Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sparmann P-1 Drawings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sparmann P-1 Drawings

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sparmann P-1 Drawings

This may not be the right place to post this, but it's a good place to start. Back in the 1970's, early '80', William Wylam and others were featured. One of the planes Iwanted to build when Igot old enough was the Swedish trainer, the Sparmann P-1. It was a beautiful single seat plane with an inverted was a 4-cylinder de Havilland Gipsy Major engine of 130 hp. (Same as the Tiger Moth Ilearned to fly in.)
I'd sure appreciate it if you folks would dig through those old musty mags and help me out here. The Sparmann would be a perfect subject for "any" power, mode of control or size. I'm also interested in the Douglas "O" series observation planes from the same magazines. They would be sweet as F/F or electric scale.
Thanks in advance, Troy
Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Sparmann P-1 Drawings

I remember that pretty little airplane in that artical. And I agree seems it was in Air Progress.

http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Misc/461P1.htm

John
Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 AM
BtnFlyGuy

John, Iwould not be suprised if it was AP. Those were my high school days and between AP, MAN and American Aircraft Modeler Iwas swamped with aviation mags rather than motorcycles, hot rods or Playboy. I was one of the fortunate ones; Iwas learning to build and fly models in Texas at the same time Iwas learning to fly full scale. Here's a picture of a reproduction of my first trainer, the TigerMoth. The original N10LW was used to make a couple of movies. But Idigress...
Any help for those drawings from anyone is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56732.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1342010  
Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The Wylam drawings for the Sparmann P-1 appeared in Air Classics magazine about this time. I have the magazine somewhere and would be happy to copy the drawings if I can find it. Scale R/C Modeler also ran a construction article on a very nice P-1 but I don't remember who the plans were drawn by. Once again, I think I have the mag somewhere and would be happy to copy the article if I can find it. I like the Sparmann as well and started to draw plans for one many years ago but did not progress very far before moving on to other projects.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the best scale drawings of the Sparmann P-1 is by Peter Westburg.
The drawings can be ordered from the Smithsonian:

[link=http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/WebPDF/westburg.pdf]Westburg plans[/link]
Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Thanks for the help, fellows! I'd like those drawing from you, Chad and it looks like I'll get a chance to use my Smithsonian discount for the first time in 10 years!
If anyone else has info on the Sparmann, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:15 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Thanks for the info re the Smithsonian plans archives. Ieven found the Douglas observation plans Iwas looking for, though I'd sure like to have the Air Classics issues for all of them.Here Icaome Ebay again.