Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ENGINE SIZE

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:31 AM
vapour trail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE SIZE

HI ALL,
Just finished an 88 inch wingspan piper cub Could somebody tell me if my four stroke ASP 52 will have enough power to fly it comfortably.Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
BLUE SKIES AND NIL WIND TO ALL.
Thanks in advance LEE (VAPOUR TRAIL)
Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: ENGINE SIZE

What does your manual say is the recommended engine size?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Hangar 9 80 inch Cub that I flew with an OS 70 Surpass II four-stroke. It had "plenty" of power. I often thought a 50ish sized four-stroke would be more scale like. If your Cub is in the weight range of the Hangar 9 Cub, then it should be fine.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 AM
aerofly0610

The GP Cub is 90" and recommends a min of .70 for 4s. I have a 91 4s in mine. More power than it needs but I can use it for small warbirds in the future. You could ask an experienced pilot to maiden it on the smaller engine and get feed back on if itll be stable enough or tend to stall.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
telejojo

I have the Hanger 9 cub and it is plenty but not enough for floats.I had to go with a 70 for floats.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

While it may fly the airplane it is most certainly going to disappoint you and keep in mind underpowered airplanes are more difficult to fly and will require proportionatly greater skills. This fact alone tends to shorten the lifespan of the airplane.

John
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Archie League

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

While it may fly the airplane it is most certainly going to disappoint you and keep in mind underpowered airplanes are more difficult to fly and will require proportionatly greater skills. This fact alone tends to shorten the lifespan of the airplane.

John
This is precisely why some people prefer the smaller engine, to enhance the realism. Going small on the engine is an aquired taste, but very, very rewarding.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Archie League

This is precisely why some people prefer the smaller engine, to enhance the realism . Going small on the engine is an aquired taste, but very, very rewarding.

Yes of course, agreed however it's also the number one reason for diappointment with most folks particuarly if their skills may not be up to the task. Make no mistake I am not suggesting gross overpowering like the 3D enthusiast either but my opinion remains that a .56 four stroke for a near ninty inch cub is grossly underpowered and I would not recomend such as its certain to disappoint.

John
Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The early Cubs and T-Craft's were flown on 37 and 40 H.P. Continentals...so you might get "scale like" performance with the .52

Hmmm...37-40 H.P. on a warm day with 2 adults on board...ummm...
Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fly it with a larger engine. After getting accustomed to the airplane's 'manners' change the engine. Now, with c.g. in same location pick a nice still air day and give it a trial. You'll either love it or hate it! I love to fly the wing instead of the engine. Tailwinds, ARUP
Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
JohnBuckner

I have owned two full scale J-3's, a C-65 and a C-75 and I have ridden as a passenger one time in a J-2 C-40 but never agine! Thoese versions were basically incapable of carrying two people and were simply dangerous.

Grossly underpowered full scale airplanes are just as miserable and dangerous as their small scale counterpart.

John