Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nicklen Metal Hydride overcharge question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nicklen Metal Hydride overcharge question

Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Nitro-Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nicklen Metal Hydride overcharge question

ok, I hope this is the right place to post this......I have been in R/c about 3 years....and I know electronics and understand charger settings, different battery chemisrty, etc....but somehow I still messed up!!!!!

I purchased a brand new Hydrimax ULTRA 2000mAh NiMH 6v 5-cell reciever pack........put it on my Piranha Digital peak charger, set to 1 amp charge then 200mA trickle........and I forgot it there for like 4 days!!!! Doah! [X(][:-]

Is this pack going to be OK? The pack was warm when I took it off, but NOT HOT.......warmer than after an overnight charge/trickel but not hot.

Would you trust your new $800 60 size Glow plane to it?

Should I cycle it? I don't know what to do, since I never "Forgot" a battery on a charger before......what a putz I am......could have burned down the house[:@], etc....... I know the rule, NEVER leave a battery unattended....but this time I got lucky, and nothing bad happened......

Just want to get "The Experts Opinion" (That's YOU) on this matter.......not sure if I just waisted $25 on a new Rx Pack or if I can trust this after the 4 day trickle.....

I have had really good luck with the Hydrimax 2000's and the digital charger, it has been a good combo for me.....I have 4 or 5 other packs all working fine for 2 years, many many flights.

But I wonder since this is not a LiPo or some other battery that will let me know for sure it is bad.........I like it when the LiPo's puff up real big like a Puffer Fish just before they explode

Thanks for the help to all who reply and Happy Holidays!

-Tom
Old 12-20-2009, 01:24 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nicklen Metal Hydride overcharge question

My guess is yes, it is still OK. But cycle it to be sure. In the future, I think a 50 mA trickle would be better. That won't hurt the pack at all if you leave it on for a day or two. I'm sure you will get lots of other opinions.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Nitro-Tom

good opinion and I agree...others will have there own, which is why I wanted to start this thread....RCU is awesome!

I read somewhere on a JR 1500mAh NiMH 4.8v pack they recommended 200mA trickle, which is why I purchased that charger, because the little wall brick that came with my Dx7 only trickles at 110mA.......
Old 12-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Nitro-Tom

I should have also included this information in the original post....

On the battery (HCAM6351) there is lots of info, the label says standard charge 11 hours at 200mA
Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 PM
42etus

My guess is also that it is probably OK. Key word being probably. If you have a means to cycle it a couple times and check the capacity, do so. Was it warm, cool or hot when you remembered it? Hot = bad, definitely cycle it before you trust a plane to it.
Paul
Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Nitro-Tom

just warm, but like I said in an earlier post, warmer than if it just charged overnight at 1 Amp peak, and 200mA trickel......

I am going to cycle it a few times with my Thunder Power 610C..........
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I had a nickle for every time I left a battery charging for a few days I'd be rich.

Haven't ruined one yet. Go for it
Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trickle charge for a 2000 mah NiMh battery is 40 milliamps (C/50), not 200 milliamps. 200 milliamps is the slow charge rate (C/10) and should be run for 15 hours. You may get away with it this time but may not next time. I charge all of my NiCad and NiMh batteries at the slow rate for 15 hours when new and after a day at the field. After the slow charge I switch to a trickle charge until I am next going flying. Doing this, my packs have been lasting an average of 3-4 years.

Bruce
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
...Only 4 days!!!??? -No problem!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Constant fast charging shortens battery life Nicd or Nimh period make no mistake. Never fast charge when it will be days before you fly agine that makes no sense. Always use C/10, 200
milliamps or .20 amp (not one amp) with that battery for normal charging as Landeck indicated.

The only time to ever use a fast charge is possibly at the field or at a two day event where there is no time for extended charges, never for normal charging.

Your battery is likely fine though it is not going to live as long now. Learn to use your fancy charger appropriately.

John
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
jimmyjames213

it should be fine, cycle it to be sure. i wouldnt bother with trickle charge but that is just me, no reason to fry a battery when its already fully charged.
if your that worried about it buy another one for your expensive plane and use the fried one for a inexpensive one.
all-battery.com has some good batteries
http://www.all-battery.com/6v2000mah...ctor11106.aspx
for 9 bucks + shipping i would buy a few of them anyways.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:48 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first few charges of a new Ni-Mh pack are crucial to it's performance and longevity.

It's highly recommended that the first few (3 to 5 ) cycles are charged at 1/10th it's rated capacity to "Form" them, or activate the cells chemistry...break them in.

Fast charging the first time is not a good idea...

There are a few guys in our clubs that damaged their new high capacity (2000-2500 ) packs by being impatient and fast charging them the first time.

Nitro-Tom, I would recommend cycling it 3 to 5 times to see what sort of actual capacity you get out of it.
Discharge it at around 400 or 500 mah a few times...re-charge it at 200 mah for 12 to 14 hours.

Check out the Battery and Chargers forum for more info.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

http://www.hangtimes.com/nobsbatteries.html

check this website for handling and care of all types of batteries
Old 12-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Nitro-Tom

Awesome....I was looking for the Batt and Charge forum to post this....I guess that's why I wear glasses [X(]

Thanks for all the great info...to all the replies.....I am learning some new stuff for sure.....

I will post the results of a 2-3 cycle run, as soon as I read the book on my Thunder Power 610C and learn to cycle packs....should be over this x-mas break.

Thanks again to all whom reply and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Nitro-Tom

NO BS Batteries is a good site, lots of info there.......I need to take apart one of these HydriMax Ultra packs (Since I have a few after a crash....just used for bench batteries) and check the welds, see how well they are really made.....over and above the quailty of the cells they used.....I have learned something new again about how important this one Rx pack is in a .60 size plane, which I commonly have $800 invested in.