Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Smoothie

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balsa USA Smoothie

Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 AM
RICMOD5634

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Smoothie

Just noticed that Balsa USA re-released an RC Smoothie kit. I had a smoothie many many years ago as a Control Line kit. So this one caught my eye. Has anyone built this new RC Smoothie and flown it. How was it?
Rich
Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Balsa USA Smoothie

The R/C Smoothie is nothing like the old control line model. The only thing they have in common is the name. Both fly very well! I built the Balsa USA version in the early 90's, and I've built a couple of U/C Smoothies. I would really like to build an R/C version of the old Bob Palmer design.
Doug

The control line version is available from Brodak! [link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=2588]Brodak Smoothie[/link]

Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BUSA Smoothie is just as it's name implies... it's smoothe!

Only modification I would make is buy a set of aluminum landing gear and if you are going to put a stout .40-.46 on it shear web both sides of the spars. Also, if you're going for some speed, move the aileron servos out into the wing bays instead of using the torque rods. I use mine for "Race what you brung" pylon races and it usually does pretty good. On the other end of the spectrum it floats pretty well considering the thick airfoil.

I have built six of these planes over the years and I would put it at the top of my "fun to fly" list. Get one, you won't be sorry.

Don

This is my most recent one

Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Wow Don! That is the prettiest Smoothie I have ever seen. [sm=cool.gif]
Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
RICMOD5634

That is a pretty bird Don. I won't be looking for speed, just a fun Sunday flier and simple aerobatics.
I was thinking of using my Satio 82a since it does't have a home.
Rich
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, an .82 4 stroke might be able to get shoehorned in there. You may have some prop clearance issues as it rotates into level on the takeoff roll. Make the mains a little taller.

Post some pics of it and let us know how the flight goes. It should go vertical with no problems.

Thanks for the compliments you guys

Don