Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Paintball Dropper Idea

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paintball Dropper Idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 PM
fiferguy82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintball Dropper Idea

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so be gentle. :-)

I've been wanting some sort of mechanism to drop paintballs or other stuff from my .40 trainer, but I couldn't find exactly what Iwanted anywhere, so I decided to design one. The problem I was finding was that all the ones Icould find only had a single shot, and I really wanted more shots than that. So Idesigned one, taking bits and pieces from others I'd seen before.

The design consists of two tubes mounted vertically on either side of the plane's fuselage, with a single servo releasing paintballs one at a time. I've included an image so you can see what I'm talking about. The way I've designed it it will give 19 shots, one paintball at a time. The mechanism is just a double wire through each tube that is staggeredone above the paintball and one belowthat moves. The one below slides out of the way, releasing the paintball, and the one above slides over the top, blocking the rest of the tube from unloading. When the switch is hit again, the other tube releases a paintball, while the just-fired tube lets another paintball slide into firing position. I actually got the idea from an old Winchester lever action rifle that Ihave, but I think it'll work well.

I've included a picture so you can get an idea what I'm thinking about building. I think the design would work for paintballs, ping-pong balls, easter eggs, parachuters, etc.

What do you think? Will it work? Suggestions?Comments?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23210.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1340148  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 PM
fiferguy82

Default RE: Paintball Dropper Idea

Oh, and if this is the wrong place to post this, Iapologize in advance. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

thats a good idea, i think it will work. the pvc may be a little heavy and could be swapped out for 3 balsa sticks in a triangle pattern.
im not sure if the paintballs will break on the ground (i doubt it) but that system could easily be modified for water ballons/eggs/ect
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like it will work. I'd like to see more detail on how the wires are connected to the servo.

I also question if they will break on impact.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 PM
fiferguy82

Hmm.. I hadn't considered that paintballs wouldn't break.  I remember seeing something a few years where they were having a bombing competition with paintballs, and that's where the desire to have a mechanism like this came from.  I don't remember any of them having problems with them not breaking, but I can't find a video of it to share with everyone.

Maybe I'll just go back to the trapdoor candy drop instead.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:52 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: fiferguy82

Hmm.. I hadn't considered that paintballs wouldn't break. I remember seeing something a few years where they were having a bombing competition with paintballs, and that's where the desire to have a mechanism like this came from. I don't remember any of them having problems with them not breaking, but I can't find a video of it to share with everyone.

Maybe I'll just go back to the trapdoor candy drop instead.
Toss a paintball straight up about 50 feet and see if it breaks when it hits the ground.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:23 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a working system, be sure to share your design. More than a couple of us would like to see a workable system like this.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

im bored right now so useing his plans im going to make my own, ill post the results with everyone.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 PM
fiferguy82

Hey jimmyjames,

Let us know if it works! :-D

BTW, I've seen really thin, light clear plastic tubes that might work too, but the IDwas way too big to work for this design. It's the kind of tube that's around tennis balls and such. But if you could find one that fit it would be a lot lighter than PVC. Just a thought.

Fifer
Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the clear plastic protective tubes that slide over flourescent shop light bulbs?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 PM
fiferguy82

Might work, but Ithink they'd be too big. Paintballs are normally around the 0.68" diameter, but it's MUCH easier to find tubes that are 0.75" ID. I think that the would be a lot bigger than that. The problem is that the tube has to be no larger than double the size of the paintball, which is why Ichose 0.75".

But hey, give it a shot. You never know.:-)
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Just get the loader tubes that stock class paintball players use. They are clear plastic and hold 10 balls each. If you buy the really cheap paintballs and keep them in a dry location they will break with nearly any impact. I've even had them break in the gun before.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Jetdesign

Paintballs generally break in the gun because of the bolt trying to fire a ball before it's fully loaded in the chamber. When I read the above idea I thought about this; if the next ball in line has not fully dropped beyond the upper wire, the upper wire may retract and puncture the ball. I'm definitely not saying this won't work, just that you'll need to play with it on the ground and watch the action of the balls as they slide down the tube.

The 10 shot paintball tube is a good idea. In paintball, they use guns called sidearms (sydearms?) which are 10 shot guns for when you run out of gas/ammo in your main gun. There may be an appropriate cartridge that will work in your application. I have never used one, only my sweet, sweet Automag [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

My guess is that only some of the balls will break with ground contact. An older paintball may not break when it hits a human at 300ft/sec. This is purely a hypothesis though as I've never dropped a paintball from 50/100 feet and watched the results!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
jester_s1

In gun breaks are usually from a chop as you describe, but I have also blown them to pieces in the barrel with a properly functioning shot. I have also seen the cheap ones break from being dropped on the ground while loading the hopper too. If you'll do a search about stock class paintball you'll see the loaders I'm talking about. They are for special tournaments, usually played with pump guns, that only allow 10 shots in the gun at a time.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

In gun breaks are usually from a chop as you describe, but I have also blown them to pieces in the barrel with a properly functioning shot. I have also seen the cheap ones break from being dropped on the ground while loading the hopper too. If you'll do a search about stock class paintball you'll see the loaders I'm talking about. They are for special tournaments, usually played with pump guns, that only allow 10 shots in the gun at a time.
So you're saying the paint I bought for $80/case at the field might have actually been worth the money?? [:'(][X(][:@][8D][&:]
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
fiferguy82

Isee what you mean Joe. I think part of it might be my drawing, but now that Ithink about, I'm not sure bending the wire like that will work. Like you said, it may puncture the paintball before it loads/releases/etc. (a premature detonation...anyone? ).

Iactually just had another idea that might even work better. It would only require two wires instead of 4... let me draw it out and I'll post it.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
fiferguy82

How about this one?

Instead of two wires, the latest version uses a plunger to both block and push. As the plunger pushes the paintball out the tube to the side, it also blocks the rest so only one falls at a time. Again, as one tube drops, the other is reloading. I think this would prevent breakages, since the upper ball (the one still in the magazine) wouldn't have a chance to get in the way at all.

I figure the outer box will be balsa with a small bump or something to keep the paintball from coming out before the plunger pushes it out. The inner plunger would either be a block of balsa, plastic, or a built up box itself. Pushrod can be attached many different ways, depending on how the plunger is done.

Thoughts?

Name:	Lj21666.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1344016  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:16 PM
jester_s1

If you want a simpler system, make a short "L" bend at the end of your feed pipe, and make it just a little too small for the balls to roll out on their own. The last ball will sit there, and you can use a plunger to push it out. That's how paintball guns work, except for shortly after they push the ball past the tight spot they give it a shot of air.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
fiferguy82

That's basically what that design is.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 AM
huck1199

How about this setup? I hope the pic shows up.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
fiferguy82

Hi huck,

I can't see anything.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 PM
edstrek
My Feedback: (49)

First Annual Paintball Airplane shoot.
Yes You Can Shoot Paintballs At Our Flying R/C Aircraft!

Saturday July 17th starting at 9:00am into the afternoon.

FUND RAISER: five dollars for 50 shots at our planes.
Safe controlled shooting.
Your paintball marker (gun) or ours.
LADIES:
Do not be shy you can do it as well as kids 12 and up.
We will have shade.
This is really a hoot!
Welcome All
Also Included In The Family Fun Event.

Free introductory lesson: Yes on a real flying model.
Get your fingers on the control sticks.

Planed entertainment:
Giant Scale R/C aircraft demo
R/C Helicopter demo
Aerobatic R/C Aircraft Exhibition
R/C War Birds.

Dukes Famous Sausage will be onsite
WHERE: Florence Colorado
Freemont County Radio Control club site is located ½ mile south of Hwy. 50 on Hwy 67
Just south of the Freemont County Airport. There will be signs.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ping-pong ball dropper.. one at a time.

Name:	Zw69505.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1453429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26730.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1453430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51613.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	116.8 KB