the only setup issue you need to watch.

Dru.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I too say RDS8000. I have (2) RD6000 and I upgraded to RDS8000's. Same programming and more channels. Price is right too. $150.00 for the RDS8000, really hard to beat.

The only thing you need to watch is the antennas, they need to be 90 degrees from each other. that is the only setup issue you need to watch.

Dru.
Just to clarify, don't most of the 2.4ghz radios have some special requirements with respect to antenna (or second receiver) placement? I have a feeling that's what you meant, but it sounded like it's an issue with only the RDS8000, which I don't believe it is.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM
OILCANJIM

Thanx guys for your inputs..  I will be looking into the rd8000.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
aerofly0610

ORIGINAL: seanucd2000

The no brainer choice is on sale for a no brainer price. RDS8000. I have one and love it. It just works. No compaints what so ever.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp
Ditto
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gaRCfield, yes the 2.4 systems have issues with antennas setups, since he was asking about and I was recommending the RDS8000, I only mentioned that one.

Jim, you will like the RDS8000, great radio.

Dru.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard, your not the only old poo here either. The new radios are just so nice and easy. I'm not a big AT fan but if you have one already the programming on the new 8000 is almost the same thing you are used to, you sure can't beat the price on them either. They come up on sale at Hobby People all the time, every holiday they have a blow out sale. Nice radio and will do everything you need it to. Welcome back to the hobby!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Star7

I really like the rds8000 as well. It can be used with the RD6000 as a buddy box which might be worthwhile to the two of you. As GaRCfield points out, a pattern user would want the next model up but the RDS8000 works very well. The rds8000 is easier to program and more intuitive than my fancier radios.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Jetdesign

The 'user-friendliness' of the RDS-8000 is awesome. I've owned a Futaba and played with some JR radios and so far the RDS-8000 is the most intuitive radio for me to use. It's so easy it's almost funny.