Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do you transport your models?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do you transport your models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
philip clemmons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you transport your models?

So I am quickly acquiring more models/aircraft. I fly both heli and fixed wing. I am considering a small trailer. How do you carry your models to and from the field?

Any pics of set ups would be great!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do you transport your models?

Replaced the Ford F-150 with a used 2004Toyota Sienna. Three times the room and much better gas mileage. Pic below shows the F-150 before it was sold. I have a hanging rack in the van for the wings to lie on and the fuselages sit underneath. All the support equipment(fuel, batteries, tools, etc.) sit in front of the planes. A full eight feet of space behind the front seats is available. And did I mention the gas mileage?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw66501.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	1339916  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

By van, 99 Olds. Holds a lot of stuff!!

Name:	Nl28685.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1339924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78547.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1339925  
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
ChuckW

I currently have a 4-door Silverado truck. With the back seat folded down I can get a 60 size plane and wing(s) back there along with small items. If I take more or larger planes they go in the bed secured in a PVC pipe rack or small sand bags. It can get cramped though with planes, radio, tools, fuel and everything else.

I'm also seriously thinking about an enclosed trailer. I need to poor some concrete in the area where I will likely park it first though. House needs a roof and the wife wants new bathrooms though so my stuff might have to wait a bit.[]
Old 12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
philip clemmons

I am hooked.........................I have 4 helis, and after x-mas, will have 3 airplanes...........

Also 2 gas boats 55"" cat and 50" mono, a 1/5 scale buggy, and a couple 1/8 scale nitros. I really need a trailer. Our field also has a pond, so its a day long affair when we go.

I wanted to figure out how to secure the planes in the trailer, either by hanging or by a high, flat shelf, but would still need a way to keep them locked down.

Got the helis figured out.......................
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Johnkpap

I use Polystyrene "Fruit" boxes as a cradle for each of my low wing planes. You can get them free at most markets here in Australia. Fish markets also use them, but unless you wash them alot they go Smelly []

High wings are just put in on their wheels and stapped down, the wings wraped in foam or a blanket.

My car is a Daewoo Nubira waggon, with the back seat folded down, I always stap my field box and fuel tin down in one corner so they cant shift and damage my planes.

I can fit a 108inch Delair Sporster wing in this car with no problem, as well a Ugly stick and a Red Zepher

Johnkpap
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
ChuckW

You can easily make all sorts of racks from PVC pipe; use foam pipe insulation to help protect the airplane. Bungee cords come in handy too. You could even do some sort of wood rack or fixture custom to each particular plane, boat or helicopter.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
1320Fastback

I have a 99 Subaru Outback and yes I am already out of room. I can pack in a 53" pusher jet, a 48" FW190, my Blade 400, 2 rc cars on the rear floor boards. 3 tool boxes go wherever they fit and front seat holds all the batteries.

Just have to get creative and pack it in. For those with lager WS planes......get a van
Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

You can easily make all sorts of racks from PVC pipe; use foam pipe insulation to help protect the airplane. Bungee cords come in handy too. You could even do some sort of wood rack or fixture custom to each particular plane, boat or helicopter.
Everything that Chuck says. I have one friend that has set his trailer up with over head wing racks and has the fuses on PVC and wood racks on the trailers sides. In the back of the trailer, guess it would be the front, he has made a fold down bed and a small TV stand and shelves. Outside is set up with pull down tables for things like a camp stove and what not. He can pull in his trailer next to his garage, unhitch then plug in an outside cord that runs to his charger inside to recharg his planes. Very cool. He used it for traviling to IMAA events where we would stay for days at the field.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

Careful planing and lots of tiedowns Im able to transport 4-5 1/4 scale in my trailer. The PT hauls it quite well at freeway speeds and long distances. Average 22-24mpg

Name:	Hf99457.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1340053  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM
huck1199

Town & Country van, plenty of room and charge outlets and stow&go seats fold flat.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Town & Country van, plenty of room and charge outlets and stow&go seats fold flat.
Flat folding seats, a big plus, I don't have them!! Sure wish I did.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Vans seem to be the most popular wherever I end up flying. I've been starting to look at the Volvo wagons as they look pretty darn long (I'm interested in something that will transport one or two 2meter long planes in the future.

Trailer seems like a good idea. I've heard vibration is really hard on the planes, but there is one guy in our club (with a horribly bumpy dirt road) who uses a trailer and has no problems.

I figure in about 2 more summers I'll be old enough to not worry about how cool I look driving a wagon/van
Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its very primitive, but gets the job done.... I have a pick up truck, and purchased it before i got into "giant scale" gassers....If i would have known i would have purchased a longbed 4 door tuck

Name:	Mk26997.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1340244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63148.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1340245  
Old 12-23-2009, 12:23 PM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

Metallica, how much does the wind from driving blow your planes around? I'm setting up a 30% Yak for next summer and all I have that can carry it is an open pick-up like you.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
I figure in about 2 more summers I'll be old enough to not worry about how cool I look driving a wagon/van
Vans are cool... At least some people thought they were. (Not me)

Name:	Us53646.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1340426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97900.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1340427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19768.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1340428  
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Vans seem to be the most popular wherever I end up flying. I've been starting to look at the Volvo wagons as they look pretty darn long (I'm interested in something that will transport one or two 2meter long planes in the future.

Trailer seems like a good idea. I've heard vibration is really hard on the planes, but there is one guy in our club (with a horribly bumpy dirt road) who uses a trailer and has no problems.

Joe, those high end musele cars you see on those TV auction shows, I drove them when they were new!! My last nice one was a 69 Stang fast back. If anyone would have told me I would be driving a mini van I would have told them how nuts they were, they just don't fit me at all. I was forced into getting one but now I wonder how I ever went without one. Before I moved I also had a 67 F-250 with a 406, it's hard to remove a musele head from his horse power. I removed the seats in the van, I have a queen size air bed that fits in the back. My wife and I used it for fishing and camping trips and I would stay at the IMAA events for four days. I could haul all my gear and two giant scale bipes without taking them apart. In a pinch you can even use the van as a bedroom!!! Instead of a mini van I would rather have a long cargo van but this is the van I needed at the time. I still have a Mustang in the garage but I call that my wifes car and I call the van mine. It's a shame to have removed all the cool leather seats but it still has every whistle and bell offered in 99, even has a VCR for my evening viewing. No rules that say you must have only one car. You can have a beater van that runs good and any nice car you like. Old vans are cheap.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I bought a Chevy Tahoe , some of the places I fly in Mn, you need 4 wheel drive to get to . Also serves double duty pulling ,camper and boat. Or I hook the trailer to my bike when the roads are'nt to bad , that way I can enjoy both hobby's.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
philip clemmons

Gotta love a mustang guy......................

My previous life:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ial/index.html
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
If anyone would have told me I would be driving a mini van I would have told them how nuts they were, they just don't fit me at all. I was forced into getting one but now I wonder how I ever went without one.
I've managed to end up renting a couple mini vans while traveling and I always have to slap myself because I really end up liking them after a couple days. Plenty of room to haul luggage and other stuff while keeping it dray and clean, room for passengers, easy loading/unloading, good visibility, etc.

If I don't do the trailer, a beater mini van for to and from the field is another option I have considered. Not sure if I want to deal with the wonderful CA registration fees, insurance and upkeep though.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 PM
rcplanes711

I also have traded the full size pickup w/cap in for a mini van. Its a lot easier to get in and out of. Mine has 2 sliding doors and gets great mileage.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: wannabflyboy

Metallica, how much does the wind from driving blow your planes around? I'm setting up a 30% Yak for next summer and all I have that can carry it is an open pick-up like you.

not much turbulence back right behind cab widow...thats why i transport with the more delicate tail feathers closest to the cab... when i first transported i thought it was more logical to point the nose forward and tail feathers to the back, but right at about 50 mph they started moving too much so i tried it backwards and never looked back. I can safely travel 70 mph with a 33% bird in the back of my P/U but try to stay at a safer 55-60
Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: philip clemmons

Gotta love a mustang guy......................

My previous life:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...ial/index.html
It upsets me to watch those car auctions, I don't even want to make a list of all the hot cars I have owned and sold. I was a Dodge man for years but in the 70s I just went for what I liked and could afford. I got my 69 stang FB in 1972 for $1,500 and sold it for the same price but with a 1950 Chev, 6 window truck with a Vett drive train tossed into the deal, very cool truck!!! Today I see what a rebuildable junker is going for and loose my breath. The 04 Stang is OK but it lacks a lot of rumble and shake!!! My van can also haul 4X8 sheets of plywood and very long wood if it fits the center between my front seats. I hauled my 14 Ft. fishing boat behind it up and down the mountains of Yosemite so it doesn't lack for power, gets an Avg. of 23 MPGs and burns the cheap crap. Even hauled a big U-Haul trailer from Calif. to Vegas fully loaded. It may not be a street rod but it sure comes in handy. As long as they have a good sound system I don't care what it is, oh, and a good heater and air conditioner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gene
Old 12-24-2009, 12:26 AM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Chevy S10 pick-up, but sometimes just for fun I use this.

Name:	Bz77517.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1340751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82461.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1340752  
Old 12-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
If anyone would have told me I would be driving a mini van I would have told them how nuts they were, they just don't fit me at all. I was forced into getting one but now I wonder how I ever went without one.
I've managed to end up renting a couple mini vans while traveling and I always have to slap myself because I really end up liking them after a couple days. Plenty of room to haul luggage and other stuff while keeping it dray and clean, room for passengers, easy loading/unloading, good visibility, etc.

If I don't do the trailer, a beater mini van for to and from the field is another option I have considered. Not sure if I want to deal with the wonderful CA registration fees, insurance and upkeep though.
For a single guy, two vehicles just does not make financial sense. I thought about this but quickly proved to myself that it was a bad idea. In theory it's perfect - low milage, big, spacious vehicle for the planes on flying days, Honda w/35mph for general travels. It doesn't work out that easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.