Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What the heck does a Hott look like????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What the heck does a Hott look like????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What the heck does a Hott look like????

I just got a used G-62 that was on a Hott and have no idea what the plane looked like or how much they weigh. The only information I have is that it was called a Hott!!! Can anybody show me a picture of one and tell me about it's specs? I just want to know because I don't want to put this used G-62 into a new 94" 1/4.8 scale Ziroli P-40 D Warhawk and find out to late that the engine was worn out. If I know it was flying a 35 lb. plane I will have my answer.

Thanks,

Barry
Old 12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
mogman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What the heck does a Hott look like????

I can't tell you what a "Hott" is, but unless the engine looks like it was really abused, G62's have a very good reputation for longevity.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

maybe a hots?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

well if you are talking about a hots, It was sort of stick type plane except the fuselage was more of a diamond shape than a square...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: NCIS

I just got a used G-62 that was on a Hott and have no idea what the plane looked like or how much they weigh. The only information I have is that it was called a Hott!!! Can anybody show me a picture of one and tell me about it's specs? I just want to know because I don't want to put this used G-62 into a new 94'' 1/4.8 scale Ziroli P-40 D Warhawk and find out to late that the engine was worn out. If I know it was flying a 35 lb. plane I will have my answer.

Thanks,

Barry
Hots.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39400.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1332212  
Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

The HOTS was an 80's fun fly type airplane; an early version of today's 3D flyer. Easy building, great flying airframe. All sizes from small to giant...

Found these pics at google:

Name:	Hf99453.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1332228  
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a Hots, The only one kitted was the 60 size that I know of, this is the Mid West kit built plane. They were designed by Dan Santich for fun fly's but you can get the plans for this plane from little electric size planes up to the 92 incher. Even a bipe. The Ultra Hots is the 80 inch plane. I get my Hots plans from Model Airplane News plans section. This is one of the all time super duper flying machines in any size you decide to build. I have the plans for the 92 inch plane but my G-62 found a home in a 30% Extra so I still haven't built the big Hots. As fun fly planes they are designed to be very easy builds and go together very fast and easy.
Gene

Name:	Ca81527.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1332240  
Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://dansantichmodels.net/
Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM
NCIS

This plane was huge from what my friend said and to need a G-62 it must have been tail heavy. How big did they make the biggest one?

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Gray Beard

THEY, never did make them, you buy plans and cut your own kit and build it. On the web site Chuck gave us I see they have a short kit for one of them. I have the plans for the Big Hots and it's stated to be 91 inches. I have flown a couple of the 80 inchers that used the Brison 2.4 40cc gas engine and that was all that was needed. In the building article that came with my plans I did see mention of them using a G-62 for testing. Don't quote me on that, it's been a while sense I looked at the plans. I think Mid West was the only one that ever had the rights to this plane, I could be wrong about that too? They only made it in the 60 size like the one in the photo I posted. They also changed the design to make the wing removeable, the plans built planes are one piece. The plans built plane also fly's better, Mid West made the plane a lot heavyer by using more light ply in there construction. Very easy planes to build, they were designed as fun fly planes so if you would compete in a fun fly event you tended to kill a plane or two quite often. As a fun fly plane it does everything you can think of but it is not a presision aircraft like an Edge or Extra. I love the design and get asked about mine all the time.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: RAMFlyer

The HOTS was an 80's fun fly type airplane; an early version of today's 3D flyer. Easy building, great flying airframe. All sizes from small to giant...

Found these pics at google:

thats a beautiful scheme...i love the transparent covering
Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
ChuckW

I did two of the profile fun fly Hots. One was a Morris kit and the other I scratch built. I keep sayign that I'm going to blow up the plans to about a 48" wing span and build one with a .91 4-stroke. One of these days I guess. I also started scratch building an original Hots that I attemnpted to modify a little. That project got sidetracked, damaged and never finished.

Name:	Nl30520.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1333106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21923.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1333107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11358.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1333108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49326.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1333109  
Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 AM
da Rock

Midwest did produced a 35-40 size.

I built mine many, many years ago. And it's still around. It had a 45 on it to begin with and was blazing fast. Also could do a knife edge loop. Awesome and somewhat hairy.

It was built in a week to be a testbed for a new covering method. Epoxy resin with fine glass cloth with the excess resin rolled off with toilet paper. It worked great and the airplane turned out to be a bullet. Epoxy paint to color. Never got around to painting any trim colors. Maiden flight was at about 10F in Minnesnowta. Needless to say, it blended in with the "runway" color. Good thing is the sky up there was almost always blue.

The space inside is not very spacious, however. On the little kit, there's only one hatch and no tank access to speak of.

Name:	Wu60907.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1333308  
Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Midwest did produced a 35-40 size.

I built mine many, many years ago. And it's still around. It had a 45 on it to begin with and was blazing fast. Also could do a knife edge loop. Awesome and somewhat hairy.

It was built in a week to be a testbed for a new covering method. Epoxy resin with fine glass cloth with the excess resin rolled off with toilet paper. It worked great and the airplane turned out to be a bullet. Epoxy paint to color. Never got around to painting any trim colors. Maiden flight was at about 10F in Minnesnowta. Needless to say, it blended in with the ''runway'' color. Good thing is the sky up there was almost always blue.

The space inside is not very spacious, however. On the little kit, there's only one hatch and no tank access to speak of.
See there, another size that Mid West made and I have never seen. What strikes me as odd is I fly the only small Hots I have ever seen at a field and this was once one of the must have planes? If I go out on a weekend I get asked what it is at least a couple of times when new pilots show up. I take it up so high it's just a dot then put in into a flat spin all the way back down, the guys wonder how the wing has stayed on this long. A small white plane?? That would last me maybe a day before I would loose it, my blue one has stripes on the bottom and other then the flat spin I have to fly it very close or it tends to get away from me a few times a day. If I recover it again it will be my basic color blind yellow. HOHUM color but I can see it pretty well. I have a YS 1.10 in mine so it gets with it too. I never found the plane all that fast though but it can really stunt!!